CO- Dylan Redwine, 13, Vallecito, 19 November 2012 - #46

Status
Not open for further replies.
I never said we needed to know the ins and outs.

Your post said

"I personally don't feel we heard enough about them checking out the RSO's"

Which I took to mean you wanted LE to give more info on how they came to this conclusion :cow:

I hope this is accurate ^^^. I had always assumed records sealed meant ZILCH , even a label like RSO unless you re offend as an adult. It would certainly be nice to know that LE can access those people and even talk to / question them if their records are 'sealed' and they had a sex crime conviction. Because let's face it adult RSO's began somewhere and a lot of times young people slip under the radar just due to age even though they may already be some pretty nasty characters.

Ok let's say you're 16 , commit a sex crime, get convicted, get records sealed and get NO RSO label. Do you automatically get one when you turn 21 or 18 even if you do NOT re offend? That must be the case, right?

Here is what I can share on the topic of juvenile SO's convicted of crimes within Colorado, and whether they are required to be RSO's as adults or not;

In the cases I am referring to - in one an 11yo was convicted of sexual assault, and one 13yo self-confessed to molestation. Both were convicted of the crimes and placed on a juvenile sexual offender registry, were ordered mandatory counseling, and probation-type requirements such as interaction w/children restrictions, non-contact of victim restrictions, and other such basic and typical restrictions normally applied in these cases.

After mandatory counseling was received, the juvenile could then petition to court to have their registration requirements removed. It would be up to the court to then approve or deny that request.

As it stands currently, both of the above mentioned boys (now young men) completed their counseling and probation req.'s and the courts granted them leave of the restrictions. Had they not completed treatment programs, and motioned the court it would have transferred to their adult file, and they would have still been required to maintain their RSO compliance.

Whether or not LEOs have access to these records, or whether they are technically completely sealed, I do not know for sure. Although, that is an answer I would like to find out myself as well...

I will do a little research into this because I've been meaning to, but have been putting it off. I have yet to confirm it, but it is my feeling that there was some kind of a Supreme Court Ruling between 2000 and now, as I didn't recall this being the way it was stated to me in 1999 in regard to these two individuals. The way it was stated to me was that at the one that was convicted of the more serious offenses (the 11yo) would be on the RSO list for life, no matter what...

I will post again if I find anything definitive regarding availability to LE of juvenile SO status, or criminal record. Most times the records, are sealed to protect the identity of the victim, but the actual record of conviction as a juvenile may be treated separately or something.

I'll read through the thread, and posts that may have come along while I was typing all of this to see if this question has been answered more thoroughly than I can, at this time, too.

Add in parental guilt, and you've got either a fail or an inconclusive result. Say the examiner asks you this: "Did you have anything to do with your child's disappearance?", and you think "Oh crap, I didn't check on him/her before I went to bed, etc"...this is a great example of parental guilt/self-blame, and enough to fail.

It is my understanding that they account for this in the way they ask the questions. If they did not, then no parent could ever pass a LDT in the case of a missing or harmed child because I guarantee you that there is no parent out there - even those completely innocent - that do not feel guilt when their child has been taken or hurt, even if there was nothing they could have done to prevent it...

I have always thought it possible that the mail carrier did see Dylan with another boy. Maybe the two of them were horsing around and Dylan fell into the lake. When Dylan did not surface, the other boy was afraid and ran back to his home or some other place and has been afraid to tell anyone about the accident.

I have always thought it possible that the mail carrier did see Dylan with another boy. Maybe the two of them were horsing around and Dylan fell into the lake. When Dylan did not surface, the other boy was afraid and ran back to his home or some other place and has been afraid to tell anyone about the accident.

The only problem with the mail carrier's statement is that LE have ruled that out, and did so quite soon, iirc.
The only person who maintains that the statement was reliable is MR himself, and he claims that LE ignored it, which they did not.

The only problem with the mail carrier's statement is that LE have ruled that out, and did so quite soon, iirc.
The only person who maintains that the statement was reliable is MR himself, and he claims that LE ignored it, which they did not.

Thanks, Redhead72.

I still think the scenario is possible, whether it was the two boys witnessed by the mail carrier or not.

Pretty certain that once you're a RSO, it doesn't matter your age, you're classified. The records would be sealed, of course, but not the RSO label. I could be wrong about this, however.

I agree about checking out every RSO in the area. The lack of thoroughly checking out every RSO is how Shawn Hornbeck was gone so many years, and how Ben Ownby was abducted by the same guy. (I forget his name right now) Same goes for the guy looking at the rental...I hope he was thoroughly checked out as well.

