CO - 1- dead 8-injured after shots fired at STEM School in Highlands Ranch, 7 May 2019

Discussion in 'Up to the Minute' started by BayouBelle_LA, May 7, 2019.

1. K_Z

K_Z Verified Anesthetist

Yes. In my opinion, all transgender individuals have serious psychological and social disabilities. I think they are born the way they are (except for the ones teens derisively call "trans-trenders") and have no control over their gender confusion. I believe the medical evidence is that these unfortunate people have a disability, or "birth condition" if that is preferred. I don't think they can change how they feel. It's no different, IMO, than any birth defect/ birth condition. They deserve treatment, and compassion. IMO, they deserve societal and workplace protections under the ADA. But not separate civil "rights".

Trident, TRB, Tripod and 3 others like this.
  2. K_Z

K_Z Verified Anesthetist

I'm quitting for the night. We're too far off topic, though I appreciate the mostly civil and thoughtful discussion of a difficult and controversial issue. Thank you all!

3. gitana1

gitana1 Verified Attorney

Then they'll probably just pick them off as they exit the school.

human likes this.
  4. airportwoman

airportwoman Active Member

About 20 years ago, there was a shooting where the kids pulled the fire alarm and did exactly this.

human and gitana1 like this.
  5. Gardenista

Gardenista Well-Known Member

cody22 and TRB like this.
  6. Trino

Trino Well-Known Member

Sue Klebold wrote a book about this - A Mother's Reckoning: Living in the Aftermath of Tragedy. After reading the book, I came away with the impression that her son was raised as a normal child with parental involvement. Why he changed remained a mystery. It's worth a read.

kimpage, MsArk, x_files and 6 others like this.
  7. mickey2942

mickey2942 Well-Known Member

Alex McKinney is actually a female who identifies as a male.

I wonder if he still wants to identify as a male, and go to prison with males. I would suggest a change in self identification, immediately.

MsArk, x_files, cody22 and 1 other person like this.
  8. Gardenista

Gardenista Well-Known Member

TRB likes this.
  9. Breezie

Breezie Well-Known Member

U.S. rolls back protections for transgender prison inmates - Reuters

According to this, Alex will be in a women’s prison. The alternative would probably be isolation in a male prison.

x_files, Trident, TRB and 1 other person like this.
  10. mickey2942

Tippy Lynn, cody22, TRB and 1 other person like this.
  11. Wild Rose

Wild Rose Well-Known Member

I go to work in a school. I love my job and I love my students. The times we live in today are not the same as when we were young. Today, if you are bullied, there is no safe place. The bullying follows you 24/7 because of social media. It's easy to say, "stay off the Internet", but that is not a realistic plea. I spend extra time with students that are bullied to keep telling them that they don't deserve this, they are really good, they don't bully people, they hold doors open, they are kind and I think highly of them. Bullying, name calling, socially outcasting publicly, all that is soul crushing. When it is relentless, it becomes unbearable. And the bullies often have higher social standing, better grades, ....of course, I try my best to stop the bullying when I see it, but I try to be the person that shows the bullied person that they are not what they are called, that they are not deserving of the treatment that they are getting. That I see them having wonderful values, I see beyond the differences they have to the inherent goodness in them. The drills that we have are tough. Students are scared. Most of my students are such admirable individuals. These are tough times. There are no easy answers but we need to act honorably, and model kindness and caring. At every opportunity each day. You never know your own impact on others each day. Sorry this is long.

kimpage, HulaMum, MsArk and 9 others like this.
  12. Colorado303

Colorado303 Verified Insider Watts Case

The kids at your school are lucky to have you. I’m glad someone has their back and is working to change bullies’ minds.

kimpage, HulaMum, Tippy Lynn and 4 others like this.
  13. mickey2942

@Wild Rose I wish society would address bullying. Because it happens in the workplace as well.

14. human

human Well-Known Member

What difference does it make how one wants to identify as male or female? Apparently to some people they feel it is their right to crucify someone for that.

How kids cope with the hate is beyond me.

15. apricotpeach

apricotpeach Member

I listened to the audiobook version a while ago. My feeling was the same. The parents seemed to be attentive/supportive. He seemed to have an average middle class life that somehow turned out very different. Sue Klebold's recounting may be a little biased or have a blindspot, but it wasn't like there were red flags leading up to the shooting. (Of course, with these mass shootings, sometimes there are early indications, sometimes it seems like a shock to everyone).

cody22 likes this.
  16. kaen

kaen Trying to be a good human.

Thank you for this post. I agree about the topic of transgender and people's opinions on that.

I further agree on the funding of counselors in schools. Many school counselors I know spend most of their time doing mandated counseling and supporting IEP processes. I think the addition of school counselors and social workers could go a long way to helping school climate, especially since so many schools are very large and it is hard to have a pulse on the school culture and the underground culture that exists. Before the adult murderer in this case had his FB and other media shut down, I had read multiple comments where he was called gay in relation to his posts by students who attended his school. No excuse for murder/terrorism but certainly a potential clue about some climate issues.

17. gitana1

It's true. And the media can make the changes we need to see to stop this. The media decided to stop showing the end of police chases close up because people would kill themselves on camera. They didn't have to. They also decided not to rebroadcast any suicides anymore.

And they don't typically publish dead bodies in general. At least not of American citizens.

That was after a notorious case in which a newspaper published a photo of a dead child. I think burnt.

It was horrible.

I'm not advocating any censorship laws and I think the names of these cowards should be available to anyone who seeks it.

But we need to change as a culture and make a societal pact not to give these creeps anymore of this type of publicity.

Oh and calling them "killers"or "gunmen" just amps up the next one.

They should be called cowards.

Release information related to age, where they're from, gender, fine, but no publication of manifestos and no names.

Make them invisible and I think mass shootings would dry up quite a bit.

Sunny123, HulaMum, MsArk and 5 others like this.
  18. gitana1

You mean prison! His life is over. It's murder.

I often wonder when is the exact moment when reality hits for these murderers. When they realize that the supposed "solution" to the hell they were in created and even greater and more endless hell for themselves.

kimpage, JanetElaine, human and 2 others like this.
  19. gitana1

It is valid. And I agree. Parents who enable troubled kids to have access to dangerous weapons should be charged with child neglect.

As long as it can be shown they knew there was a problem and allowed access anyhow. Like the Newtown coward's mother.

kimpage, HulaMum, angelainwi and 3 others like this.
  20. gitana1

Straight, cisgender people are part of the majority (unless they come from a religious or ethnic minority group). It is only when people who are part of a minority group commit a crime that it negatively effects the reputation of the group as a whole, in a way that matters.

human and Colorado303 like this.