GUILTY CO - 5 Dead/18 Injured in Shooting at Club Q, Colorado Springs, Nov 2022 *arrest*

The request that Aldrich be addressed with non-binary pronouns has led to speculation that the move may be intentionally misleading - as authorities have not ruled out an anti-LGBT+ motive in the shooting.

The filing appears to mark the first time that Aldrich has ever been publicly referred to as non-binary. Family members have previously referred to Aldrich using he/him pronouns.

Wouldn’t there need to be some kind of proof that this wasn’t a new idea thrown out there by his attorney to help with his defense? Would there need to be witnesses or something that showed that he used they/them pronouns as his preference for awhile before this horrific event?

I would think yes, but... that seems to open up a massive can of worms about questioning people's identity.
Which ironically, I think (maybe?) is the whole point.

jmo
People are very committed to self ID being all that’s required.

Last edited:
It would certainly be very convenient, for anyone, who is faced, with being charged, with a hate crime, to self ID and then possibly avoid that charge.
I honestly don't know how it would benefit anyone to make such a claim since either way, this person will be in jail for the rest of their natural life. There's really no "benefit" here as far as getting a lesser sentence goes.

SBM, replaced names with initials

Neighbor XK, 23, told the Daily Beast that Aldrich would regularly attend a gun range where 'rapid fire' was allowed.

XK also said that in times of anger, Aldrich would use gay slurs and regularly used the word '*advertiser censored***t'.

In a separate interview with CBS News, XK said that Aldrich admitted to using heroin and said that they were addicted to opium.

During that interview, XK discussed the suspect's use of gay slurs saying: 'It didn't come across as true hate like, 'I'm gonna go kill these people.''

That's the part that has to be established according to the law, that "they" targetted them for that specific reason.
I'm using they in quotes because I do suspect this is a legal tactic, which makes the person even more genuinely despicable.

jmo
It very well could be a legal tactic and I agree it would make him despicable. Its an odd move since it would have no effect on the murder charges and those are pretty much going to be a given for conviction.

I think the suspect became non-binary when their attorney came on board. But MOO.

And yes, as a legal tactic, doesn't matter at all. Perhaps to elicit some sympathy for a future jury? Possible mental health defense?

New reporting from Colorado Springs tv station KKTV on what preceded the 2021 incident at the suspect's mother's home that we've been discussing.

Here's my quick summary, so please keep that in mind if I misstate the minor details. I will provide the links below so you can read it.

The jist of the news, in my opinion, is that in summer 2021 Anderson was upset the grandparents planned to move to Florida. Anderson told the grandparents that Anderson was building a bomb in the basement and moving would disrupt plans to commit mass murder. As the grandmother hand a phone in her hand to contact police, Anderson pulled a Glock on grandparents and pointed it at them, took the phone away, and threatened murder-suicide unless they promised not to move, and held them hostage as they begged for their lives. They agreed not to move to Florida, and after at time were able to escape from the house and contact police. That's why Anderson left home and ended up at the house where mom rented a room telling her on the Ring video that the police were looking for Anderson and threatening violence.

It very well could be a legal tactic and I agree it would make him despicable. Its an odd move since it would have no effect on the murder charges and those are pretty much going to be a given for conviction.
It may indeed be a legal tactic, but I wouldn't be surprised if he also has self-hatred. MOO

I'm not sure how this person can still be charged with a hate crime if people who identify as non-binary are considered to be part of the same community this person targetted. But maybe, if certain qualifications are met? Such as previous comments heard by witnesses or something like that?

This article it states "Hate crime charges would require proving that the shooter was motivated by bias, such as against the victims’ actual or perceived sexual orientation or gender identity." Colorado Club Q shooting suspect is 'non-binary,' public defenders say

This article also has a really good explanation of Colorado's hate crime statutes The suspected gunman faces hate-crime charges. Here’s what that means in Colorado.

People of the State of Colorado v. Anderson Lee Aldrich Colorado Judicial Branch
People can certainly commit hate crimes against a group with which they openly identify.

His parents sound like absolute trainwrecks, so he really didn't have a chance.

BTW, if anyone wishes to show any kind of support to Thomas Fierro, who took down that shooter, his wife's microbrewery is easy to find online, and while they don't ship beer, they do have some reasonably priced merchandise. I ordered a t-shirt.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TexasCuriousMynd
Back