See my post here: [ame="http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showpost.php?p=9069668&postcount=64"]Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community - View Single Post - CO- Dylan Redwine, 13, Vallecito, 19 November 2012 - #46[/ame]

I replied to SCHMAE's reply to you, but wanted to make sure you saw this as well...

This is up-to-date in re: to juvenile sex offenders in Colorado. I am doing some more research into availability of the actual conviction records to LEOs, as I'm not sure about that part of it. When I find the answer (I may have to actually call out to CO and inquire) I will post here about it.

Thanks, Redhead72.

I still think the scenario is possible, whether it was the two boys witnessed by the mail carrier or not.

Perhaps, although imo that would be unlikely. But, as you said - still possible I suppose even ruling out anyone seeing them. I would think that the LEOs would have contacted all of the young men around Dylan's age to ask about them having any contact with him, or even if someone had been seen acting suspiciously towards them, etc...

ETA: See the post below... I didn't realize this had actually gone through. I worded it differently and added some more thoughts/info. in the next post. I thought perhaps the first sentence might be taken as being snarky though not intending it to be so.

As always, all of the above is MOO! :cow:

Thanks, Redhead72.

I suppose without knowing everything the LEOs are privy to anything is possible. I do think the likelihood of an accidental drowning has been decreased by the LE statements that this is a criminal case, and that they see it as an abduction case.

I would think that the LEOs would have contacted all of the young men around Dylan's age to ask about them having any contact with him, or even if someone had been seen acting suspiciously towards them, etc... as part of an initial canvass during the initial searches. A child withholding something out of fear (who would realistically likely be Dylan's friend) wouldn't be hard to identify to those trained in looking for the signs - especially after the FBI had come in. And, especially after 4 months now... A child who would probably feel guilty wouldn't be able to hold it for that long with all the attention, imo.

ETA: Sorry for the double post. Browser showed an error upon posting the last comment, and I wanted to re-word, and add some info. for clarification of my opinion/viewpoint.

As always, all of the above is MOO! :cow:

http://www.familywatchdog.us/laws/colaws.asp

More information can be found there on the specific laws as well...

I wanted to say Thank you for pulling up the statutes. I'm curious as to why the two juveniles I was referring to were allowed to petition the court for removal of their RSO requirements - particularly as the victim & family were not notified of any such hearing, nor were statements requested, either... I know this was done as it was confirmed to me that they were not required to register by the District Attorney's office in the county the crimes occurred in, and they were able to give me the dates that their motions were granted by the courts.

I'm kind of as confused as I was before I found out that the 11yo I mentioned was allowed to be let off the RSO list, after supposedly being on there for life - regardless of treatment completion or not... :( :furious: :banghead:

ETA: Going to have to take a break for a while due to this hitting so close to home... Need to reflect, regroup, and hopefully be able to research the discrepancy between the statutes and the actuality in these two cases. Thanks to everyone for their assistance in answering the questions brought up. So many years later, and it still causes pain - sometimes I really think it's not fair that they are not going to be "known" for life, even though part of me knows that not ALL juvenile offenders will re-offend.

I wanted to say Thank you for pulling up the statutes. I'm curious as to why the two juveniles I was referring to were allowed to petition the court for removal of their RSO requirements - particularly as the victim & family were not notified of any such hearing, nor were statements requested, either... I know this was done as it was confirmed to me that they were not required to register by the District Attorney's office in the county the crimes occurred in, and they were able to give me the dates that their motions were granted by the courts.

I'm kind of as confused as I was before I found out that the 11yo I mentioned was allowed to be let off the RSO list, after supposedly being on there for life - regardless of treatment completion or not... :( :furious: :banghead:

You know, I am with you there on being pretty lost. I skimmed through a few things and it seems there are a lot of POV regarding juveniles having to register so maybe there is some safety clause somewhere that just wasn't posted on that particular site? Since maybe it's on a case by case review? I do think there are many instances where it's unfair for a juvenile to have to register, one scenario I read was about a 17 year old and 14 year old having voluntary sex, and parents pressing charges. In cases where someone lies about their age and then engages in sex with another, for example the girl who goes to a college party all dressed up she passes for 18 and tells a guy she is 18. Those are ones that really throw me for a loop and really make me think, is it fair. In violent and forced cases, yes. If a 17 year old engaged in sex with a 6 year old, yes definitely.

The yeses I mean they should have to register. The other cases are the ones I am not sure they should be made to register. In some states the only ones who have to register I believe are the violent ones or the ones who involved a minor children. But that's in adult cases.

Well, then you go to the guy who was in the area looking at the rental house, the guy the family states is "cleared" already.

LE stated he was cleared, it was in a msm after DP IIRC. I don't believe the family ever cleared him.

