Missing pregnant Shannon Watts and her two daughter's bodies found, husband arrested
Join the latest discussion

CO - College co-ed loses both legs "train hopping"

Discussion in 'Up to the Minute' started by wfgodot, Sep 5, 2011.

1. wfgodot

wfgodot Former Member

College student, 17, loses both her legs in horrific accident as she and friends tried to jump on moving train
    more, with pictures and video, at Daily Mail link above

2. tezi

tezi Member of Websleuths since 2000.

I read about this earlier. I'm sorry to hear she has lost both of her legs, but she should have known better than to do this.

I think I read in another article that one or two of the other people she was with got tickets for trespassing. Let me go look up the link and I will post it.

ETA: Here is the link and part of the story:

Police and an official from the Burlington Northern Santa Fe Railway interviewed the two men on scene. Police ticketed the two for trespassing.

http://www.timescall.com/ci_18828041

3. angela

angela Member

The pic of the friend with blood all over him comforting the other guy is heart wrenching. Yes, she should have known better but a lot of kids think they are invincible. I know I did. I'm still not sure how I survived my teenage years. I did some pretty stupid stuff. I'm praying that she recovers and I will also pray for the people who witnessed this.

4. LadyL

LadyL Well-Known Member

tragic but it could've been worse of course ...

hope she can recover & continue with her education eventually

5. tezi

tezi Member of Websleuths since 2000.

I didn't mean to sound uncaring when I said she should have known better. It's a wonder I made it through my teenage years and early twenties.

I agree that picture is heart wrenching. I used to live close to the railroad tracks where this happened, so it really hits home for me.

6. tlcya

tlcya Well-Known Member

What tragic consequences to spend a lifetime living with all because of a a stupid decision made in the blush of "invincible" youth. So very sad that this girl's life will be forever changed.

Many of us as teens and young adults made stupid decisions. Many of us were lucky not to have suffered dire consequences as a result. This girl's mistake will haunt her forever, the shoulda woulda coulda's. My heart hurts for her.

7. wfgodot

wfgodot Former Member

Daily Mail, with a tabloid follow-up:

911 tape reveals horrific moment 17-year-old college student lost her legs as she tried to jump on moving train

more, with pictures, video, 911 excerpt, at link above

8. Kat

Kat Kind words do not cost much

So sad. She was majoring in dance. :( My thoughts are with her and her family today.

9. raeann

raeann Well-Known Member

The article above states major in music and art....mentioning doing "projects" quickly, which would fit those two majors. She should be able to continue doing both of those after her recovery.

jmo

10. Kat

Kat Kind words do not cost much

The video stated she was majoring in dance as well. Perhaps I misunderstood what was said.

Still sad though.

11. Peazzzer

Peazzzer I hate liars. Hate em.

Just awful, I am glad that she survived at all. To the rescuers that got involved while waiting for the train to be gone, I applaude you for getting involved. Good samaratins are a dying breed. I hope the girl can forgive herself-I hate when people have to pay for mistakes the rest of their lives! I have done the train hopping w my brother as kids, it is like an art to not get hurt.

12. Tuffy

Tuffy Not really that tough...

I hope she heals too. Although, luckily she survived. It could have been much worse, and she might not have lived.

13. Steely Dan

Steely Dan Former Member

It's really sad and really stupid. Usually I think it's someone's own stupidity and here it was but I guess because it's a young girl I feel worse for her. Growing up as a young guy I know how dumb young guys are and when they make mistakes like this I think they usually deserve the consequences.

I know I'm pretty callous about that.

14. Nova

Nova Active Member

I know what you mean but, really, stupidity knows no gender.

15. wfgodot

wfgodot Former Member

'I vividly remember the entire thing': College student recalls when she watched her legs get severed off as she tried to jump on train
    the rest at Daily Mail link above