Found Deceased CO - David Puckett, 6, Aurora, 31 Dec 2016

Pamela_Brewer

Reaction score
Aurora Police department:
From last night.

[video=twitter;816818986050523136]https://twitter.com/AuroraPD/status/816818986050523136[/video]

Ambitioned

Reaction score
Poor little one...breaks my heart. I think the only time I have ever really spanked my little one was the time I watched her walk out the door, and quietly followed her as she made her way to the sidewalk. Scared me to death that she was brave enough to do that. I remember calling my husband and crying because it scared me she would do that, and upset because I had spanked her. After that I called a child proof service who came in and installed lots of safety measures. I only pray that his death was so swift he wasn't scared long and that other parents may take an over abundance of caution. You can buy little alarms that go on doors and windows that will make a piercing beeping sound if opened. If you have children, younger or older, they are worth every penny.

Funny thing is, I grew up in a military family. We were all woken up with flashlights. I can sleep through anything too! Sirens, alarms, you name it. I grew up with a SonicAlert alarm clock that flashed lights when it was time to wake up. I have guardianship of my nephew so I got a SonicAlert mat for his bedroom doorway. If he steps on it the lights in my room go off.

(Yes, everyone laughs at how I'm dead to the world when I sleep and how I'd be the perfect victim if someone broke in). So anyway since you brought up alarms I had to mention that. :)

As for the boy, it is truly heartbreaking. RIP David. :rose:

Ambitioned

Reaction score
Yes. True. They are not always effective. But one dog did track him. So he was, in fact, found by a tracking dog. I;m not sure how that shows these dogs aren't useful. And the examples I gave above show they absolutely can track effectively. So it's not hocus pocus.

These dogs are nothing short of amazing. God Bless them and their trainers. That goes for ALL dogs including bomb sniffing dogs and drug sniffing dogs as well. I wish more people could watch them being trained and see the work they do. Major respect for the canines please. :clap:

skibaboo

Mrs Map
Reaction score
From last night.

[video=twitter;816818986050523136]https://twitter.com/AuroraPD/status/816818986050523136[/video]

Eeek. Not sure that is a good response from APD, as they are still investigating

SerenitySprings

Reaction score
Keep in mind that the weather last week was relatively warm. The pond water would have been cold on Saturday at 4:30ish but maybe not frozen, especially in the middle where it's a bit deeper.

Maybe he went "swimming" or whatever and the pump where he was found sort of sucked him up and he drowned?

I know that the police said there were no obvious signs of traumatic injury to the child but he might not have had to crack through ice to get trapped under it.

For instance, the pond is not particularly deep. I'm 5'4" and I bet it would come up to my shoulders or neck if I was standing on the ground in the middle of the pond. The sides near the sidewalk would be even more shallow. So maybe he started walking across the ice and the middle ice was not as strong due to the moving water underneath its surface. The ice there could have broken or even not completely frozen at that time. He could have gone under and maybe as the pump moved his body closer to it, he got caught under ice farther from the middle and couldn't get out.

Also, different dogs were used on different days. Could be that the dogs used on Saturday and Sunday weren't trained as air scent or cadaver dogs.

All of this is pure speculation. I think it's plausible that the searchers could have missed the pond because there might not have been evidence of cracks or whatever.

MOO

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Pamela_Brewer

Reaction score
Eeek. Not sure that is a good response from APD, as they are still investigating
There is a video of them retuning to the scene and laying a wreath for him. They are all terribly upset.
I agree the temperature of the water may be why this isn't sounding like an accidental drowning, I hope that they are just waiting on toxicology before calling it an accident.
Makes me a little anxious! At least we know he wasn't injured at any point. It's all so sad!

Peppery

Reaction score
Wouldn't it only take one attempted breath for water to enter the lungs? Even if the water had been 33 degrees I would expect him to take a few breaths.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

kanzz

kanzz=kansas
Reaction score
Wouldn't it only take one attempted breath for water to enter the lungs? Even if the water had been 33 degrees I would expect him to take a few breaths.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Yes. The involuntary reflex upon falling into cold water would be to gasp. Laryngospasm also occurs, sometimes soon enough and if it continues that it doesn't allow any water to enter the lungs.. aka dry drowning.

Ambitioned

Reaction score
Article about David

I apologize for posting an old article but the comments are interesting. Some are from a family member (mustangsallyann) who pointed out that snarky comments are hurtful. I completely agree.

