Cheryl Hodges Dunlap, 46, Crawfordville FL *merged threads*

Glitch, do you mean a different body has been found by your home than the one they just id'd as Cheryl's?

Not recently, but the woods in this area aren't an uncommon body dump site.

The paper now says they're bringing in the big FBI guys - the ones who do the (can't think of the term) typing. The ones who say the race, age and probable characteristics of the perpetrator.

The biggest hinderance to information we have around here is specuation. A majority of what is leaking out has been found to be true (for example the police finally contend that the perp went through extensive measures to hide the identity of the body... when everyone already "knew" second hand that she was minus her hands and head.)
But there are also emails and other stories that are purposefully made up and causing Law Enforcement to take time to deal with the made up rumors.

So many are cutting down our law enforcement and trying to discredit them. All I can think of is thank GOD they have to deal with this and I do not. It's a thankless job for sure.

The poor family.

Yeah, no joke about the speculation around here. The hunter that found the body of Cheryl told a friend and then that person told a friend. . . just awful. All you have to do is read the forums at the Tallahassee Democrat to see what I'm talking about. . . I won't repeat it here.

People are freaked because of the speculation. I was severely torqued off yesterday about it. My oldest told me that the teachers at the local schools are telling some of the kids all of these gory details! Teenage hysteria is wild and rampant at the high school. I know it's going to be a topic of conversation, but damn people! Telling high school kids that a serial killer is loose. . . WTF?!

ETA: Saw ya over at the forum too, Glitch! Get em girl!

Sorry to double post.

I tried to read the forum over at the Democrat on the latest article, and could only get through about half of it until I had to close the window. The bickering is just ridiculous. They're trying to connect every suspicious death here in the area in the last six months to this "serial killer". They're even speculating about cases where LE already has suspects in mind. Good Lawd.

I think as far as serial killers go, we had our quota filled when Ted passed through FSU many years ago. What keeps going through my head is an old vet medicine saying--"If it looks like a horse, sounds like a horse and smells lke a horse, it's a horse---not a zebra. So don't go looking for zebras." This whole serial killer thing sounds like a bunch of hooey, and it's scaring the crap out of our kids.

Not recently, but the woods in this area aren't an uncommon body dump site.

The paper now says they're bringing in the big FBI guys - the ones who do the (can't think of the term) typing. The ones who say the race, age and probable characteristics of the perpetrator.

The biggest hinderance to information we have around here is specuation. A majority of what is leaking out has been found to be true (for example the police finally contend that the perp went through extensive measures to hide the identity of the body... when everyone already "knew" second hand that she was minus her hands and head.)
But there are also emails and other stories that are purposefully made up and causing Law Enforcement to take time to deal with the made up rumors.

So many are cutting down our law enforcement and trying to discredit them. All I can think of is thank GOD they have to deal with this and I do not. It's a thankless job for sure.

The poor family.

I think they are bringing in FBI Profilers as they believe they have an unusual situation there. It is uncommon to dismember and some serial killers like to have trophies, others don't. Not saying it is a serial killer but that is a possibility. It also seems she was a victim of circumstance vs. being stalked.

In other words this perp may have been traveling through town and not local at all. But, I still wouldn't let my guard down.

I think they are bringing in FBI Profilers as they believe they have an unusual situation there. It is uncommon to dismember and some serial killers like to have trophies, others don't. Not saying it is a serial killer but that is a possibility. It also seems she was a victim of circumstance vs. being stalked.

In other words this perp may have been traveling through town and not local at all. But, I still wouldn't let my guard down.

My daughter and I discovered that leaving your guard UP has consequences, too. Last night we went down CJ Spears Road (a stone's throw from where the car was found) and after just seeing the sign of this woman's face and knowing we were between where her car was and where she was found... we were on EDGE. Anyway, at the side of the road partially in the woods were two heavy duty plastic things - a sheet of heavy duty clear plastic and a construction type black bag - both around an object the turkey vulchures were picking on. All I could see was a ribcage with bright red meat on it.