Per Tricia I was asked to post this new press release

News Release: LPCSO Update on Investigation of Disappearance of Dylan Redwine
Date/ Time: 4:00PM MST Tuesday March 19th 2013
Source: Dan Bender, PIO La Plata County Sheriff’s Office Durango, Colorado

Narrative:
According to the La Plata County Sheriff’s Office, on November 19, 2012, the day Dylan Redwine was reported missing, there was a reported sighting by a local postal worker indicating that Dylan was seen walking with another boy in Vallecito at about 2:00 PM. Investigators have identified and contacted these two young people and determined they have no connection to Dylan’s disappearance. Investigators continue to investigate reported sightings in Colorado and other states, but to date, none have been confirmed.

In February, investigators asked the public to help identify a man who was seen in Vallecito looking for gas on the day Dylan was reported missing. Investigators were able to identify and contact the man. He has not been linked to Dylan’s disappearance and was in the area on legitimate business.

Dylan was reported missing on Monday, November 19, 2012, when Dylan’s mother, Elaine Redwine, contacted the La Plata County Sheriff’s Office at about 5:30 PM to report that Dylan was missing from his father’s home in Vallecito. Mark Redwine, Dylan’s father, had previously contacted the Bayfield Marshal’s Office on the 19th attempting to learn if they had seen Dylan, and he then contacted Elaine asking if she had heard from Dylan.

Elaine Redwine, Dylan’s brother Cory Redwine, and Elaine’s fiancé Mike Hall remained in the Colorado Springs area when Dylan flew to Durango by himself on November 18th for a Court ordered visit with Mark Redwine for the Thanksgiving holiday. Elaine, Cory and Mike were still in the Colorado Springs area when Mark sent the message to Elaine the following afternoon asking about Dylan. Shortly after receiving Mark’s inquiry, Elaine, Cory and Mike traveled to Durango.

Investigators learned that Mark met Dylan at the Durango-La Plata County Airport at about 5:45 PM Sunday, November 18th. Investigators confirmed that Dylan arrived at Mark’s home on Sunday at about 8:00 PM after stops at Wal-Mart and McDonald’s in Durango.
[SEE PAGE TWO]

[PAGE TWO] LPCSO Update on Investigation of Disappearance of Dylan Redwine

Investigators learned that Mark has said he last saw Dylan at around 7:30 AM Monday, November 19, 2012 at his home in Vallecito when Mark left for Durango to run errands. Investigators have also learned Mark returned home at about 11:30 AM and discovered that Dylan was gone.

Mark’s and Dylan’s interactions and activities within the community on November 18th and 19th, as well as tips related to persons, locations and sightings remain under investigation.

Investigators are reviewing recent information including tips, interviews, and reports generated since last November, seeking links that may be helpful as they plan and conduct future searches and interviews, and determine additional evidence analysis needs.

Investigators continue to seek information and evidence from the public to determine whether something happened to Dylan at the home or whether he somehow left the home and something happened to him away from the home.

Investigators are asking for information from anyone who may have been at their Vallecito homes or traveling in Vallecito on CR 500 or CR 501 between 7:00 PM Sunday, November 18th and 7:00 PM on Monday, November 19th.

If citizens feel they saw or heard any activity during this time frame that was not normal for their neighborhood they are asked to call the local Dylan Tip Line (970-382-7511) to leave a message and contact information. The Dylan Tip Line is checked frequently by Investigators.

Anonymous tips can be left with Durango-La Plata Crime Stoppers (970-247-1112). Persons can also call the hotline for the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children at 1-800-THE LOST (1-800-843-5678). A reward for finding Dylan is in excess of $50,000.00.

End Release. DLB

We may need to delve into this more. Logically speaking you would think that regardless of age that all violent sex offenders would have to register, isn't that the premise behind the whole registration process? Is it because SO are known to repeat their crimes and their sexual preference is not curable? I have never fully ever thought to consider why it has to public knowledge as to where a SO lives other than we need to know, but in thinking about it in depth it seems there could be many, many reasons why.

BBM - premise is the key word, look at Phillip Garrido. Ikes. Why can't criminals just follow the dang rules and register!

Personally, I don't see even a shred of a clue that points to anything other than MR having involvement in Dylan's disappearance, unless you discount LE on what they have already investigated like sightings, run away, the guy looking for a rental & RSOs. I am not following why anyone would discount LE?

So the press release above is very interesting to me and has a lot of info. It reiterates that the postal worker did not see Dylan. it confirms that it was Elaine who made the initial report that Dylan was missing. It rules out that ER, CR, and MH somehow managed to sneak away and abduct Dylan, as they were where they said they were. It also says they have confirmed that Dylan made it to MR's that night. I also find it interesting that they are looking at the activities and interactions of MR and Dylan. I'm especially interested in "interactions".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Melladanielle