Deceased/Not Found CO - Alvie Webb, 87, hunter, Dolores, Colorado Mountains, 19 Oct 2019

Never thought he could have possibly been accidentally shot.

Are there bears around there? Could he have been attacked by a bear?
I’m unfamiliar with the area so I’m not sure about bears.
As far as accidentally being shot, that isn’t something that crossed my mind either. I noticed the article shared that a gunshot was heard around 9am that morning and it also mentioned possibility of altitude sickness.

We have a very healthy black bear population around these parts. Attacks are incredibly rare, though, and when they do happen it's usually in the spring or summer. It's much more likely he succumbed to the elements or had a medical issue like a heart attack. The altitude and tough terrain is strenuous enough that men half his age can easily find themselves in big trouble fast.

We have a very healthy black bear population around these parts. Attacks are incredibly rare, though, and when they do happen it's usually in the spring or summer. It's much more likely he succumbed to the elements or had a medical issue like a heart attack. The altitude and tough terrain is strenuous enough that men half his age can easily find themselves in big trouble fast.

Thanks for sharing! This makes a lot of sense.
IMO, it’s a health related issue.
However, I find myself questioning whether there are places in the area he could have fallen in to for whatever reason and they just haven’t been able to locate him yet. (Merely throwing out any possibilities...thinking aloud)

Thanks for sharing! This makes a lot of sense.
IMO, it’s a health related issue.
However, I find myself questioning whether there are places in the area he could have fallen in to for whatever reason and they just haven’t been able to locate him yet. (Merely throwing out any possibilities...thinking aloud)

Oh that's very, very possible too. The location he went missing from is particularly remote. The entire SW corner of the state is especially rugged and sparsely populated. We've had a number of cases like you mentioned in parts of the state that are not nearly as off the beaten path as this. Skeletal remains found tucked into the rocks decades after a disappearance. Sometimes people seek shelter in a cave or alcove after getting lost or hurt, and that just makes it even harder to find them.

Dolores in 2019: Memorial Rock a big hit

On Oct. 19, Alvie Webb, 86, of Oklahoma went missing while hunting in the Divide Road-Roaring Fork area of the San Juan National Forest. Webb’s last known location was at a trail that begins at the end of Road 564A, a spur of the Divide Road (Forest Road 564). The rugged, mountainous area is west of the Colorado Trail and 4 miles south of Rico.

Montezuma County Sheriff Steve Nowlin said the county search and rescue team, deputies and K-9 Search and Rescue team, and friends and family of Webb conducted a five-day, on-the-ground search of the area, but nothing was found. A Blackhawk helicopter, Flight For Life helicopter and Civil Air Patrol plane also searched the heavily wooded area from the air.

The weird disappearance of hunter Alvie Webb — StrangeOutdoors.com

Alvie, a former principal and teacher, was with his son, grandson and others and they had camped near Road 564A. They had been elk hunting in that location for the previous five years and knew the area well.

On October 19, the family took Alvie 100 yards down a trail and he was left alone to hunt in a location close to the camp, near a meadow where he hunted the previous year.

The unnamed trail meets up with the Roaring Fork Road (Forest Road 435) after about 2 miles. The area is rugged and mountainous and is west of the Colorado Trail, 4 miles south of Rico.

Alvie was wearing an orange stocking cap, and orange hunter vest over a heavy camouflaged jacket. He had a few food bars and water, but no overnight gear.

Montezuma County Sheriff Steve Nowlin said the county search and rescue team, deputies and K-9 Search and Rescue team, and friends and family of Webb conducted an on-the-ground search of the area, but nothing was found.

Alvie O’Neal Webb

Is this Mr. Alvie Webb?

Memorial service. We would like you to join us in the celebration of the life of Alvie O’Neil Webb, Nov., 16th at 2 p.m. located at Apostolic Faith Church, Trinity 1000 N. Wheeler St.in(link is external) Sallisaw.

Alvie O’Neal (Papaw) Webb was with us until Oct. 19, 2019. Born on Jan. 6, 1933 in Hochatown to Calvin and Leona Webb.

The photo looks like him.
The missing date and the date they have for his passing match.
His granddaughter’s name matches the one interviewed in a previous article.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
butiwantedthatname
Back