CO - Civil trial of Kobe Bryant

Discussion in 'Celebrity and Entertainment News' started by therealbeatlegirl, May 12, 2004.

1. marine

marine New Member

I agree. She is on her way out. I heard on the radio a couple of weeks ago that she was seen leaving the office of a very prominent divorce attorney. I don't blame her. While I happen to think he did not rape the AV, either way he cheated on his wife. And infidelity is not something I personally would tolerate. :snooty:

2. Newswolf

Newswolf New Member

http://ap.tbo.com/ap/breaking/MGBB8QFT6WD.html

Citing Kobe Bryant's right to a fair trial as well as privacy concerns for his alleged victim, the judge in the NBA star's sexual assault case urged the Colorado Supreme Court on Friday to back up his order barring the news media from publishing details from a closed-door hearing.
    "While it is true that the (news media's) First Amendment freedoms are extraordinarily powerful, they must not be permitted to overcome these most fundamental of personal rights," District Judge Terry Ruckriegle's attorneys wrote in the court filing.

The high court had asked Ruckriegle to justify his threat to hold media organizations in contempt if they publish details from a transcript accidentally sent to seven media organizations last week.

The transcripts deal with attempts by Bryant's attorneys to introduce information about the accuser's sex life and about money she has received under a state victims' compensation program.

3. Newswolf

Newswolf New Member

4. peggy

peggy New Member

DENVER - The attorney for the woman accusing NBA star Kobe Bryant of rape has asked a judge to stop posting court filings online, saying inadvertent leaks have put the woman's safety at risk

link

Thought L. Wood was now her lawyer?

5. VespaElf

VespaElf Little Miss Showcase(runner-up)

Maybe Lin figured out shes a liar and there wont be a payday for him??
    :confused:

One can only hope! :D

6. peggy

peggy New Member

Just thinking, trial (Aug 27?) will be just about same time as republican convention, anyway trial won't be televised so guess it doesn't make much difference. Would really like to at least hear what accuser has to say on stand, and maybe Kobe? Jerry Buss is betting all his nickels (or millions) on Kobe being acquited - Shaq gone, new coach, etc - if he is convicted, or he decides to go to Clippers, poor Buss - who knows what a jury will do?

7. Chapita4

Chapita4 Love Shouldn't Hurt

It is my opinion that she has already been eaten alive and burned at the stake... the victim has been on trial since she asked for help by going to the police.
    Someone else made the point that "rape doesn't seem to be his nature but lying seems to be in hers". Personally I don't know why any woman comes forward to report that she has been a victim of a sexual crime because more often than not she has to defend her innocence.
    Sophisticated womanizers and those who cross the line into rape know how to pick women who make perfect victims - those who drink, use drugs, have mental illness and other "credibility" issues.

I do have to say that I believe the prosecution has more than a he said/she said case or they probably wouldn't have filed the case.
    Most of societies terrible crimes are commited in private with no witnesses.
    Just my private rant!

8. Newswolf

Newswolf New Member

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/5439749

'The judge in the Kobe Bryant sexual assault case on Wednesday barred evidence from a medical exam performed on the NBA star, saying investigators didn’t have the proper court order to take him to the hospital in the middle of the night."

9. peggy

peggy New Member

Yes, but judge did admit his interview and shirt with blood on it, didn't he - so win for both defense and pros

10. Newswolf

Newswolf New Member

http://ap.tbo.com/ap/breaking/MGBXIT3KTWD.html

"With less than six weeks before jury selection begins in Kobe Bryant's sexual assault trial, only one major question remains for the judge to answer: whether the alleged victim's sex life can be used against her. "

11. peggy

peggy New Member

I hope it isn't allowed - actually thought there was CO law that prevented it anyway, rape shield? Either way he rules, expect appeals from one side.

12. peggy

peggy New Member

Kobe back in Colorado this morning for closed door hearings - one on whether to allow live cameras for trial (sure that will be a big no) and allowing text messages

13. Newswolf

Newswolf New Member

14. Newswolf

Newswolf New Member

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/B/BKN_BRYANT_CASE?SITE=MSJAD&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT

The attorney for the woman accusing NBA star Kobe Bryant of rape on Monday urged the judge to stop posting court documents on the Web, saying she and her family are concerned about her safety.

In the first of three hearings scheduled before the Aug. 27 trial, attorney John Clune said mistakes by court staff have put his client in danger. He cited the inadvertent posting of her name in an online document earlier this year and the accidental e-mail of closed-door hearing details to a handful of news organizations last month.

The gaffes have destroyed the faith the woman and her parents had in the justice system, Clune said.........."

15. Newswolf

Newswolf New Member

http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/nm/20040723/us_nm/nba_crime_bryant_dc_6

Key evidence about the sexual activity of a Colorado woman who accuses basketball star Kobe Bryant (news) of raping her will be admitted at his upcoming trial, a judge ruled on Friday, handing a big victory to his defense

The evidence to be admitted at trial concerns any sexual relations the then-19-year-old woman had two days before and hours after she said she was raped at a Colorado spa"

I wonder what this ruling does to the case?

16. snorky

snorky New Member

I think it's a big win for Kobe for sure! Her activities will 'taint' the jury I suspect...

17. Pepper

Pepper Former Member

I totally disagree with this judge's ruling. If he is admitting the sexual activities of this girl 72 hrs. before her encounter with Kobe, then they should line up all those partners along with Kobe, strip them naked and measure their male parts! If defense is saying these other partners could have caused her injuries, then it seems to me that their respective size may matter!

However, I do agree that her sexual activity in the hours after this alleged rape do matter. If she were injured by Kobe, then I find it very unlikely that she would want sex while still injured.

18. VespaElf

VespaElf Little Miss Showcase(runner-up)

I agree with you Pepper..............BEFORE Kobe is irrelevant but AFTER is.

It doesnt matter if she had sex with 100 drunk sailors that night as long as it was before K.B.
    Im really surprised at the Judge's ruling(I was pretty confident her behavior AFTER would be asmissable because he allowed in the text messages etc) but Im surprised at her prior "acts"(even if it is only for 48 hours beforehand) being allowed as evidence.
    I hope this doesnt set a precedent for other cases!!!!!!!!

19. peggy

peggy New Member

From what Dan Abrams said this morning, the 72 hrs prior to incident relates to her credibility--apparently she was asked last time she had sex before and she said several days or something, meaning that if they show she did during those 72 hours, would show she was lying

20. peggy

peggy New Member

From what Dan Abrams said this morning, the hours before incident is to verify her credibility--apparently she said she did not have sex within so many days before, and if they can show she did, then she lied