Chase Merritt Charged W/Murder of Joseph, Summer, Gianni and Joe Jr McStay #4

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, if the prosecution rests tomorrow, there won't be any witnesses of how CM went around cheating people out of money?

I think since the DT isn't going to put on any mitigating factors the ST decided not to pile on.

It may be better on appeals.

However, I've never seen any other case where the convicted's full criminal history didn't come in.

But honestly, I've never seen any case done this way, and hope I never do ever again.

Imo

That is a major disappointment
I think if it isn't introduced before the jury deliberates there must be a legal reason for it. Maybe this is a two step process and it will come in at actual sentencing? I think there is more to come after deliberations because I recall the judge saying that Mike's testimony about his feelings about Merritt would be appropriate at the victim impact stage. It's very difficult to understand the differences between aggravation and victim impact but maybe there is a subtle difference and we'll find out. Hope the cameras stick around so we get to see all of it to the end!

JD Crighton (@JDCrighton) | Twitter
Mr. Aranda is excused @ 2:21 pm. The People are working on possibly Skyping Tracy Russell. If they are not able to call her, they plan on resting tomorrow.

Judge Smith made adequate findings following the in camera session with Chase Merritt to ensure Chase is in agreement with the waiver regarding calling no witnesses.

The PT said that they have not heard back from Tracy, which to me means they know where she is and left a message for her. I wonder why she did not know the penalty phase was today and why she did not contact the PT herself. ?? MOO
What is the point really? I think they are spent.
Maybe they will come on board for victim's statements.
Just guessing but maybe they are relieved with a guilty verdict and could care less about the rest of it?

@gitana1 ... if one state (CA on this occasion) is most unlikely to follow through with a death sentence to the letter of the law - end a life by an unnatural means, does it naturally follow that a jury in this state (eg CA) would be less 'morally challenged' to agree to a death sentence option, rather than in a different state where a death sentence were more likely to be carried out 'to the end'.
If a death sentence were to be handed down in CA, would any appeal be less likely to be upheld, due to the above?

@gitana1 ... if one state (CA on this occasion) is most unlikely to follow through with a death sentence to the letter of the law - end a life by an unnatural means, does it naturally follow that a jury in this state (eg CA) would be less 'morally challenged' to agree to a death sentence option, rather than in a different state where a death sentence were more likely to be carried out 'to the end'.
If a death sentence were to be handed down in CA, would any appeal be less likely to be upheld, due to the above?
Is this what you're asking? (I had to dummy it down for my own sake. ;))

Would Merritt's jury be more or less likely (comfortable/okay) to hand down a death sentence since it will probably not be carried out?

Is this what you're asking? (I had to dummy it down for my own sake. ;))

Would Merritt's jury be more or less likely (comfortable/okay) to hand down a death sentence since it will probably not be carried out?

Sorry mate... 'more likely' to hand down a death sentence (ie less inhibited, due to exoneration of responsibility for early death). I guess I'm asking an ethical question.

Since the first day of passing out flyers with Joey's Mom, Susan Blake. I have followed this crime.
Now that we know who murdered in cold blood this entire family.
I really want the rest of Chase Merritt's life to be hellacious.
Yes. I really do.
I want the rest of his life to be an ongoing nightmare.
This One man has devastated so many people, for what? Money.
It's not mentioned much here, but the likelihood that he raped Summer in addition to bashing in her little boy's heads has me over the top.
Absolutely monstrous.
I personally feel nothing but scathing anger at this murderer.
I really do hope that justice is going to put him in a nightmare.
For the rest of his miserable life.
Done.

Welcome to California. Where right is wrong.

I think since the DT isn't going to put on any mitigating factors the ST decided not to pile on.

It may be better on appeals.

However, I've never seen any other case where the convicted's full criminal history didn't come in.

But honestly, I've never seen any case done this way, and hope I never do ever again.

Imo

What is the point really? I think they are spent.
Maybe they will come on board for victim's statements.
Just guessing but maybe they are relieved with a guilty verdict and could care less about the rest of it?
I agree. That poor family has re-lived this heinous act, over and over. They need to heal. I personally feel, that it would have much more impact to bring in CM's past victims. Some of the people he cheated and robbed/burglarized. Give the jury a pic of his character and how he's lived his life.

