GUILTY CO - 1 dead, 8 injured, shots fired at STEM School in Highlands Ranch, 7 May 2019

The 2 shooters are due in court tomorrow, for formal charging.

The investigative files were sealed at their first detention hearing, which is why we're not hearing any details, like the model of the weapons, who shot Kendrick, details of the crimes, etc. Prosecutor said at first hearing he expected to un-seal the files after formal charging, IIRC. So there is a cone of silence right now.

The prosecutor said he will announce whether the younger shooter will be upgraded to adult status tomorrow-- in CO, 16 and 17 year olds may be charged as adults at the discretion of the prosecutor, according to articles linked upthread. (No need to have hearings to bump 16-17 year olds up to adult charges, if the crimes are severe.)

Don't know if they are due in court in the morning or afternoon sessions. No word on that that I can find.

Kendrick's funeral is tomorrow at 1:00. I don't know if that will be streamed? If anyone hears, please post a link.

Court docs, sources paint picture of childhood of accused STEM School shooters
Suspects could be charged in school shooting Wednesday

New info paints picture of shooting suspects' childhoods

Student Who Helped Stop STEM School Shooting Speaks

One of the heroes from the STEM School Highlands Ranch Shooting spoke on Tuesday for the first time since the shooting exactly a week ago. Joshua Jones is a student at the school.

He was shot twice while trying to disarm one of the shooters.

joshua-jones-from-jones-family.jpg

Joshua Jones (credit: Jones family)

Jones, Brendan Bialy and Kendrick Castillo are all named heroes in preventing the shooting from being worse. Castillo died while rushing one of the suspects.

stem-school-josh-jones-6sot.transfer_frame_1034.png

Joshua Jones surrounded by his parents. (credit: CBS)

Student Who Helped Stop STEM School Shooting Speaks

There will be a special processional for Kendrick at his funeral celebration of life. Video report. First police processional ever in the county for a civilian-- 30 motorcycles. Als0 expecting 600+ jeeps, with blessing of family. (Kendrick was a jeep enthusiast.)

Special procession planned for STEM School hero Kendrick Castillo

Last edited:
I was looking at the formal charges filed today. Both are charged with theft between $2,500 and $5000. Are these the firearms? Seems like a very high value. It is odd that we have received almost no detail on what happened.

Last edited:
I was looking at the formal charges filed today. Both are charged with theft between $2,500 and $5000. Are these the firearms? Seems like a very high value. It is odd that we have received almost no detail on what happened.

It’s still early in the process. The details will come out at the trial if not before.

The reports I have seen indicate the suspects stole the guns from a locked “gun cabinet”. That sounds more like a glass fronted display cabinet than a proper gun safe.

It’s still early in the process. The details will come out at the trial if not before.

The reports I have seen indicate the suspects stole the guns from a locked “gun cabinet”. That sounds more like a glass fronted display cabinet than a proper gun safe.
Oh we may eventually learn details, but this is certainly being handled differently than other school shootings. Usually by this time we know all sorts of things, the type of gun, how it was obtained, etc.

Formal charges in STEM School Highlands Ranch shooting, juvenile suspect charged as adult

"The 16-year-old is charged with first-degree murder as an adult," District Attorney George Brauchler said. "And there are a bunch of other charges that did not come up in open court that I can't discuss."

He cannot discuss those charges due to a court order that suppresses information related to the cases against both suspects from the public. According to Brauchler, the defense plans to request a reverse transfer hearing to move the case back to juvenile court. As of now, his next court appearance is set for June 14.

Erickson was also in court Wednesday for the filing of charges. Defense attorneys acknowledged the complaint but waived any reading or advisement of the charges. They were not read in open court and Brauchler could not discuss them due to the suppression order.

The judge denied a request from the defense to allow the suspect to be unshackled for the hearing. His next court date was set for June 7. According to court documents posted online Wednesday, he now faces 48 counts.

My parents is definitely a gun cabinet. It is tall with doors that meet in the middle. But it locks and is heavy wood, not glass.

My parents is definitely a gun cabinet. It is tall with doors that meet in the middle. But it locks and is heavy wood, not glass.
it would be interesting to know about this cabinet. Older style gun cabinets often did have glass doors. My Dad had one like that. There was a lockable cupboard on the bottom for ammo, but where the guns were held was not lockable. It wasn't a problem back in those days. When Dad said, "don't touch those guns" , none of us kids ever dared to even think about it.

it would be interesting to know about this cabinet. Older style gun cabinets often did have glass doors. My Dad had one like that. There was a lockable cupboard on the bottom for ammo, but where the guns were held was not lockable. It wasn't a problem back in those days. When Dad said, "don't touch those guns" , none of us kids ever dared to even think about it.

