GUILTY CO - 1 dead, 8 injured, shots fired at STEM School in Highlands Ranch, 7 May 2019

Father of Colorado school shooter Alec McKinney is serial felon and illegal immigrant | Daily Mail Online

The father of one of the alleged STEM School Highlands Ranch shooters in Colorado is a serial felon and illegal immigrant from Mexico, DailyMail.com can reveal.

Jose Evis Quintana, the father of alleged 16-year-old killer Alec McKinney was once jailed for 15 months for domestic violence against Alec's mother and 'menacing with a weapon'.

And I thought MSM coverage was minimal before. It will now mostly become a "local issue".

STEM School shooting suspects Friday hearing rescheduled
[The hearing has been rescheduled for 10 a.m. Wednesday.]

The 18 year old (and probably the minor) are already being held on 30 counts-- 1 murder, 19 attempted murders. I'd think the 16 year old will have all 30 of those, and both will have more charges added next week.

According to news reports, in CO the decision of whether to charge and try the 16 year old as an adult can be made by the prosecutor without needing to petition the court to try as an adult. I think MEM will be charged and tried as an adult.

I think felony charges for theft of the handguns will be added, as well as arson charges for the fire set at the home where the guns were stolen.

According to several news reports. The stolen guns were legally owned and legally purchased, and (responsibly, IMO) locked in the gun cabinet smashed open by one or more of the accused shooters. I think it would be nearly impossible to try to hold the 18 year old's parents criminally accountable for the theft and misuse of their firearms. Especially since the teen is a legal adult, who lived there, and likely orchestrated the theft of the firearms. (Much different than a toddler or young child getting access to an irresponsibly unsecured loaded gun.)

Father of Colorado school shooter Alec McKinney is serial felon and illegal immigrant | Daily Mail Online

The father of one of the alleged STEM School Highlands Ranch shooters in Colorado is a serial felon and illegal immigrant from Mexico, DailyMail.com can reveal.

Jose Evis Quintana, the father of alleged 16-year-old killer Alec McKinney was once jailed for 15 months for domestic violence against Alec's mother and 'menacing with a weapon'.

Wow. Very unfortunate circumstances, but doesn't excuse the actions of MEM. I'm sure the defense will use this history to portray MEM as a victim of "childhood trauma", though.

This kind of a turbulent family history is predictive of a lot of social, emotional, and educational problems, undeniably. (And likely economic problems as well.) Mom apparently was only 16 when MEM was born, father was 17, doing the math off the ages of the parents in the article.

Very tumultuous childhood for MEM-- predictable considering the criminal history of the father, and the young age of the parents when they started having kids. But that said, plenty of kids are born into chaos, with one or both parents criminals, substance abusers, domestic violence, etc-- and don't go on to shoot up a school.

It's tempting to say the apple didn't fall far from the tree, but it must be acknowledged that the Columbine killers (and a few other school shooters) came from stable middle class 2 parent families. They managed to massacre 13 people.

Domestic violence. Isn’t hat present in most mass shooters either as perps or witnessing it?

makes sense there were serious issues in this teens life and learned how to deal with stress through violence. Copying the parents.

makes sense there were serious issues in this teens life and learned how to deal with stress through violence. Copying the parents.

Also, the lack of respect for one of their mum's property.

I read yesterday that the car that he/they (presumably) painted with the pentagram, 666, and '%#* Society' belonged to mother.

And that car was towed from home, it was another car that was towed from the school parking lot. So, it seems that they didn't even use the graffitied car to go to the school and begin their terrible rampage.

Last edited:
Ugh. Based on the DM article, Alec seems to be blaming Mom for Dad's illegal acts and deportation. Probably a consequence of the awful DV dynamic. This kid was all kinds of messed up. I hope he gets help while serving his much-deserved punishment.

Ugh. Based on the DM article, Alec seems to be blaming Mom for Dad's illegal acts and deportation. Probably a consequence of the awful DV dynamic. This kid was all kinds of messed up. I hope he gets help while serving his much-deserved punishment.

blame the victim for the abuse. I've seen abused kids side with the abuser and verbally abuse the weaker parent (mom). DV is a huge RED FLAG for School Shooters. Dad sounds like a nightmare and a horrible role model.