Wednesday, June 19th:
*Penalty Phase Trial (Day 3) (@ 9:30am PT) - CA - McStay Family: Joseph (40), Summer (43), Gianni (4) & Joey Jr (3) (Feb. 4, 2010, Fallbrook; found Nov. 11, 2013) - *Charles "Chase" Ray Merritt aka Charles Ray Mandel aka Charles Ray Morritt aka Chase Meredith aka Chase Jarvis (57/now 62) arrested (11/5/14) & indicted (11/7/14) of 4 counts of murder with special circumstance. Plead not guilty. Held without bond. DP case.
Trial started 1/7/19. Dark on all Fridays. Jurors started with 8 women & 4 men; now have 9 women & 3 men (alternates started with 4 men & 2 women-alternates left 1 men & 1 woman). Took about 22 hours of deliberations for guilty verdict on all 4 counts of 1st degree murder with special circumstance.
Trial Days (1-63: 1/7/19 thru 6/7/19) & Verdict (6/10/19) & Penalty Phase Day 1 (6/11/19) reference post #275 here:
GUILTY - Chase Merritt Charged W/Murder of Joseph, Summer, Gianni and Joe Jr McStay #4

6/18/19 Day 2: Afternoon session only. State witness: Kenneth Aranda from Hawaii via Skype (Summer's brother). Done for the day. Prosecution wants testimony from Summer's Sister, Tracy Russell, who is currently on vacation in Greece via Skype tomorrow. If not, the pros will rest in the penalty phase. Penalty phase continues on 6/19.
Schedule for Penalty Phase-Week of June 17 thru 21st: NO court-6/17-Monday; Court on 6/18-Tuesday starts @ 1:30pm; Court on 6/19-Wednesday; Court on 6/20-Thursday; Court on 6/21-Friday (Maybe?).
Schedule for Penalty Phase-Week of June 24 thru 28th: Judge will give instructions for deliberations-6/24, Monday; Jury deliberations-6/25, Tuesday and on.

I think this comes across as a cop out. The jury have a right to now know the person they have found guilty of the murders.

Show them that he was criminal all his life, show them that after the family vanished he was still trying con people. This stuff is important as it shows that his entire life he was trying to take advantage of people.

It’s ridiculous that this isn’t happening and again
it shows very poorly on the team and how poor they have been. A guilty verdict doesn’t take away from the fact they have been pretty lack lusture.

MOO

I've given it a little thought and I've no idea if this is right, but I wonder if the prosecution doesn't want to risk anything that could lead to appeal against the penalty, if jurors don't know about the past bad acts they can't use it to sway them more towards the harshest penalty, ie/ makes it more likely he did this if there was any residual doubt which the defence is going to harp on about, and jury has only to consider the facts they deliberated on during the guilt phase. I also think this is compounded by defence tactically deciding not to introduce mitigating evidence that would cast him in a better light, giving prosecution more of a need to refute. As McGee said, can't inflame the passions of the jury.

I think viewed like that it makes more sense that the prosecution don't make it look like they need to bolster their case. It tests the guilt and the penalty verdict better.

JMO

Sorry mate... 'more likely' to hand down a death sentence (ie less inhibited, due to exoneration of responsibility for early death). I guess I'm asking an ethical question.

Imo, that will not enter the jurors mind when deliberating the just sentence.

They will only recommend death if they believe it's the correct sentence that best suits the crimes he committed.

I don't believe any of the over 700 plus CA juries who recommended death as the just punishment brought in to their determinations what may or may not happen afterwards.

It's totally irrelevant to these juries who's sole duty in the penalty phase is to recommend the correct punishment that they believe fits the crimes the convicted has done.

Will the jury believe he is one of the worst? Imo, yes!!!

The murdering of two tiny defenseless terrified little boys is enough for the jury to believe the harshest punishment should be imposed under CA law.

Jmho

I think this comes across as a cop out. The jury have a right to now know the person they have found guilty of the murders.

Show them that he was criminal all his life, show them that after the family vanished he was still trying con people. This stuff is important as it shows that his entire life he was trying to take advantage of people.

It’s ridiculous that this isn’t happening and again
it shows very poorly on the team and how poor they have been. A guilty verdict doesn’t take away from the fact they have been pretty lack lusture.

MOO

True, but I think both Imes, and Melissa are very in tune with this jury after seeing them for months now.

Imo, both feel the state doesn't need to show any further information on how bad CM is.

The murders themselves...how they were done..why they were done, and who all his victims were.. shows the jury CM is one of the worst.

His career congames can't begin to compare to the ultimate violent homicides he did against all 4 of his victims.

Imo, the state knows the jury is ready to deliberate his fate now without any further add ons.

Since the DT did not put on a case in this phase it's a wise move by the state to make it only about the murders.

It shrinks any appeal issue greatly imo.

JMHOO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member