Australia Claremont Serial Killer, 1996 - 1997, Perth, Western Australia

Status
Not open for further replies.
The way you 'greet' people AG it makes it seem as though you believe you are the gate keeper for this forum.

The public servant mentioned on the video you know is not PW it is LW = Lance Williams.

They were both public servants. So you were right Ausgirl. Don't listen to the garble. Its inaccurate.

One suspect Ausgirl was a psychologist at schools for the education department I believe. It may well be his little game. Lets see how it pans out.

If the rumours are true, yes the bodies were disfigured to destroy evidence and I believe evidence its the same killer so only the police who have seen it know

No worries. It's actually a custom here to welcome new posters. :)

I am 90% glad they never released the details of the injuries, etc, if they're horrible enough to affect seasoned police officers like that. But in a way it's annoying after all this time for those looking for similar crimes here and elsewhere.

Hi Ausgirl,

Sarah Spiers; Bright Spier, Ciara Glennon; Dark Cloak. Check the Celtic meanings of these names

The death lily, in Celtic, a bright spire wrapped in a dark cloak?

View attachment 71269

No worries. It's actually a custom here to welcome new posters. :)

I am 90% glad they never released the details of the injuries, etc, if they're horrible enough to affect seasoned police officers like that. But in a way it's annoying after all this time for those looking for similar crimes here and elsewhere.

I highly doubt he knew them by name and this was a part of his MO. I believe it was all in who was unlucky enough to have been waiting for a taxi. The footage they first released clearly showed a group of pub goers clearly walk forward as to enter a car, then step back as Jane was called forward. What else could it be but a Taxi. Maybe the guy she spoke to was driving that car and the police know this from talking to the others that were sent back? As soon as I pointed this out it was removed and has never been released again. I won't even bother with the football thread and have no alias. I am who I am and this is the first time I have looked at anything to do with the case in 5 years.

And there was more to the disfigurement of the bodies than just making it harder for the police. There was a certain ritual he performed on each girl as I was told by my sister. I think I was spot on too. Why else was the task force so adamant they had found their man when I mentioned these details. Surely they have counted me out by now. They have my dna, I was living in Brisbane with a baby girl and have never harmed a soul in my life. I just think i'm very switched on and seen stuff in the evidence they didn't expect the average joe blow to see.

Please stop with the sarcasm.

The easiest way I can tell you about how we expect our members to behave is this: Just don't be a jerk. If someone is a jerk to you alert on the post. DO NOT RESPOND. The alert button is in the lower left have corner of the post. It's a small triangle.

Be nice, don't be a jerk, and you will love it here. Promise :)

Just came across this thread.. wow a lot of interesting info. This case has always intrigued me.

I actually went to the same school as Sarah and Ciara… Ciara's mother was my teacher at various stages too. I was studying there at the time of their disappearances. Ciara's death was probably the hardest one for the school as her mother was teaching there at the time, so it really hit home.

When I left school I used to frequent Claremont Hotel (well the Red Rock as it was called back then) and my friends and I were always super vigilant to not be alone, it's terrible I know but we used to say that we need to be careful being ex-Iona girls!

kinesic analysis, look into it. One of the many ways suspects are being profiled.

Just came across this thread.. wow a lot of interesting info. This case has always intrigued me.

I actually went to the same school as Sarah and Ciara… Ciara's mother was my teacher at various stages too. I was studying there at the time of their disappearances. Ciara's death was probably the hardest one for the school as her mother was teaching there at the time, so it really hit home.

When I left school I used to frequent Claremont Hotel (well the Red Rock as it was called back then) and my friends and I were always super vigilant to not be alone, it's terrible I know but we used to say that we need to be careful being ex-Iona girls!

LB, let me extend to you the customary welcome wagon.. hehe. Also this must have been so awful for the people surrounding the case, just being young and in the area would have scared me stiff.

Being that you're local, might I ask.. these pubs the victims were frequenting, were they they main night spots for the cool 18-25 crowd to go? And did a lot of girls from Iona frequent them? Were a lot of other 'school crowds (ie, from other local schools) that also went. or was Iona the main school in the area, ergo there were a lot of Iona girls going there.

Just looking for some perspective on that.. Like, the fact several victims shared a school might not be strange of it was the main source of young female pub-goers in the immediate area, and these pubs were where the classy girls went as opposed to ferals, if that makes sense?

LB, let me extend to you the customary welcome wagon.. hehe. Also this must have been so awful for the people surrounding the case, just being young and in the area would have scared me stiff.

