Found Deceased CO - Alana Chen, 24, driving to Chautauqua Park, Boulder, for hike, 7 Dec 2019

Discussion in 'Located Persons Discussion' started by rainynights, Dec 9, 2019.

1. ZhaZhaHa

ZhaZhaHa Well-Known Member

It's an article I found linked through a family member's page on FB. Definitely her.

sans_soleil, carbuff, j_in_c and 4 others like this.
  2. SkyBear303

SkyBear303 New Member

It was warm and windy on Saturday. Unusually warm for the cold weather that we have had recently. On 11/26 we had 2’ of snow fall in Boulder, and it’s still melting. Are there any hikers that can say what the conditions of the trails were over the weekend? I’m wondering how far she could have made it into the foothills, if she did make it onto the trails.

3. Tealgrove

Tealgrove Well-Known Member

I was able to pull it up.

Essentially, its a story about conversion therapy, LBGTQ, and the damage it does to those who are subjected to it. An Alana Chen is someone who is written about in the article. She came out to a Priest and then in a nutshell entered conversion therapy (but it was not really her choice), suffered mental health issues as a result, cutting and hospitalization.

To say she is fragile and vulnerable might be an understatement. It appears to be the same Alana Chen who is currently missing.

MOO

4. akazia1978

akazia1978 Well-Known Member

I live in Boulder, and I don't believe anyone would leave at 3pm for even a short hike on Chataqua...besides,it's also slippery and still some snow/ice on the ground.

5. akazia1978

I mean, I'm still having issues walking out to my car from work....and I do hike there (Chat) a lot. I have one or two nutty friends that would hike it...but only in the early am hours. I don't know how avid of a hiker she was...I'm just an average one

Warwick7, NoSI, ZhaZhaHa and 3 others like this.
  6. akazia1978

I haven't checked to see if the star is lit up...that's the only place I've bothered going to at night in winter. I wiped out there though too and broke my wrist. It's further up the hill...and usually an icy area to say the least.

7. SkyBear303

SkyBear303 New Member

The star is lit up every evening. When I heard Chatauqua and a missing car I thought of Flagstaff Mtn...which is where the star is located. The sun has been setting before 5:00 pm recently and once the sun goes behind the mountains it gets very cold and very dark, very fast. I’m really curious to know where her car was found.

carbuff, NoSI, rainynights and 4 others like this.
  8. kaen

kaen Trying to be a good human.

On Alltrails.com, people are reporting ice and snow conditions (approx 3 days ago) on the easier Chautauqua Trail. Seven days ago, on a harder trail, a hiker reported that spikes would be good for the hikes. Seems like there could be hazards that might make this a treacherous endeavor. Her phone being off (according to the first article) makes this even more concerning.

Great thoughts about trail conditions, @akazia1978.

carbuff, Moonracer, KatzEye and 6 others like this.
  9. dspdenver

dspdenver Well-Known Member

Not sure if this is considered MSM, quotes possible family member's FB about car being found, no location, slow connection/timeout loading page but occasionally works on reload:
    https://amarketnews.com/2019/12/09/update-missing-alana-chens-vehicle-found/

j_in_c and inmyhumbleopinion like this.
  10. ZhaZhaHa

Went through as many hashtags as I could think of to find a recent Chautuqua photo...I just cannot find anything within the past couple of days.

I'm in Boulder now and still looking at snow on the grass, ice where it's been melting and re-freezing again. I can imagine a lot of the beginning of the trail is melted off but once you hit shade it's icy. It's passable though, I'm sure. Last Tuesday was really warm (55), and then Saturday was warm too.

carbuff, TessDeco, Warwick7 and 2 others like this.
  11. ZhaZhaHa

totally didn't think about All Trails! I'd say Royal Arch and the loops are the most traveled.

12. ZhaZhaHa

It's weird that there is rumor her car was found but news has not updated anything yet. Would they leave the story alone if the family requested it?

inmyhumbleopinion likes this.
  13. ZhaZhaHa

NoSI and inmyhumbleopinion like this.
  14. My mistake, it is the same Alana as the article

kkdj, carbuff and inmyhumbleopinion like this.
  15. it is her. sorry for confusion

kkdj, carbuff, ColoradoS and 2 others like this.
  16. dspdenver

dspdenver Well-Known Member

Louisville woman missing after leaving to go hiking Saturday
    [The Rocky Mountain Rescue Group said in an email that it is assisting with the search for 24-year-old Alana Chen, whose family said left to go hiking at Chautauqua in Boulder on Saturday.
    The group said they have started helping with cellphone forensics and will have rescuers set for ground search if deemed appropriate.
    Through a Facebook post Monday, Chen's family said her vehicle was found, but authorities have yet to track Chen down.]

carbuff, Warwick7, ZhaZhaHa and 2 others like this.
  17. SkyBear303

SkyBear303 New Member

The Daily Camera, a local Boulder newspaper is reporting that the Boulder Sheriff’s Office Public Information Officer has stated that they are looking for Alana near Gross Reservoir (article behind a paywall). Gross Reservoir is a remote area west of Boulder. The road that leads to Chautauqua also leads to Gross Reservoir, just about an hour so up a narrow and windy mountain road.

carbuff, Moonracer, Warwick7 and 2 others like this.
  18. SkyBear303

SkyBear303 New Member

The Daily Camera, a local Boulder newspaper is reporting that the Boulder Sheriff’s Office Public Information Officer has stated that they are looking for Alana near Gross Reservoir (article behind a paywall). Gross Reservoir is a remote area west of Boulder. The road that leads to Chautauqua also leads to Gross Reservoir, just about an hour so up a narrow and windy mountain road.

19. rainynights

rainynights Well-Known Member