He is going to see lots of violence in prison as well, even in a women's prison. I dont hold much hope for the retraining of his outlook.

That is not what is being taught in many schools now. The hide in place protocol is in many districts being replaced with the "get out or fight" plan. I think its a much better plan.
At least one of the teachers in this case used the hide in place protocol. Our schools tell the teachers to use their common sense. It's ludicrous to teach kids to fight the guys with guns. Let the police do their job. The school didn't even have a school resource officer, they hired a private security firm.

JMO

Nate said he froze as gunshots shattered a window. A siren rang and someone in his classroom cracked a joke.

His teacher shushed the student and moved them behind a desk and then to the closet.

Sixth-grader wanted to ‘go down fighting,’ grabbed bat during STEM school shooting

Yes, I agree...it does vary by school. However, I do believe that the trend in Law Enforcement is to encourage schools to be ALICE trained. (this is according to the County Sheriff and LE who do the training in schools in our area.) Of course, schools are still free to do it their own way.
I do not believe students should be receiving any law enforcement training. That training is optional here. Teachers are told to use their common sense.

JMO

After reading this mess about STEM's shared county contracted SRO with another school, I fully support STEM hiring a private security firm. STEM did not get the kind of service they needed from the local Sheriff's department.

If I had been a board member at the STEM school, I would have advocated to hire the private full time security, rather than share with another school 50%, and have huge gaps in coverage due to illness, temporary fill in staff, etc.

The whole purpose of security staff is CONTINUITY and FAMILIARITY and PRESENCE. The sheriff's office struck out 3 for 3 on that. School staffing was not a priority for the sheriff's department, IMO, despite budgets and staffing.

This is quite an interesting read, IMO:

STEM School, sheriff's office disagreed on resource officer

https://www.dcsheriff.net/wp-content/uploads/2019/05/SRO-Statement.pdf

STEM School armed guard's actions under investigation

After reading this mess about STEM's shared county contracted SRO with another school, I fully support STEM hiring a private security firm. STEM did not get the kind of service they needed from the local Sheriff's department.

If I had been a board member at the STEM school, I would have advocated to hire the private full time security, rather than share with another school 50%, and have huge gaps in coverage due to illness, temporary fill in staff, etc.

The whole purpose of security staff is CONTINUITY and FAMILIARITY and PRESENCE. The sheriff's office struck out 3 for 3 on that. School staffing was not a priority for the sheriff's department, IMO, despite budgets and staffing.

This is quite an interesting read, IMO:

STEM School, sheriff's office disagreed on resource officer

https://www.dcsheriff.net/wp-content/uploads/2019/05/SRO-Statement.pdf

STEM School armed guard's actions under investigation

I wouldn't have advocated for a private security firm. Your last link shows the school guard's actions are under investigation because he possibly shot a student. That's pretty serious and in no way reflects on the sheriff's office.

The sharing of the school resource officer for several years was the choice of the school. Dumping the Sheriff's office was also the choice of the school and they did it because of money. That's outrageous.

The lawsuits against the school will be swift. A criminal investigation of the administration should also be swift.

JMO

I am pretty critical of schools for how they handle bullying, but I would agree with the school on this. Anonymous letters that don't provide any specifics don't help at all. There is literally nothing the school can do with that. Parents/kids HAVE to go in and tell teachers and administration exactly what is happening by which student to which student. And then follow up. Parents have to be bold.

I dont think it was an anonymous letter, or that specifics were not provided ... just that the parent is unnamed. BBC is reporting that it was a phone call from the unnamed parent that spurred the official letter to the school.
They evidently know who the parent is, as the school has lodged a lawsuit against the parent.
BBC usually has pretty accurate reporting. imo
I wonder what will happen with that lawsuit now.

The unnamed parent called a school district official, who detailed the claims in a letter to the school's director.
US school warned of 'repeat Columbine'

Last edited:

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member