Being that you're local, might I ask.. these pubs the victims were frequenting, were they they main night spots for the cool 18-25 crowd to go? And did a lot of girls from Iona frequent them? Were a lot of other 'school crowds (ie, from other local schools) that also went. or was Iona the main school in the area, ergo there were a lot of Iona girls going there.

Just looking for some perspective on that.. Like, the fact several victims shared a school might not be strange of it was the main source of young female pub-goers in the immediate area, and these pubs were where the classy girls went as opposed to ferals, if that makes sense?

Well it was around late 99 by the time I started to frequent Claremont. There was pretty much the Red Rock and Club Bayview in Claremont. Thurs nights is when we usually went, it was a uni/student night so cheap drinks. A lot of UWA (University of Western Australia) students went there. I didn't attend UWA but one friend I went out with all the time did. More people went to Red Rock cos Bayview didn't open till about 10 or 11. Being poor uni students we would catch the train home, so didn't really go to Bayview that often since we didn't want to pay for a taxi (and probably the fear instilled in us of getting a taxi as a young female!) and didn't see the point to only go there for 1 hour before the last train left.

I did know other people from school who went there, usually girls whose family lived in the area. Iona actually had a number students that lived a fair distance from the school such as Rockingham and Karrinyup, so there wasn't *that* many students who lived that locally. There is a few girls schools in this area - MLC, PLC, St Hilda's. Also, whilst it was a private school, (I have no idea on the fees in today's prices) but as far as private Catholic schools went, back then Iona was the 'cheapest' of all of them that were in the inner metro area, e.g. compared to Santa Maria, Penhros. So not lots of super rich families attending this school. More at other schools…

This is a sweeping generalisation, but I would also say that the student population at UWA would tend to a higher amount of private school students, as UWA had the higher cutoffs for entrance, and private schools tend to do better in exams on a whole… So the crowd attending would be these types from the area.

I'd say generally the people attending Conti/Red Rock/Claremont were more of the 'classy' types. The whole Western suburb region is populated with middle - upper class families where most of these bar goers would be residing.

If you look at a map, there wasn't really much else to go to in the area. There was Fremantle, but Fremantle didn't have any real 'cool' bars (well maybe the Zanibar (where the Little Creatures Brewery now is) but that was more a nightclub, and more popular on the weekends). North of Claremont is Subi/Leederville and the City/Northbridge.

There was actually different places each night that was 'cool' to go to, so that would have some influence on it. Eg Wed nights and Sunday sessions was the Hip-E-Club and Leederville Hotel. Thursday at Red Rock etc. Northbridge on Fri/Sat.

Sorry that's really long!

No worries, LB, thanks so much for typing all that out, local eyes are always helpful. :)

Keep in mind this was like 15 years ago, times have changed I have no idea now what it's like :laughing:

Interesting information there L_B. What was the nickname the students gave to Mrs Glennon?

Interesting information there L_B. What was the nickname the students gave to Mrs Glennon?

I did read here that said some had given her a nickname… I never heard of that one that or recall her having any nicknames. She was the sewing teacher, she would say 'Berina bobbin' in her Irish accent quite funnily which we would imitate. I hate to write this now, cos in hindsight as an adult I can understand why she was the way she was as a teacher, but from the point of view of teenagers… we thought she was a bit of a ….. well I don't want to write it! cos I truly don't feel that way about her now, and of course after her daughter's death our opinions changed as well. But let's just say we didn't really like her much as we saw her as 'mean'. From an adult perspective she was just putting up with bratty teenage girls lol, but when you are a teen girl, its you against the world and everything is so dramatic :)

My number one suspect is SR and PW or SR acting alone. Here is why.
1. I'm certain the girls all entered a taxi.
2. SR had access to a ford falcon taxi at the time.
3. Two Rocks resident sees a Ford falcon taxi turning into pippindinny road with lights off around the time one of the girls went missing.
4. SR claims to have had Ciara in his car the night before she went missing. WTF. Could this be to explain her dna found in the taxi if it was located.
From what I read years ago they never got to go through SR's Ford falcon Taxi as it was already crushed into a pile of metal by that stage.

3. Two Rocks resident sees a Ford falcon taxi turning into pippindinny road with lights off around the time one of the girls went missing.
4. SR claims to have had Ciara in his car the night before she went missing. WTF. Could this be to explain her dna found in the taxi if it was located.
From what I read years ago they never got to go through SR's Ford falcon Taxi as it was already crushed into a pile of metal by that stage.

