CO - Austin Lyle, 17, shoots 2 administrators, East High School, found deceased, Denver, Mar 22, 2023

Since no resource officers or police are permitted on campus, who is making these decisions?

Imho
I would like to know who was responsible for these “pat downs” and were they armed? With no school resource officers on campus, was this “pat down” just part of some administrator’s job who isn’t even armed? And if that admin finds a weapon? What? Ask for it nicely? This is absurd.

They should have never gotten rid of the resources officers. Civilian admins should not have to 'pat down' a volatile student for weapons every day. They Arte not trained to do such a dangerous task. What if they found a loaded Glock? Then what?

What if they found a loaded Glock? Then what?
Maybe quickly engage:

a. "restorative programs" and /or
b. "other community services" ?

I have a suspicion that local social doctrine prevented the following question observed by other members from being asked:

If he was so dangerous that he needed to be patted down daily, what was he doing in the school?

That resounding and unanswered question points towards a break down in common sense.

Last edited:
This article states a male's body was found near where his car was found.
Wow sent the Jefferson County SWAT team, also K9 dogs

A law enforcement source told 9NEWS the body was that of Lyle, and that he died of an apparent suicide.
Park County had issued an emergency alert for the town of Bailey and the surrounding area due to the investigation. Residents were asked to shelter in place and call 911 if they see anything unusual.
McGraw said that shelter-in-place alert has been lifted.
Denver Mayor Michael Hancock acknowledged the potential need for more security in schools.
“This should never – as a parent I can tell you – never – be a concern of a parent of whether or not their kids are safe in their building," he said.
“The police department had been working to have a presence outside of this building for quite some time," Hancock said. "I think it's clear now that we need to do even more interdiction with our police officers inside the buildings."

DPS Superintendent Dr. Alex Marrero declined to comment specifically on Lyle's safety plan, saying it was protected by the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA).
"It's a result of previous behavior," he said. "It's past educational and behavioral experiences that each individual student may have exhibited in the past."
He also said these types of plans are "common" among all schools in DPS and other districts.

I wonder what the " violating board policy" was about at Cherry Creek Overland HS?
Did that violation include firearms?
Were parents and students at East High informed of the potential for violations/and daily pat downs with this new transfer student?
Maybe East was the school where they sent the really dangerous kids in the first place.

I won't say any more about the body found near his car until its identity is confirmed.

Maybe East was the school where they sent the really dangerous kids in the first place.
Possibly.

As an extension of that possibility, I would not be surprised if he had been sent to the district's alternative school. East could have been given additional resources and might be the designated receiving school for all high school students transitioning from alternative schools back to regular schools.

My District operates this way with a middle school. The district, however, retains common sense and truly dangerous "daily pat down types" are simply not allowed back.

The advantage is that such a policy allows for more efficient concentration of "restorative programs" (as to how much good they do, I have no idea) for returning students. The disadvantage is that the policy concentrates a number of problem people in one "lucky" school.

Last edited:
Maybe quickly engage:

a. "restorative programs" and /or
b. "other community services" ?

I have a suspicion that local social doctrine prevented the following question observed by other members from being asked:

If he was so dangerous that he needed to be patted down daily, what was he doing in the school?

That resounding and unanswered question points towards a break down in common sense.
BBM. There is a lot of that going around. Imo.

..... law enforcement sources familiar with Lyle told CBS News Colorado that in 2021, Lyle was attending Overland High School and students who went to the Aurora school with the teenager reported Lyle to the police after seeing pictures on social media of Lyle with a gun.

Sources say Aurora police searched Lyle's home and found a gun, with no serial number, and an extended magazine. The teenager was arrested and a judge placed him on probation, which sources say was still in effect this week. It's illegal in Colorado for a juvenile to be in possession of a handgun.

I won't say any more about the body found near his car until its identity is confirmed.
It’s not. East is the biggest high school in Denver and is generally a pretty good school.

The kid probably just got sent out of the Cherry Creek district and East happened to be the closest out-of-district public school. That’s just a guess, but I’ve worked within DPS and have a general idea of how area schools/districts operate.

Possibly.

As an extension of that possibility, I would not be surprised if he had been sent to the district's alternative school. East could have been given additional resources and might be the designated receiving school for all high school students transitioning from alternative schools back to regular schools.

