CO - Christo's controversial silvery fabric Over the River project gets first okay

Discussion in 'Up to the Minute' started by wfgodot, Jun 29, 2013.

1. wfgodot

wfgodot Former Member

Appeals board upholds permit for Christo project. (AP)

2. Loading...

3. jjenny

jjenny Well-Known Member

I am very confused. What is the point of fabric over the river and why in the world was it granted to begin with?

4. wfgodot

wfgodot Former Member

Christo's (and his late partner Jeanne-Claude's) works are (according to Wiki) "visually impressive and often controversial as a result of [their] scale; the artists have repeatedly denied that their projects contain any deeper meaning than their immediate aesthetic impact. The purpose of their art, they contend, is simply to create works of art or joy and beauty and to create new ways of seeing familiar landscapes."

Those works have included Wrapped Coast; Valley Curtain; The Umbrellas, Japan–USA, 1984–91; Pont Neuf; and Wrapped Reichstag.

5. i.b.nora

i.b.nora I am polka dot

6. wfgodot

wfgodot Former Member

I saw one of their smaller projects, Wrapped Walk Ways, in Kansas City in 1977, I think it was.

7. mysteriew

mysteriew A diamond in process

I looked at
    Running Fence from the above link.

I guess this just isn't my kind of thing.

Though it probably looked pretty spectacular from say a plane. Or maybe a satellite

8. TrackerSam

TrackerSam New Member

I don't understand how covering stuff with fabric is art. Not everyone with a paint brush can create art, but anyone with enough fabric can do what Cristo doe's. I don't get it.

9. wfgodot

wfgodot Former Member

I admit that I wasn't that into Christo even after seeing the KC project; it didn't move me. Then came "Umbrellas" - "one of the umbrellas in California was toppled by high winds, killing one woman and injuring several others" - and I was even less convinced, BUT then came "Wrapped Reichstag," a brilliant work, and I was forced to re-evaluate. I'd been wrong.

Better than I'd thought....

10. mysteriew

mysteriew A diamond in process

11. Reality Orlando

Reality Orlando Verified Aquaculturalist

Nature is art. Besides, wouldn't suspending these panels above the water for two weeks cause the sunlight to be blocked to the water causing not only a shift in photosynthesis but also confusion to the wildlife. I don't see this as anything more than just more pollution that's harming our environment. Sorry :(

12. i.b.nora

i.b.nora I am polka dot

13. wfgodot

wfgodot Former Member

Art, as Shakespeare opined in 'Hamlet,' "holds the mirror up to natue." Christo's mirror is simply closer than most.

14. LadyL

LadyL Well-Known Member

meh - doesn't impress me

art, like beauty, really is in the eye of the beholder

15. deca

deca New Member

I saw the Umbrellas and it was neat- but not worth the cost. Not only was someone killed- IIRC there were complaints that even after the umbrellas were removed and the art was done that they had left materials (trash, concrete pieces, etc) up in that area.

Sometimes I think his stuff isn't so much about the fabric across the river, the umbrellas on the hills, etc.- but the controversy and fighting it takes to put everything up.

16. chissus

chissus Member

Pretty stupid. The money this costs could have a better use. What a waste.

17. jjenny

jjenny Well-Known Member

I had to look that up. Yes, a woman was killed by this umbrella. Unbelievable. Why are authorities allowing this? He is promising to mitigate impacts with fabric over the river project. Yet how believable is it, considering his umbrella project killed a woman and injured other people?

"A 485-pound yellow umbrella, part of an international project of the environmental artist Christo, was toppled by winds on Saturday, killing a woman near here and injuring several other people, officials said."
    http://www.nytimes.com/1991/10/28/us/christo-umbrella-crushes-woman.html

18. Nova

Nova Active Member

It's art.

19. michmi

michmi New Member

I'd never seen that until now. Gorgeous, especially at night. I remember seeing a documentary about "The Gates" in Central Park and I thought that was also an amazing piece of work.

http://www.christojeanneclaude.net/projects/the-gates#.UdD1qztO_Sg