It is a massive WTF isn't it. And he only met with police to provide the information about SS once JR was missing as well, at a meeting with a lawyer organised for him by PW. Obviously didn't think it important enough to come forward when her "missing" posters were originally plastered everywhere. Then they both started ringing SS's father in the middle of the night complaining that they were suspects.

But have a read of this dude
http://www.postnewspapers.com.au/editions/20150321/view.php

Serial killer net tightens
Detectives are making progress in their bid to solve WA’s most baffling and sen-sational murder mystery, the Claremont serial killings.

Very promising leads have convinced senior police that the apparently un-solvable crimes that traumatised the western suburbs 19 years ago may now be solved.A team of 12 detectives, sepa-rate from the original Macro task forces, has been commit-ted to the inquiry over the past three years.They have have narrowed their focus to other, possibly related non-fatal crimes and to new forensic evidence after an exhaustive review of the case, including hundreds of interviews. Three young women disap-peared late on three separate nights from Claremont after visiting central Claremont nightspots in the mid-1990s, the victims of horrific crimes. Two were found murdered and the third is presumed to have met the same fate.WA’s biggest and most expen-sive investigation followed, but it is now a very different inquiry with a different focus, the POST has been told.The focus has moved away from taxis and Lance Williams, the innocent Cottesloe public servant who once absorbed the vast bulk of police resources but led to dead ends.Police now do not believe any of the three women got into a vehicle voluntarily but was subject to a blitz attack. These separate incidents were by the same person. The motive was sexual.It is now accepted that the early, intense focus on Mr Williams dis-tracted them from the significance of other clues that might have pointed to the real murderer in the early days.Police were inundated at the time with calls about possibly related abduction attempts and suspicious behaviour around the Claremont entertainment precinct.But as the POST has previ-ously reported, these were given scant attention because police could not connect them to Mr Williams.The dismissed reports that might not have appeared signifi-cant at the time are now being revisited, with promising leads.Other incidents may have gone unreported.International criminologists say each massive investigation pro-duces one person, and sometimes more than one, who appears to fit, but who in reality had nothing to do with the crime.The re-investigation has completed interviews and re-interviews, eliminating 10,000 “persons of interest”, includ-ing two men whose lives were severely damaged when their names became public during early inquiries.These were Mr Williams and former Claremont mayor Peter Weygers, who are no longer of interest to police investigating the murders.Police are now focusing on scientific lines of inquiry plus related “precursor” crimes in the western suburbs leading up to the murders, ranging from house break-ins to attempted abductions.

Police have not identified the murderer but are now tar-geting high-priority persons of interest “based on a number of factors”.The Special Crime Squad has identified and prioritised the remaining persons of interest after reviewing Macro’s 65,000 files while conducting interviews and re-interviews, which are still continuing.Squad members have made more than seven trips to the UK to take advantage of the most recent breakthroughs in DNA analysis, using a private forensic science company.One of its founders, Dr Jonathan Whitaker, a senior fo-rensic scientist, has visited Perth and worked on the Claremont case.In UK cases Dr Whitaker has used familial techniques to track down the culprits of unsolved murders up to 30 years old, with one-in-a-billion accuracy.Familial DNA testing depends on the fact that each human gets half his or her DNA from each parent, and share a chunk of that DNA with other blood relatives.Police believe that by using some of the best scientists in the world and samples col-lected back in the 1990s, they can crack the case, but remain tight-lipped about the latest scientific results.They are hoping to use new computer software that com-pares the long strings of num-bers generated by DNA profiling results, an operation now done manually.Police do not believe at this stage of the inquiry that a coro-ner’s inquest into the deaths of the three young women would achieve anything.They are optimistic that by the end of this year there will be more concrete developments.Officers have been frustrated in following thousands of “low-quality” leads, but have inves-tigated each one.Information can be provided to police via Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000

It is a massive WTF isn't it. And he only met with police to provide the information about SS once JR was missing as well, at a meeting with a lawyer organised for him by PW. Obviously didn't think it important enough to come forward when her "missing" posters were originally plastered everywhere. Then they both started ringing SS's father in the middle of the night complaining that they were suspects.

Very suss... Wonder how macro feels about this and thanks for the info billywhiz. Started reading the footy thread, couldn't help myself. Up to page 6.

Sorry my bad... SR claims he had SS in his taxi. I have read in two different threads that SR claimed to have SS in his taxi, and in another CG in his taxi. Could someone please confirm which girl it was? Either way very suspect.

Sorry my bad... SR claims he had SS in his taxi. I have read in two different threads that SR claimed to have SS in his taxi, and in another CG in his taxi. Could someone please confirm which girl it was? Either way very suspect.

It was Sarah Spiers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member