I pulled over. My daughter turned away and nearly vomited. I was not wanting to go look, but I could only remember all the plastic bags from CSI and other tv shows, and that hunters leave carcasses out in the open, not wrap them up... I thought for sure it was a body dump of another person.

It was a deer. It had much missing, completely skinned and I assume it's head is about to be over a fireplace and it's two front feet will be a gun rack eventually.

I have NEVER seen this in a bag, and my daughter is all up in the hype and thinks someone did this as a cruel joke. I talked to a hunter friend and he said "Yeah, the guy didn't want the deer carcass to bleed in his car." Makes sense to me NOW. Didn't THEN.

Anyway, for those of you in my neck of the woods:
The Wakulla County Sheriff's Office is hosting a firearms and personal-safety course for women. The event, which includes firearms practice, starts at 8 a.m. Saturday at the Sheriff's Office, 15 Oak St., Crawfordville. The cost is $10. For more information, call Sgt. Fred Nichols at (850) 251-1676.

You can meet both me and my daughter there. He knows Donna is 15, and did not turn her away, so it isn't just adult women allowed. We will be there.

i feel like it's not a serial killer, but just some scum drug addict or dealer who needed some quick cash and took advantage of an innocent woman.
they dismembered her because they did not want to get caught and they have probably done it before. why else would the guy go straight to the ATM with her card? (assuming it's the same person). most serial killers don't do it for the money.

i feel like it's not a serial killer, but just some scum drug addict or dealer who needed some quick cash and took advantage of an innocent woman.
they dismembered her because they did not want to get caught and they have probably done it before. why else would the guy go straight to the ATM with her card? (assuming it's the same person). most serial killers don't do it for the money.

This is so true they don't do it for money. But, times are hard. The ATM visits were on a weekend. Could have dismembered her for added time in not recognizing the body or not. She was going to be identified so why do this?

All I am saying is that the Baton Rouge serial killings went on for a long time after patterns were identified and the public was not notified. Granted panic is not a good thing but recognizing certain behaviors or targets is very tangible in eliminating victims.

The other thing is that profilers need to give leeway into serial killers. They will strike a different pattern if it suits them. Way to many cases to name right now but it happens.

People need to be aware of what is going on in their areas and to act to protect themselves. Yes, it is random but the more knowledge you have the better it is for your overall protection.

The cop at the Wakulla County S.O. women's safety class said there was ZERO physical evidence she was abducted from her car, so we should be cautious in our daily activities rather than only during a flat tire.

I don't know rumor from fact anymore - I was told "matter of factly" by my father yesterday that the killer was linked to three other murders - but I haven't heard that officially - however, I did get a 357 Magnum from him for Christmas, so I'll let him believe whatever he wants to!

I brought this over from the Missing Persons Information and Support forum so that it can be opened for discussion.

Here is the link to the original forum:

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=56986

Facts and Loose Timeline:

She was last seen at about 9 AM at her home in Crawfordville, FL.

Her car, a white Toyota Camry, was found on the shoulder of Hwy. 319 headed Southbound (which is towards Crawfordville and away from Tallahassee).

She lived alone and had two grown sons.

She grew up in Wakulla County, and returned here to live this past summer after living in Alabama.

She spoke to a friend by phone just before noon on Saturday, and the friend says it was just a normal phone call and nothing out of the ordinary.

A call from Cheryl to a minister at her church was missed at 2:15 PM on Saturday. Cheryl was unable to be reached by phone later that day.

She did not show up for teaching her Sunday school class at church on Sunday morning, which was completely out of character.

She did not show up for work Monday morning at Florida State University. She is a nurse at an on-campus health center.

Her dog, a chihuahua, was left at home.

She had told friends that she was going to FSU to download some pictures one of her sons had e-mailed her.

A recent book purchase that was out of character as it was not religious in nature. It's called, "Wonderlust: A Spiritual Travelogue for the Adventurous Soul".

