GUILTY CO - Dylan Nicholas Redwine, 13, Vallecito, 19 Nov 2012 *father arrested* #5

Discussion in 'Trials' started by Niner, Jun 25, 2021.

1. nannymo

nannymo Well-Known Member

BBM
    On one of the true crime channels they said it was probably already decided with one or two people hesitant about his testimony and wanted to remember what he said and the Foreman said..."well lets just ask to see it if it will make you feel better." After asking and being refused they said.....ok! Guilty it will be! At least that was the way they felt it might have gone.

Bravo, Alethea, Niner and 8 others like this.

2. nannymo

nannymo Well-Known Member

Deleted-double posted

3. Teche

Teche Well-Known Member

Welcome back!

Bravo, byo, al66pine and 6 others like this.
  4. CrimeDawg123

CrimeDawg123 Well-Known Member

BBM. Apparently they reached the verdict before receiving the answers, presumably not before asking the questions. The judge asked the foreman, "I've been informed that the jury has reached the verdict prior to receiving the answer to the question that it sent out?" Still curious why they asked them though.
    The judge says that around the 3:30 mark:

Bravo, al66pine, Warwick7 and 5 others like this.
  5. Emerald1328

Emerald1328 Well-Known Member

Good catch! Yes, still a bit odd.

6. cattlekate

cattlekate Well-Known Member

Guilty!

My heart still breaks for Dylan, Elaine, Cory, and Mike. It’s been 8.5 years when we Coloradans first saw the news reports of a “missing” teenage child on his first visit with a mostly absentee Dad after Mom moved. And thus child support shifted from Elaine paying Mark to Mark paying Elaine for a little bit of CS.

The judge is long dead. Elaine did everything to foster a parental relationship. But Mark needed his psycho revenge I guess.

I so appreciate Tricia for offering this forum. It’s been a long heartbreaking journey.

Nothing will bring back this little boy. But maybe family law judges will look at parenting-time history/child support before ordering visits.

Bravo, Terrib11, Leader6518 and 13 others like this.
  7. cattlekate

Yes. Premeditated. Absolutely.

Mark never paid CS until Elaine moved from Durango to Colorado Springs. Yet Mark did not exercise his parenting time much in Durango and who knows where Elaine’s dutiful CS went to. Probably for Mark’s living expenses.

I always believed the August 2012 baseball trip and Nov 18, 2012 “sit down dinner” were an attempt by Mark to have Dylan stay in Bayfield and show he was an “involved Dad” thus he could keep receiving CS from Elaine.

Mark planted the “divorce papers” on the little kitchen table so he could convince Dylan his Dad was “done wrong.” Or if Dylan said no then make a “runaway” excuse.

Conniving and sociopathic without a doubt. I never believed it was just about “the photos” but that’s how it shook out. Thank God for the DA and jurors.

Bravo, Leader6518, Niner and 10 others like this.
  8. OverthinksIt

OverthinksIt Active Member

Despite my lack of posts, I have been following this case on Websleuths since the beginning and want to thank all of you for your thoughts and insights, especially throughout the trial.

Please excuse the swear (I don't mean any disrespect) but the below is just too perfect not to share while we're all celebrating this verdict after so many frustrating years.

The "HE'S GUILTY" Video:
    MADISON MCFERRIN

RIP beautiful Dylan. May your memory be a blessing to all who loved you -- and may your death be a warning to every judge who refuses to listen to children.

Bravo, Terrib11, al66pine and 6 others like this.
  9. Redhead72

Redhead72 Member

It's been a long time, but I had to come back to where it all began for me... Here at WS when I ran across one of the first threads for Dylan all the way back in early December 2012. What a long, hard 9 years it has been... But Dylan's legacy is the love and unbreakable friendships developed along the way.

Thank GOD Justice has been served!
    Rest in Peace, Dylan! You will remain in all of our hearts forever!

WE DID IT!!! <3

Augustgurl, Bravo, Terrib11 and 13 others like this.
  10. cattlekate

Thank you for coming back. I remember you dearly. This has been such a long journey. My heart still just breaks. I so appreciate this WS forum because we all asked intelligent and thoughtful questions right off the bat.

Bravo, Terrib11, al66pine and 5 others like this.
  11. Funky funky

Funky funky Well-Known Member

I’m from Ireland so forgive my ignorance but what is the situation with regards to child contact in Colorado?
    Over here the feelings of the child are taken into account and the child would not be forced to go visit a parent if they didn’t want to or the visit would be supervised. Did Dylan have a say in this it all? Again, apologies as I’m unsure how things work in the States .

Bravo, cattlekate, Dontknow? and 3 others like this.
  12. sapphire blue

sapphire blue Well-Known Member

Hey it’s good to see you post, I was formerly Aust amateur sleuth.