My District operates this way with a middle school. The district, however, retains common sense and truly dangerous "daily pat down types" are simply not allowed back.

The advantage is that such a policy allows for more efficient concentration of "restorative programs" (as to how much good they do, I have no idea) for returning students. The disadvantage is that the policy concentrates a number of problem people in one "lucky" school.
Based on my experience in DPS, this is only partially correct, but it’s a very good post that has the right general idea.

The restorative programs are much more thorough and individualized at the actual alternative schools (though as you said their “effectiveness” is really hard to assess).

I worked at one of those “lucky” schools, and honestly there are some therapeutic advantages to most of the kids at a school being from the marginalized subset. Just anecdotally, the restorative system works better, and is more thoughtfully constructed, when the kids in it are the norm rather than outsiders.

The flip side is that it can definitely be a problem when a high percentage of students have conflicting gang affiliations, but the same problem exists to an extent at East and is much harder to deal with there just due to the sheer size of the overall student body.

In far too many cases, alt-schools are nothing more than legally mandated warehouses to "keep kids in school". I told a horror story (which I will share via PM) about the alt-school in my old town, which was in a rural Midwestern city of 40,000, to a woman I know who teaches at a regular school in the city where I live now. She told me that the alt-schools here have stricter rules than the regular schools, so kids won't clamor to go there, unlike the other school which did not take attendance or have lesson plans (and the employees there had their own individual reasons for choosing to work there, and it wasn't out of altruism, believe me).

In far too many cases, alt-schools are nothing more than legally mandated warehouses to "keep kids in school". I told a horror story (which I will share via PM) about the alt-school in my old town, which was in a rural Midwestern city of 40,000, to a woman I know who teaches at a regular school in the city where I live now. She told me that the alt-schools here have stricter rules than the regular schools, so kids won't clamor to go there, unlike the other school which did not take attendance or have lesson plans (and the employees there had their own individual reasons for choosing to work there, and it wasn't out of altruism, believe me).

Absolutely. But "far too many cases" does not mean all cases--hell, I'd argue that if that number was 20% that is "far too many" and the reality is without question higher than that. (For what it's worth, I've worked either directly or indirectly with quite a few alternative schools in multiple geographic areas, and it's been in my experience somewhere around 50/50).

I could go for hours on what makes an effective program vs. not (and I have also been in normal public schools that have wonderful alt programs, to be clear), but to me the A#1 principle is, does the school understand that a student needs to have certain basic needs met before they can meaningfully focus on their education, self-improvement, whatever you want to call it? It's Maslow's hierarchy 101, but some of them don't get it or don't care, and those tend to be the ones that are horrible.

In any case, I don't want to derail the thread and I know I kind of started the sidetrack, so my apologies on that. I have "horror stories" all over the grid, but whatever, I know it's reductive for me to say that's just how it goes down sometimes, but it's true. (ETA: should also note I have far more delightful experiences in these settings than I do horror stories!) To our knowledge in this case, no alternative schools have been involved, right? East and Overland definitely are not.

Last edited:
Student accused of attempted murder placed in DPS school despite concerns of principal, Denver Police

In some cases, students suspected of violence are put back into regular classrooms by district leaders against the advice of police and administrators.

McAuliffe International School’s Principal Kurt Dennis also said he believes it’s not just his school that’s received increased pressure from the district to accommodate potentially dangerous students.

“When I saw what happened at East, I recognized the similarities, and it really hit a nerve,” Dennis said. “And I know this is happening beyond McAuliffe International School.” 9NEWS has obtained documents that back up that claim, but for now, we are choosing not to release the documents out of privacy and safety concerns.

I have a feeling Denver is not alone in shuffling dangerous students.

jmo
Uhm. I thought that this was telling (from your link):

Just days after an East High School student shot two of that school’s administrators during a daily “pat down,” the principal of Denver's largest middle school tells 9NEWS his school must also perform daily pat downs on a student charged with, among other things, attempted first-degree murder and illegal discharge of a firearm.

End Quote.

So, this is beyond "behaviors"....and parents and other kids are likely oblivious. This principal (of a middle school) is doing a daily patdown on a student charged with attempted first degree murder.

Yet, many of these same schools won't permit police on campus.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DuckierPresents
Back