Found Deceased CO - David Puckett, 6, Aurora, 31 Dec 2016

Discussion in 'Located Persons Discussion' started by los2188, Dec 31, 2016.

1. alreetlike

alreetlike Wait and hope.

Such sad news. :(

I think this is probably a tragic accident and he has tried walking across the pond and fallen through ice. It's a shame he wasn't located sooner (i.e. no one saw a break in the ice) but that wouldn't have changed the outcome.

Must remember this one as a success for the dogs.

2. Bethan

Bethan Well-Known Member

I am so so sorry ( :

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

3. Pamela_Brewer

Pamela_Brewer New Member

BBM
    Wow! I hadn't heard that!
    Thanks!

4. NewMama

NewMama Well-Known Member

How heartbreaking. I always hold out hope - even if it's just a bit.

Was the pond frozen the night he went missing? If so it looks like he's at least 10' in from the nearest edge. He may have tried to walk it. I'm from down south - is that something kids do in colder climates? Or generally discouraged? Are there lights around that pond? Is it possible he wasn't aware where he was stepping and fell through the ice?

So very sad. Rest In Peace, David.

ETA - TT a little glitchy and I see many posts that answered most of my questions.

I imagine the divers knew to look toward the fountains because of the water flow. A great point was brought up (Steelman), my 2yr old is fascinated by fountains. My 5yr is, too, but knows you want walk on water. If the pond was frozen then David might have tried to get a closer look at the fountains.

5. DatelineFan

DatelineFan Well-Known Member

A little girl I know who turned 3 a month ago knows her way through the city (San Francisco) to her favorite park. Kids are smart.

6. Pamela_Brewer

Pamela_Brewer New Member

BBM

I'm praying this was a horrible accident! If he had a history of wandering off, he probably knew how to get to the fountain. IMO

7. Blaverty

Blaverty Former Member

So if there was a body blocking the pump in the water, wouldn't the outflow from the fountain be a little affected? No one noticed?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. kanzz

kanzz kanzz=kansas

The pump would likely take in water from all around the base, so the body would maybe have blocked only one location. It might have put a stress on the motor, but most are designed to handle some amount of debris anyway (leaves, etc.).

9. Ontario Mom

Ontario Mom stay safe ♥ be kind

I had the same thought. The water pressure of the fountain would be considerably lower than usual. Although, pumps of that size are incredibly powerful and have commercial grade filters as well.

Heartbreaking conclusion for his family, no matter how he ended up there.

10. apricot

apricot Inactive

I'm so sorry for poor little David and his family and friends. Colorado has its share of heartbreak, that is for sure.

The "300 days of sunshine" was a ploy to get people to move there to work on the railroad - http://www.westword.com/news/colora...and-states-climatologist-tells-us-why-5875821

There are not 300 sunny, beautiful days in Colorado. I have seen snow accumulation stick around all around the Boulder and Denver areas for weeks. The whole "it melts the same day" is also a myth- it does happen but I didn't see that regularly.

11. LietKynes

LietKynes "Law is the ultimate science."- Liet Kynes

Rest gently, David !

Curious if there's any security video of him out walking ? Did anyone approach him ? Older kids, etc.?

12. nikb

nikb Active Member

Not surprised to see this outcome but it is still so sad. It really does sound like a tragic accident to me, but I'm glad they are investigating just in case.

If it is an accident I hope some lessons can be learned from it that might help others.

Poor thing. Rest in warm and comfortable peace little one.

13. nikb

nikb Active Member

As to the practical questions, if he was found in or near the pump that makes sense. It pulls everything towards it.

I imagine the fountain could be a big draw, especially if lit up at night. And of course if running the ice wouldn't be thick or stable the closer you got to it.

As for why no one saw a refrozen cracked spot, it doesn't look like a particularly smooth pond. If it's regularly warming up and refreezing I'm sure the ice all looks pretty cracked and foggy under the surface of the new ice. Also - ugh hurts to type this - he's a small child. If he fell straight in with no real time to fight or struggle, there might not be a very large crack or hole where he slipped into the water.

14. Pamela_Brewer

Pamela_Brewer New Member

15. Tulessa

Tulessa Well-Known Member

16. Onebest

Onebest Well-Known Member

Grateful, eternally grateful to the K9 Teams who helped recover little Davids body. Am heartbroken for his family and loved ones and all those that tried so hard to bring him home safe. Its a tormenting hurt when it just doesnt happen.
    Praying for comfort and Gods gentle kindness to be with all.

17. ZhaZhaHa

ZhaZhaHa Well-Known Member

I disagree, respectfully. Sunny doesn't have to equal warm, but the sun does shine most days. Roads are usually dry by the end of the day when it snows that morning because the sun helps. Boulder is a different story with roads...they don't focus as much money and time into snow removal as some other cities. Denver side streets as well. You get your main arteries plowed first and foremost and you're lucky if a plow comes through a week after a really big storm. If you have a north facing house, your driveway and street will likely stay slick. But otherwise, it does melt rather quickly, overall. My hubby is from Michigan and we've visited in the winter. Now that's some snow that stays.

18. marinthinker

marinthinker Active Member

BBM
    Body believed to be of missing 6-year-old Aurora boy found in icy park pond
    POSTED 11:12 AM, JANUARY 3, 2017, BY CHUCK HICKEY, UPDATED AT 12:57PM, JANUARY 3, 2017
    Bloodhounds were brought in early in the investigation, but a speciality dog was brought in Monday night and it gave indications around the pond. Firefighters went into the water Tuesday morning and found the body, Metz said.

19. Momma2cam

Momma2cam Well-Known Member

Greatly depends on where in Michigan. We often comparable snow and temps to what you're describing. It's 43 and raining currently and all snow has been melted for over a week. We've only had one snow fall this season right before Christmas. However, northern michigan gets much more snow and for longer durations. Perhaps Colorado is similar. That said, most days are not sunny regardless of snow in the winter!

I was comparing our weather to Colorado's the last few days to vision how this little guy may still be alive. Our ponds are only slightly frozen right now, too, so can see how he likely fell in.

Heartbreaking to think about.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

20. ZhaZhaHa

ZhaZhaHa Well-Known Member

And all of those homes down that main road, nobody saw him walking? Nobody was headed out to dinner at that time? I'm just so sad about this. Are we so focused on our own world (phones), that we're missing things around us?