Bravo, cattlekate and al66pine like this.
  13. katydid23

katydid23 Well-Known Member

Here, it is kind of up to Family Court Judge. And they take the child's age into account. Dylan was on the borderline of being able to say NO.

A child has to have a valid reason to reject visitation. Otherwise they can be manipulated by one parent or the other, through bribery or dishonesty. So the child has to have a solid reason---like abuse or neglect, to avoid visitation.

Once a child is 13 or 14, most judges will accept a child's opinion and will discuss with them their reasons, and will side with them in most cases. It is heartbreaking that the judge didnt listen to Dylan that last time.

14. mothwings

mothwings Well-Known Member

Now that a verdict has been rendered, a look back at the early days:

Bravo, nannymo, dixiegirl1035 and 5 others like this.
  15. mothwings

mothwings Well-Known Member

Hoping Kyron Horman's case is solved next. I see posts from his mom literally everyday.

Bravo, Terrib11, La Louve and 16 others like this.
  16. al66pine

al66pine Well-Known Member

Colorado Statute. Best Interests of Child & Child's Wishes?
    @Funky funky
    Good question. My post does not address Dylan's custody specifically, as I've not seen court documents re Mark & Elaine's dissolution of marriage or any later proceedings, have not even seen MSM re ct orders. Maybe someone else can address that. As to CO law---

In "Allocation of parental responsibilities" & "Determination of parenting time" (formerly called custody), CO law* requires judges to take "all relevant factors into consideration" in determining the "best interests of the child." The first factors listed are:
    "(I) The wishes of the child's parents as to parenting time;
    (II) The wishes of the child if he or she is sufficiently mature to express reasoned and independent preferences as to the parenting time schedule;
    (III) The interaction and interrelationship of the child with his or her parents, his or her siblings, and any other person who may significantly affect the child's best interests;
    (IV) The child's adjustment to his or her home, school, and community;
    (V) The mental and physical health of all individuals involved, except that a disability alone shall not be a basis to deny or restrict parenting time;...
    " and more. bbm

Another source: "A child’s own wishes are considered in making a child custody determination in Colorado. The judge will listen to the child if the child is mature enough to have an independent opinion. Unlike many states, there’s no age at which the judge must listen to the child’s wishes. Also, the court makes the ultimate decision as to where a child lives, not the child."** bbm

When was most recent petition or motion re "parenting time" (Dylan's custody) filed in ct?
    I wonder if he had an opportunity to express his wishes to the judge. How old was he then?

So the child's wishes are a factor in the decision the judge makes, like @katydid23 :)posted above. Thx katydid23.:)
    * 2016 Colorado Revised Statutes Title 14 - Domestic Matters Dissolution of Marriage - Parental Responsibilities Article 10 - Uniform Dissolution of Marriage Act§ 14-10-124. Best interests of child
    ^ CO Rev Stat § 14-10-124 (2016)

^ 2016 Colorado Revised Statutes :: Title 14 - :: Domestic Matters :: Dissolution of Marriage - Parental Responsibilities :: Article 10 - Uniform Dissolution of Marriage Act :: § 14-10-124. Best interests of child
    ** Colorado Child Custody Laws - FindLaw

17. katydid23

katydid23 Well-Known Member

I agree. That case just kills me and solving it is way over due. :(

18. Cardinal47

Cardinal47 Well-Known Member

I'm kind of foggy on facts...it's been a long time..but if I remember correctly Elaine did have a court hearing on this trip and the judge even took Dylan into chambers for a chat.

Would a young boy tell the judge about the pictures and how much he didn't want to go? Could he have been scared of this important man in a black robe?

I don't know but I do know if Dylan did tell this judge was very wrong to make him go.

I'm sure Elaine and Mike have gone over it a million times. What if...

19. al66pine

al66pine Well-Known Member

@Cardinal47
    I wonder: what was judge's original order re "parenting time"/custody & visits?
    What year? How old was Dylan then?
    What was judge's modified order re "parenting time"/custody & visits?
    Was there actually a motion to modify & a hearing prompted in anticipation of this visit?
    If only judges were mind readers who could detect evil beneath the surface of parents like MR.

Regardless, it's a crying shame when parents cannot agree on these matters and are forced to
    resort to courts to resolve disagreements. Not victim-blaming the Mother, who seems to have tried to comply w judge's order for visitation. And who did not know the monster MR is. my2ct.

Cindizzi likes this.
  20. Cindizzi

Cindizzi Well-Known Member

EH’s divorce attorney who also became a close family friend testified about DR speaking to the Judge in the September 2012 custody hearing. At 11:00