CO - 1- dead 8-injured after shots fired at STEM School in Highlands Ranch, 7 May 2019

Discussion in 'Up to the Minute' started by BayouBelle_LA, May 7, 2019.

1. x_files

x_files Well-Known Member

It's true it's difficult to escape bullying now, you cannot just leave it at school, and turn it off. You can move to another city, state and it can follow you unless you completely change your identity.
    This needs to be fully researched. If nice kids are snapping and shooting classmates that didn't seem to have disorders prior society needs to take a look at everything including social media/bullying.

2. x_files

x_files Well-Known Member

and then many kids write **** society on their books and never shoot anyone, however, sprayed on the car I'd like to know wth was going on at school. Teens rebel and act out it's normal, shooting classmates however shouldn't be but is becoming the norm.

3. PrairieWind

PrairieWind Verified Attorney

I would like to know WHEN that stuff was spray painted on the car. Maybe it was just that morning. But if it was days or weeks earlier, the parents, friends etc should have been finding out what was going on.

Tillicum, human, Colorado303 and 3 others like this.
  4. Tippy Lynn

Tippy Lynn Well-Known Member

Teens writing **** society on their books or cars is not normal. I feel like it's more of a cry for help and attention seeking behavior. Some will take attention however they can get it, good or bad. Regardless, teens who are rebelling and acting out shouldn't be ignored or brushed off. Typically there are signs and red flags displayed by the shooter before they shoot up a school.
    jmo

human, TRB, makayla and 3 others like this.
  5. dspdenver

dspdenver Well-Known Member

STEM School Highlands Ranch shooting suspect played guitar, sang in rock bands

According to this article, DE and his girlfriend recently broke up, so that could have triggered something, but at this point, who knows.

[Erickson texted Beatty a few weeks ago and said he broke up with his girlfriend because she insisted he distance himself from other friends, Beatty said.

For Beatty, his best friend is gone forever.

“In my mind he’s pretty much dead. He’s effectively killed himself, too, in a terrible and unimaginable way,” Beatty said.]

human, TRB, SouthAussie and 3 others like this.
  6. Gunslinging Granny

Gunslinging Granny Well-Known Member

Crashing a funeral or vigil to push your political agenda should be "cause" for LE to force such people into an immediate mental health evaluation, imo. Crashing a funeral or vigil is a form of emotional abuse heaped upon the grieving. I'm so glad the kids took back their vigil! What smart kids!! I hope they take this energy and use it to send lot of positive support to those still in the hospital .

Last edited: May 9, 2019
    TRB, Colorado303, makayla and 8 others like this.
  7. Tippy Lynn

I agree. I admire the kids!

8. Gardenista

Gardenista Well-Known Member

9. PrairieWind

PrairieWind Verified Attorney

10. Gardenista

And they tried to light it on fire which could have burned the house down. Two very evil people.

Tillicum, human, TRB and 5 others like this.
  11. ReadySet

ReadySet Well-Known Member

Authorities are also investigating whether the armed guard at the school may have mistakenly fired at deputies who were responding to the shooting and whether one of the students was hit by a bullet from either the guard or a responding deputy. Spurlock has said the guard was instrumental in taking one of the alleged shooters to the ground, as well.

"I know that my client is a hero and I know that he did everything in his power to protect the kids, and the staff and the faculty that he knows and works with every day,” the guard’s attorney, Robert Burk, said in an interview Thursday.

12. Gardenista

Thank goodness for that guard ❤️❤️❤️

13. Gunslinging Granny

Gunslinging Granny Well-Known Member

Destroy their parents' home. Destroy their school. Destroy other students. Destroy, destroy, destroy.

Kids in the 1960s, protested and fought their parents, the establishment and the government, but they weren't filled with intense hatred and the need to destroy. They had been taught that it was important for their souls to forgive those who offended them. Hatred is lethal .

x_files, human, Tillicum and 8 others like this.
  14. Breezie

Breezie Well-Known Member

Colorado parent warned school about violence and bullying before school shooting

Five months before the shooting at STEM School Highlands Ranch that killed one student and injured eight others, CBS News learned school Executive Director Penelope Eucker was sent a letter warning about violence and bullying at the school. The letter was written by a school district official with information from an anonymous parent of a high school senior, who called the district with concerns about the school.

According to the letter, "there is an extremely high drug culture at STEM," and "many students are suicidal and violent." The anonymous parent called it the "the perfect storm" and "expressed concerns about a repeat of Columbine."

The Douglas County School District official said all of the concerns were reported to "the Department of Human Services and to the sheriff's department." STEM school officials disputed the claims and filed a lawsuit in January against the anonymous parent for what they called "defamatory statements."

x_files, human, enelram and 11 others like this.
  15. Gardenista

Whoa!!!

16. mickey2942

mickey2942 Well-Known Member

Colorado parent warned school about violence and bullying before school shooting

Wow. When I taught school, if I had received a letter like that, I would have called in the parent, and had a meeting. Proactive collaboration.

It sounds like the administration went on the defensive here. Not the best move.

I heard that some of the teachers at this school, had also been working at Colombine H.S. 20 years ago...I would have put in my retirement paperwork this week!

cujenn81, x_files, human and 11 others like this.
  17. Tippy Lynn

I can’t even imagine. :eek:

human, Wild Rose and mickey2942 like this.
  18. glamourkitty1922

glamourkitty1922 Well-Known Member

This may be the shooting you're thinking of. On Jan 29, 1979 16-year-old Brenda Spencer opened fire on Grover Cleveland Elementary School in San Diego CA. She is still in prison for murdering 2 people and injuring 9

x_files, human and Colorado303 like this.
  19. kaen

kaen Trying to be a good human.

It is never good when a school doesn't put systems in place to review the school culture when given a warning/caution. Many schools have culture issues and the mark of an exemplary school is to listen, learn and adjust to meet the needs of the students.

I think it is very telling that the school decided to file a lawsuit rather than pick up on what was needed. Hard to believe there were no concerns at the school.

As a counselor, I would have certainly acted if that was information gathered from a letter.

human, kimpage, Tippy Lynn and 7 others like this.
  20. Flurries

Flurries Active Member

What an amazing outlook this young man has regarding how he lives his life!

human, Tillicum, Seattle1 and 2 others like this.