Are we related?... jk!

Our home had similar cabinet.

I believe our parents have been accused of "parenting by fear" and right or wrong, whether this parenting style interfered with my development, I'm glad that I didn't think I had the choice to touch the guns or not!

And same with the China hutch. I know teens right now that have pawned or sold figurines from the cabinet on ebay to fund their legal/illegal habits! :eek:

Are we related?... jk!

Our home had similar cabinet.

I believe our parents have been accused of "parenting by fear" and right or wrong, whether this parenting style interfered with my development, I'm glad that I didn't think I had the choice to touch the guns or not!

And same with the China hutch. I know teens right now that have pawned or sold figurines from the cabinet on ebay to fund their legal/illegal habits! :eek:
Oh yes. Grandma's china cabinet was more off limits than the gun cabinet!! But it is odd how back in those days (really not that long ago) mom and dad telling us to not touch was enough. We just didn't think twice about it. I'm not sure how that changed.

Oh yes. Grandma's china cabinet was more off limits than the gun cabinet!! But it is odd how back in those days (really not that long ago) mom and dad telling us to not touch was enough. We just didn't think twice about it. I'm not sure how that changed.

BBM. I have a few thoughts on this. (Imagine that!)

In my humble opinion, many (if not most) of the social problems we have in the U.S. are directly related to loss of shared societal goals, morals, ethics, and values, and the breakdown of the family. This isn't limited to any specific ethnicity or socioeconomic status in the U.S. It's a development of our unique American culture, IMO.

The breakdown of family, IMO, is not solely due to things like divorce or out of wedlock child bearing, or rejection of religion as a guiding force. It's also related to geographic isolation of extended family, tribalism emerging in place of families and communities, extreme narcissism as typical personality trait, and a creeping trend over 3-4 decades toward two extremes of parenting style.

One parenting extreme essentially ignores interacting with their offspring unless it's related to handling objective things (food, "come here, do that", one way communication). Their children get bigger and older, but they are not parented, guided, and mentored into becoming competent adults, who take responsibility for their lives, and contribute in a positive way to society. (This type of non-parenting is engaged in by all levels of socioeconomic status, IMO-- rich, poor, and middle class.)

The other extreme, IMO, engages in promoting extended dependency and infantilizing their offspring until the children are teenagers and young adults who cannot tolerate any disappointment, disagreement, or failure, have little self control, and are unable to engage in realistic life planning, taking responsibility, and accountability. They have "helicopter" and "lawnmower" parents ensuring they never have to think for themselves, do anything, plan goals, experience their own success or failure, or take responsibility for anything. Their sole job is to "exist" and "be happy"-- and often are little more than accessories to enhance their parent's images. They are molded into becoming pathologically narcissistic offspring, and are generally incompetent adults. (IMO, this type of parenting seems to be prevalent in middle and upper class socioeconomic households.)

Kids raised in these kind of extremes, IMO, have a lot of emotional and social problems. Some are impulsive criminally, some seek belonging thru unhealthy associations like gangs and drug buddies. Many are seeking escape and relief of their internal conflicts (loneliness, rejection). Nearly all develop into pathological narcissists, unable to feel sympathy or empathy for others. And that frequently leads to lack of personal responsibility, lack of direction in life, crime, self harm, and violent and homicidal behavior, disordered thinking, and toxic personality disorders (as differentiated from organic mental illness). In my humble opinion.

We Americans used to be a culture of "one, out of many", with shared morals, ethics, goals, and purpose. We were all on the same "team". But now we are just a bunch of people in ever more divided tribes, squabbling to get whatever we can. The most goal directed behavior a lot of criminals have is subjugating and exploiting others, and daydreaming about their personal victimhood and "revenge fantasies". Some of these twisted people actually carry out their revenge fantasies. IMO, that's what is behind most school shootings.

In general, we are devolving in a lot of social ways, IMO. And I think it will get much worse in the U.S. before it gets better, if it can ever get better. I'm pretty pessimistic about our society's ability to improve in these areas.

This, IMO, is a large part of what produces the "why" behind school shootings. And I'm afraid we can't fix it. I don't think it's possible. All we can do is try to mitigate the damage where we can. (That's my $0.02.)

The teen who sacrificed his life to help stop the Colorado school shooting is honored by hundreds of Jeeps

I watched a few minutes of Kendrick's celebration of life. It was beautiful. One touching and powerful image was of the robotics devices in the grass, from his teammates, posed holding banners for Kendrick outside the church.

I couldn't watch the whole thing-- both because of time, but also because it was just so painful. Such a great, intelligent, kind, amazing young man, and such a wonderful, loving, purpose-filled family. One speaker said Kendrick and his dad had about 26,000 combined hours of community service volunteering for Knights of Columbus.

