CO - 2-MONTH-Old Had Blood-Alcohol Level Of 0.364

annemc2 said:
I find it hard to believe that the baby would ingest enough to get such a high alcohol level. Even if it was mixed with powdered formula, wouldn't you expect the vodka to burn like fire as it went down the baby's throat? You would think that the baby would take one gulp of that stuff and then refuse the rest. Although if the baby was super hungry, maybe she just kept drinking even if it was very uncomfortable? Very strange, in any case.
i didn't think of that. I remember the first time I had vodka, it was in a screwdriver and it was the most horrible taste, I would think the baby would refuse the bottle.

Floh said:
I absolutely have to yell it's incorrect to believe vodka doesn't smell - unless i have some weirdly heightened sense for smelling alcohol? it stinks! the only thing hidden about it is the colour.

I agree, the minute the cap was off the water bottle it would smell like alcohol. It sure wouldn't smell like water.

Another thing, you are supposed to use distilled water. Why would you use water that someone was drinking out of the bottle?

packerdog said:
Another thing, you are supposed to use distilled water. Why would you use water that someone was drinking out of the bottle?
You can either use "nursery water"/distilled water or if you have a water filter you can use tap water, but only if you are using a filter.

packerdog said:
True, but if they were homeless and living in a car, I doubt that the TYPE of water really made much a difference to them.

The smell of vodka is so incredibly strong, that I can't imagine not being able to smell it when mixing it in the bottle.

And, if they are indeed homeless and have no money, where in the hell are they getting money to buy vodka?

I just can't see how this could be an accident. I could be wrong, but something just isn't right here.

Accident or not, they are living in a car for God's sake and they are obviously too damn dumb to raise a baby. Mom wouldn't even look directly into the camera when NG was showing the story last night.

I know the sweetest young couple that have been trying for years to have kids and, so far, can't and then these 2 losers can probably breed like rats and not ever learn how to take care of them.

This may sound harsh, but it's pretty darn irresponsible to even have a water bottle with vodka in it in the car.

Give the baby to a good family and have them neutered and spayed!!!!!!!!!!!!

2sisters said:
You can either use "nursery water"/distilled water or if you have a water filter you can use tap water, but only if you are using a filter.

My doctor told me tap water was fine. Actually preferred since bottled water is not fluoridated.

But I still wouldn't use water out of someone's water bottle unless I was desperate (which she easily could have been).

I think this was a horrible accident, and that if they weren't living in their car and doing other things to endanger this child, they wouldn't have taken the child.

I had to call poison control one night when my one year old reached a can of snuff on a shelf we thought was out of his reach (no, it wasn't mine!!) They didn't bat an eye.

Hmm so they can afford to go buy vodka..but live in a car? Does she live in the car with him and the baby? You would think since she LIVES there she would see him pouring the vodka in the water bottle you know since his ''room'' isnt too far from her ''room''...

I didnt know they were homeless, the baby definitely needs to be in the care of someone else. It is a cold time of year and babies have a hard time keeping their temperature up anyways. At 72 its cold in my house and I bundle up my 3 year old. It would have to stink also, vodka was my first alcoholic drink ever. I coughed so hard after 1 sip I thought it would kill me :doh: That poor baby!

Where are their families? It's not their families fault of course, but I cant imagine not helping my child no matter what so she wouldnt have to be a transient at least for the baby's sake! I would flip out if I knew my daughter and granddaughter were in a cold car in colorado.

Autumn2004 said:
I didnt know they were homeless, the baby definitely needs to be in the care of someone else. It is a cold time of year and babies have a hard time keeping their temperature up anyways. At 72 its cold in my house and I bundle up my 3 year old. It would have to stink also, vodka was my first alcoholic drink ever. I coughed so hard after 1 sip I thought it would kill me :doh: That poor baby!

Where are their families? It's not their families fault of course, but I cant imagine not helping my child no matter what so she wouldnt have to be a transient at least for the baby's sake! I would flip out if I knew my daughter and granddaughter were in a cold car in colorado.
I couldn't help but think where other family members were. Maybe they tried to help but were refused.

Can't you lose your children if you are transient? Especially a newborn.:(

Taximom - I would think so. How can you properly care for them in a shelter? They would be at such danger with people with mental disorders and pedophiles? It makes me nervous just thinking about it. You would be afraid to sleep and think someone would hurt your child.