Noted in the comments blog for the Tallahassee Democrat:

*Something that I wondered. . . . if she was headed into Tallahassee for the afternoon, why was her car headed as if she going into Crawfordville?

*Re: Hwy. 319 being a scary place. I have broken down on that road at night before. It's a little spooky and as it's "country living", you won't see any streetlights. I'm not sure exactly where the car was found, but if it's right as you get to the county line, there's a road to the left and a road to the right, but no homes nearby. It's also right on the edge of a National Forrest, with a lot of woods and sinkholes around. The closest store is a little country store just about a mile away, if that.

*Rumor is that her purse was in her car, and a pink sweater was seen on the side of the roadway. Her cell phone was dead in her car with her purse, but her wallet and keys were gone.

*The Florida Department of Law Enforcement, or FDLE, is involved in the case.

*Although not reported on, there has been active searching in the area by LE.

*Friends that have talked to LE say that the rumors of blood evidence and flies in/on her car trunk are just that. . . . rumors.

Here's a start. If anyone is in the local area and can add anything to this, please feel free. I'm having a hard time understanding how a woman who had to be walking down a fairly busy highway in the middle of a Saturday afternoon could just go "poof".

More Information Made Public in Wakulla Woman's Murder

..snip... Sunday afternoon, investigators said they've added another vehicle to their search for clues. They say the so-called "camo" truck may not be a "camo" color at-all.

more at link..

http://www.wjhg.com/home/headlines/12804997.html

Thanks for the info. So, it seems that black extended cab is still the one to search for in the area or surrounds.

A computer generated wrap? The person of interest is not only a pro at disguising himself, but his truck as well! How lovely.
Are there any new details circulaiting around Fl.?

Law Enforcement isn't saying anything new at this point. Apparently the Leon County Sheriff's Dept, Wakulla County SD, FSU PD, Florida Depart. LE, and the FBI are envolved in the case.

I think the number 1 lead right now is the "camouflage" truck. I think if this story went national someone would recognize that truck. Please if anyone has any way of getting national news stations interested in this story please do so.

Unfortunately during cold weather season here, there are more than a few trucks that have camo.

Case in point: I showed my kiddos the pic, and I said, "Gee, that looks like the truck we saw when I was picking you up from school two weeks ago. . remember we commented on it?". This is IN Crawfordville. The next day we were talking about it while I was driving them home from school and the uniqueness faded. . . I saw three trucks with camo that day.

I hope that they aren't pinning all of their hopes on that truck. Not trying to stereotype Wakulla County, but it is "country living" and heading out to a management area to hunt for a weekend is a pretty regular thing. Camo is not a rarity.

The truck would be easily ID, but not if that camoflauge is a wrap like ipswitch posted. Let's hope the killer was careless in some way so that LE and FBI can get to him quickly!

If he knows to disguise both himself and his truck...this wasn't his first time. I wonder how many other victims there are.

I wonder where you would get a wrap like that for a truck. I wonder if the wraps can be traced.

I wonder where you would get a wrap like that for a truck. I wonder if the wraps can be traced.

Here are a few companies that have wraps:

http://www.huntersfriend.com/camo-truck-wrap/camoclad-full-truck-camo-wrap-kit.htm
(I liked this page because it went into a good explanation about the wrap process and what it is.)

http://www.camo4u.com/

http://www.trailmasteroutdoors.com/products/index.php?type=65

http://www.camomyride.com/

http://www.mackspw.com/Item--i-CMW280S

Sheriff discusses Dunlap case

Leon County Sheriff Larry Campbell said investigators have released all the information they can in the Cheryl Dunlap homicide without compromising the investigation.
In a Direct Access interview with the Tallahassee Democrat , Campbell said some citizens are trying to act as detectives in the case and are asking for crime-scene photos and other information.

http://www.tallahassee.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080103/NEWS01/801030327/1010

I can't even fully comment on this. Why release details in hope of the public's help, then berate those wanting to help? Press release of man at ATM and truck photos, anyone? :doh:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cindy88
Back