I couldn't stop crying for his loss and his family's pain. One of the pastors gave advice that to begin to heal, we have to get beyond obsessing over "why". I guess that's good advice. I'll get there someday. Maybe.

BBM. I have a few thoughts on this. (Imagine that!)

In my humble opinion, many (if not most) of the social problems we have in the U.S. are directly related to loss of shared societal goals, morals, ethics, and values, and the breakdown of the family. This isn't limited to any specific ethnicity or socioeconomic status in the U.S. It's a development of our unique American culture, IMO.

The breakdown of family, IMO, is not solely due to things like divorce or out of wedlock child bearing, or rejection of religion as a guiding force. It's also related to geographic isolation of extended family, tribalism emerging in place of families and communities, extreme narcissism as typical personality trait, and a creeping trend over 3-4 decades toward two extremes of parenting style.

One parenting extreme essentially ignores interacting with their offspring unless it's related to handling objective things (food, "come here, do that", one way communication). Their children get bigger and older, but they are not parented, guided, and mentored into becoming competent adults, who take responsibility for their lives, and contribute in a positive way to society. (This type of non-parenting is engaged in by all levels of socioeconomic status, IMO-- rich, poor, and middle class.)

The other extreme, IMO, engages in promoting extended dependency and infantilizing their offspring until the children are teenagers and young adults who cannot tolerate any disappointment, disagreement, or failure, have little self control, and are unable to engage in realistic life planning, taking responsibility, and accountability. They have "helicopter" and "lawnmower" parents ensuring they never have to think for themselves, do anything, plan goals, experience their own success or failure, or take responsibility for anything. Their sole job is to "exist" and "be happy"-- and often are little more than accessories to enhance their parent's images. They are molded into becoming pathologically narcissistic offspring, and are generally incompetent adults. (IMO, this type of parenting seems to be prevalent in middle and upper class socioeconomic households.)

Kids raised in these kind of extremes, IMO, have a lot of emotional and social problems. Some are impulsive criminally, some seek belonging thru unhealthy associations like gangs and drug buddies. Many are seeking escape and relief of their internal conflicts (loneliness, rejection). Nearly all develop into pathological narcissists, unable to feel sympathy or empathy for others. And that frequently leads to lack of personal responsibility, lack of direction in life, crime, self harm, and violent and homicidal behavior, disordered thinking, and toxic personality disorders (as differentiated from organic mental illness). In my humble opinion.

We Americans used to be a culture of "one, out of many", with shared morals, ethics, goals, and purpose. We were all on the same "team". But now we are just a bunch of people in ever more divided tribes, squabbling to get whatever we can. The most goal directed behavior a lot of criminals have is subjugating and exploiting others, and daydreaming about their personal victimhood and "revenge fantasies". Some of these twisted people actually carry out their revenge fantasies. IMO, that's what is behind most school shootings.

In general, we are devolving in a lot of social ways, IMO. And I think it will get much worse in the U.S. before it gets better, if it can ever get better. I'm pretty pessimistic about our society's ability to improve in these areas.

This, IMO, is a large part of what produces the "why" behind school shootings. And I'm afraid we can't fix it. I don't think it's possible. All we can do is try to mitigate the damage where we can. (That's my $0.02.)

Very valid points -- and I'd also like to add technology.

I personally made the decision 20+ years ago to embrace electronic communication for my work, and exclude this as a means for my family and friends. I also don't use fb, and credit this decision as to why I still have live contact with my siblings and friends.

I have no doubt I would no longer hear their voices, etc. if I joined the voluminous texting world. MOO

The teen who sacrificed his life to help stop the Colorado school shooting is honored by hundreds of Jeeps

I watched a few minutes of Kendrick's celebration of life. It was beautiful. One touching and powerful image was of the robotics devices in the grass, from his teammates, posed holding banners for Kendrick outside the church.

I couldn't watch the whole thing-- both because of time, but also because it was just so painful. Such a great, intelligent, kind, amazing young man, and such a wonderful, loving, purpose-filled family. One speaker said Kendrick and his dad had about 26,000 combined hours of community service volunteering for Knights of Columbus.

I couldn't stop crying for his loss and his family's pain. One of the pastors gave advice that to begin to heal, we have to get beyond obsessing over "why". I guess that's good advice. I'll get there someday. Maybe.
This young man was truly amazing. My heart breaks that he is gone. But his actions and sacrifice saved countless others. I don't even know how to begin to thank him for what he did that day. I guess I would just tell his parents, I know you are shattered with grief, but thank you for raising such a strong and gifted young man.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Lee
Back