2sisters said:
Not defending her, she did something really stupid, but it may have been an accident. How many of us when we were babies forgot stuff at home? I have had to stop and buy wipes and diapers b/c I left home with out them and teh same with formula. It can happen in those 1st months when you are so tired and trying to adjust to this new life you have.
I'm sorry, but how can this mother be so stupid as not to be able to distinguish Vodka from water????:banghead: The smell alone would give it away!

LinasK said:
I'm sorry, but how can this mother be so stupid as not to be able to distinguish Vodka from water????:banghead: The smell alone would give it away!

I lost my sense of smell when I was pregnant for the first time--this was in the early 70's, and I've only just begun to have some small sense of smell. I am not sure if this is what the Mom suffers from, but Vodka is the least "odorous" of the hard alcohols, and if she reached for a water bottle and was expecting water, she may really not have noticed. I know I can't smell vodka or rum. I do smell whiskey, and some wines. If this mom had a diminished sense of smell , and remembering that she may not have known of her boyfriend's replacing the water in the water bottle with Vodka, she may truly not have noticed.

As an aside, my oldest son works for a construction company and heads a crew of workers-----he tells me that his company has BANNED water bottles on the job sites because it is COMMON for some of these workers to substitute vodka for water.........the company provides a large water dispenser. Even then, my son has found beer hidden in port-o-lets (even under the seat, GAG) , discovered whiskey in coke bottles, etc.

As far as for not making continuous eye contact, she did lift her eyes occaisionally. She looked more ashamed and upset than guilty to me.

kgeaux said:
I lost my sense of smell when I was pregnant for the first time--this was in the early 70's, and I've only just begun to have some small sense of smell. I am not sure if this is what the Mom suffers from, but Vodka is the least "odorous" of the hard alcohols, and if she reached for a water bottle and was expecting water, she may really not have noticed. I know I can't smell vodka or rum. I do smell whiskey, and some wines. If this mom had a diminished sense of smell , and remembering that she may not have known of her boyfriend's replacing the water in the water bottle with Vodka, she may truly not have noticed.
If she had any suspicion, you taste test your baby's water, as you would temperature test it before you give it to them...

I think this is a young girl that made a bad mistake. Obviously, the boyfriend does not care enough about her or the child. I think he knew he would be in trouble at the hospital. That is why he dropped them off there. I don't think she knew what was in the bottle of "water."

To see him on NG holding the mom's hand, makes me sick. I blame him. I think she is a stuck with a loser but does loves her baby and wants her back. There are homes for girls like her to go to.

LinasK said:
I am not excusing her at all, that was just responding to someone wanting to know why she didn't have all of her nessisary supplies with her if she loved her baby. i would like to giver her the benefit of the doubt, but the more that comes out I can't

kgeaux said:

As an aside, my oldest son works for a construction company and heads a crew of workers-----he tells me that his company has BANNED water bottles on the job sites because it is COMMON for some of these workers to substitute vodka for water.........the company provides a large water dispenser. Even then, my son has found beer hidden in port-o-lets (even under the seat, GAG) , discovered whiskey in coke bottles, etc.

As far as for not making continuous eye contact, she did lift her eyes occaisionally. She looked more ashamed and upset than guilty to me.
It still seems to me that this mother just made a potentially fatal mistake. I haven't read anything that suggests otherwise. I empathize with her.

LinasK said:
If she had any suspicion, you taste test your baby's water, as you would temperature test it before you give it to them...

I've raised five boys and I have to admit, I've never tasted any of their bottles! Did you really do that? I nursed almost exclusively, but they did have the occasional bottle, and all I ever did was shake the bottle up and drip a little onto my wrist to see if the temperature-----I don't know if this mom had any suspicions that the water bottle might contain anything other than water, but you're right, if she had any knowledge at all that her boyfriend had ever substituted vodka for water, she should have made sure.

kgeaux said:
I've raised five boys and I have to admit, I've never tasted any of their bottles! Did you really do that? I nursed almost exclusively, but they did have the occasional bottle, and all I ever did was shake the bottle up and drip a little onto my wrist to see if the temperature-----I don't know if this mom had any suspicions that the water bottle might contain anything other than water, but you're right, if she had any knowledge at all that her boyfriend had ever substituted vodka for water, she should have made sure.
That was 5 years ago, so I don't recall, but I can say for certain that I knew the source of any water I used to mix up formula with. I never used water from a water bottle and made up a bottle in a car!

I'm wondering if the boyfriend took off because the hospital probably would check HIS blood alcohol content,and would drag him into jail for driving drunk with a mother and baby in the car?

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eagerhuntress
Back