[FONT=&quot]I know you're right about staying off social media but in this day and age it's a necessary evil. You find info you might not otherwise get, and we did. When it got so hard after the first day and a half, I began to monitor for that info to keep them unaware of the very hurtful comments. For the most part I just tried to stay silent and read but with the outcome now known, it's become especially hard. We all know the media's in trouble for false reports but that's quickly forgotten by posters looking for excuses to be hateful. They're usually the same people that troll to be ignorant no matter what it is. A simple question isn't near as bad as the unnecessary nasty comments and judgments, which BTW, are so misguided and wrong. I hope you can see the huge difference between the two. I couldn't say things like some do to my very worst enemy and know most that do only do so because they're hidden behind a computer monitor. They critique parenting yet it's obvious they're lacking themselves. Most good parent's teach their children when young, if you haven't something good to say, keep your mouths shut. I should've just passed them by as I have for the most part but it's incredibly painful so although rare, opened my mouth. My son is married to his aunt and she's not my daughter in law, she's my daughter. Likewise my grand's are his cousins and everyone is already hurting so much. I'm just a lion that will always protect my cub's. Hopefully you understand a little better about where we're coming from.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]In any case I'm so grateful for those that continue to state their condolences and prayers. It's wonderful to know not all out there are heartless and just plain evil.[/FONT]

Mica

Reaction score
Yes. The involuntary reflex upon falling into cold water would be to gasp. Laryngospasm also occurs, sometimes soon enough and if it continues that it doesn't allow any water to enter the lungs.. aka dry drowning.

In dry drowning, someone takes in a small amount of water through his or her nose and/or mouth, and it causes a spasm in the airway, causing it to close up. Dry drowning usually happens soon after exiting the water.

http://www.parents.com/kids/safety/outdoor/dry-drowning/

kanzz

kanzz=kansas
Reaction score
In dry drowning, someone takes in a small amount of water through his or her nose and/or mouth, and it causes a spasm in the airway, causing it to close up. Dry drowning usually happens soon after exiting the water.

http://www.parents.com/kids/safety/outdoor/dry-drowning/
Yes, usually; but not always. It can also happen in a cold water drowning.

"So what is a laryngospasm? You can do some research on the internet under drowning, dry drowning and laryngospasm. There is some correlation to the Mammalian Dive Reflex in that all mammals may experience this involuntary reflex where the larynx closes the throat. It can be triggered by a number of things, most commonly a splash of cold water on the back of the throat or vocal cords. The research says that roughly 10% of drowning victims suffer a "dry" drowning where water wasn't inhaled into the lungs."
http://www.nrs.com/safety_tips/dry_drowning.asp

Wyle_E_Coyote

Northern Virginia
Reaction score
No, they didn't. Listen to the press conference from yesterday. The Captain said that dogs were brought in at the very beginning, but with no success......then they brought in a "specialty" dog, which tracked to the pond. So with a little bit of twisted logic and stretching.........I guess one could say the dog (singular) found him.

For every success story you can list, I can come up with 10 examples where the dogs failed...............veteran sleuthers in here know exactly what I'm talking about.

You can watch the press conference in it's entirety here: https://www.facebook.com/fox31denver/videos/10154966222396600/

The comment about the dogs starts around 5:50

BBM

Sounds about like the success rate for human searches. [emoji53]

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Classy1

Reaction score
I hope this isn't disallowed here, but something doesn't sit right with me.

Momma2cam

Reaction score
I hope this isn't disallowed here, but something doesn't sit right with me.
I've had that feeling from the beginning but hope I'm wrong.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

Pamela_Brewer

Reaction score
I've had that feeling from the beginning but hope I'm wrong.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk
You are not alone or I should say we are not alone. There is some concern that is being voiced.

Aurora PD response to a question.
[video=twitter;817171850924916736]https://twitter.com/AuroraPD/status/817171850924916736[/video]

Razz

Reaction score
From last night.

Now that is strange. If he didn't fall through the ice, what are they implying?

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

JadeSLeuth

Reaction score
Holy moley. Thats a pretty terse, yet revealing response. In my city, LE wouldnt have responded at all...

SerenitySprings

Reaction score
Holy moley. Thats a pretty terse, yet revealing response. In my city, LE wouldnt have responded at all...

LE and other public officials are quite good about responding to social media. They have employees whose only job is to monitor and manage social media.

I think for the APD part of it is about transparency and part of it is they understand that they cannot give the community details about cases like this in an effort to find missing children or alleged criminals and then expect them to stop being involved once the immediate situation is resolved. They know that if they want to continue asking the public for assistance, they can't cut the public off immediately.

I also think part of it is about protecting victims. We all basically know where this family lives now. If the police aren't answering questions, maybe people will harass the family or otherwise bother them. This is one way their privacy can be maintained during this difficult time.

Also, in Colorado the authorities focus on rehabilitation more than incarceration and having transparency with officials helps this goal along.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro