Identified! CO - Fort Lupton, WhtMale 45-65, UP58690, "CO Div of Water Resources" hat, wallet, rubber chicken, Toyota key, Dec'18 - Douglas Wayne Jackson

YaYa_521

Retired WS Staff
Reaction score
The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)
*11 IMAGES*

Original
Original
Original

NamUs #UP58690
NamUs Case Created July 13, 2019
ME/C Case Number 18ME00628
Male, White / Caucasian
Date Body Found December 7, 2018
Estimated Year of Death--
Estimated PMI--
Inventory of Remains--
Condition of Remains Not recognizable - Near complete or complete skeleton
Location Found Fort Lupton, Colorado
Estimated Age Range 45-65 Years
Height 5' 5"-6' 0"(65-72 inches) , Estimated
Weight Cannot Estimate
Hair Color Brown
Eye Color Unknown

Accessories - Colorado Division of Water Resources baseball hat - On the Body

Accessories - A black and white, heart-shaped stone charm approximately 1 inch in diameter - A 1/2 inch long rubber chicken - A black, 2004 or older Toyota car key in a black, Swiss Gear wallet - A Buck folding pocket knife - A Red, Ezred LED flashlight -A green, grey and orange backpack - Black and silver wire rim sunglasses - Computer cables for connecting antiquated computer equipment - On the Body

Clothing - Kirkland brand blue jeans - Black Hanes boxer briefs - Black, extra-large Paradox windbreaker jacket and pants - Gray hiking socks - On the Body

Circumstances of Recovery - The decedent's skeletonized remains were found by surveyors in a rural area near Fort Lupton, Colorado. There were multiple items found in association with the decedent: "Colorado Division of Water Resources" hat, Keen hiking boots, navy nylon jacket, navy nylon pants, Hanes boxer briefs, Kirkland brand denim jeans, leather type belt, gray socks, and a wallet. In the small pocket of the pants was a heart-shaped rock. Inside the wallet was a small yellow rubber chicken and $33.00 in cash. An orange and gray backpack recovered from the scene contained a pocket knife, mini flashlight (Patent #8,628,210 issued in 2013), and a key to a Toyota vehicle. There was a pair of sunglasses on the backpack.

Original

OK, the rubber chicken caught my attention. A strange detail. It looks like he went missing some time after 2013, based on the flashlight info. That sounds about right too, given the Kirkland jeans and Keen boots. Not sure what to make of the "antiquated" computer cables. Why take these along on a hike? I'm guessing they might have been described as antiquated, as in being from well before 2013, but there's no pictures or other info. Surely they were pre-USB, maybe VGA or something else readily recognized? Some further examples here: 10 old cables you should keep around (and 6 to toss)

Given the timing, I wonder if this was another person searching for the Forrest Fenn hidden treasure.

Looking for older men who disappeared after 2013 and had a Toyota vehicle 2004 or older, only two I found whose circumstances wouldn't disqualify them are Mark Cowardin (6'0", 52, missing from Fresno - however Mark has an obviously broken nose and I'm wondering if his nasal bones would have showed that?) and Jose Alarcon (5'7", 69, missing from Wyoming). Neither really compel me though and none are that close to Fort Lupton.

Interesting he was in such a rural area and was carrying no water bottles, drinking flasks, or even any food packets in his bag. It must've been a long hike to where he was and back.

As for the old computer cables, hmmm. An odd thing to be carrying, especially if they were the ONLY thing he was carrying in his bag. These rubber coated computer cables are quite strong and have in the past been used to strangle people on many occasions. Sad, but true. I can't else think for the life of me why you might have these and nothing else in your bag.

MOO.

The Colorado Division of Water Resources baseball cap seems conspicuous too. I wouldn't think these are widely distributed beyond its employees unless perhaps some are given away at information kiosks at community events. It could also have come from a thrift store. But it doesn't seem like a hat that most people would pick out from there versus sports or school logo caps, unless they had some affinity for the DWR.

I would think the DWR would have been queried about any missing employees. Maybe this person had some other connection to hydrology, maybe as an independent consultant or surveyor? The South Platte River is near Fort Lupton and has been a source of concern and study for many years over its use for agricultural purposes. Nebraska will spend $500M to claim South Platte River water from Colorado

The Colorado Division of Water Resources baseball cap seems conspicuous too. I wouldn't think these are widely distributed beyond its employees unless perhaps some are given away at information kiosks at community events. It could also have come from a thrift store. But it doesn't seem like a hat that most people would pick out from there versus sports or school logo caps, unless they had some affinity for the DWR.

I would think the DWR would have been queried about any missing employees. Maybe this person had some other connection to hydrology, maybe as an independent consultant or surveyor? The South Platte River is near Fort Lupton and has been a source of concern and study for many years over its use for agricultural purposes. Nebraska will spend $500M to claim South Platte River water from Colorado

Researcher from a college or university?

It’s a reach but possible? Known transient, DLC June 2013. Carries rocks with him. (Age is off from UID estimate) but has a couple of similar characteristics to the recon, minus all the facial hair. Any thoughts or feedback on him?

1655066200401.jpeg1655066230925.jpeg

Interesting he was in such a rural area and was carrying no water bottles, drinking flasks, or even any food packets in his bag. It must've been a long hike to where he was and back.

As for the old computer cables, hmmm. An odd thing to be carrying, especially if they were the ONLY thing he was carrying in his bag. These rubber coated computer cables are quite strong and have in the past been used to strangle people on many occasions. Sad, but true. I can't else think for the life of me why you might have these and nothing else in your bag.

MOO.
Good point about the lack of water bottle(s). There's not much detail on where he was found other than it was a "rural area". I looked at some hiking apps and really couldn't find any significant trails or hikes near Fort Lupton. It looks like it's mostly farms, ranches, some wooded areas near the river, plus several sand and gravel operations. It's not really wilderness. So although he had hiking boots and a small backpack, it doesn't really look like he was on a hike.

So although he had hiking boots and a small backpack, it doesn't really look like he was on a hike.
Yes!

Plus the fact he didn't have any camping equipment, not any industrial or agricultural tools with him in his bag, just a pocket knife, an LED flashlight.......and old computer cables, which let's face it, are the last thing you need in rural Colorado.

It did mention there was a wallet too, but how weird nothing in it except $33 in cash. No cards from anywhere, scraps of paper etc.

He had a car key from a Toyota car, 2004 or older, so he may have parked somewhere, but no reports of nearby abandoned cars or a car left on farm land.

That part of Colorado seems to be more flat plains, more like Nebraska just to the north, so you could hike or walk fo pleasure, but it would be flat and boring with no tree cover for shade. Pointless doing it really.

Total mystery.

Last edited:
It would be pretty common for a hiker/camper/fisherman/someone working to lock their ID in the vehicle so it wouldn't be lost by accident, whether or not they had a campsite as well. If he had walked some distance, even if the vehicle was found, it might not have been connected to him.

It would be pretty common for a hiker/camper/fisherman/someone working to lock their ID in the vehicle so it wouldn't be lost by accident, whether or not they had a campsite as well. If he had walked some distance, even if the vehicle was found, it might not have been connected to him.
I hear ya. Although he had no working tools (industrial or agricultural) with him.
That's the odd bit for me.

Above, was said;
"I looked at some hiking apps and really couldn't find any
significant trails or hikes near Fort Lupton."

I hadn't intended to comment in this thread, but
yesterday I noticed that 'Barr Lake State Park' satisfies
that hiking circumstance. I don't intend to follow this
thread, but yesterday I tentatively thought that it's
possible the deceased visited the Park, used up any
food and water (possibly purchased bottled water from
a store and drank and later disposed of empty bottle in
rubbish receptacle in Park?) and was walking back to
whereever his vehicle was parked. No information
about parking jumped out at me when I was looking
at the current day Barr Lake State Park website.
Maybe there's parking there but the guy didn't want to
risk leaving his vehicle unattended there, as opposed
to maybe parking it at some motel or RV Storage. RV
places are findable to the NW and West of Fort Lupton.
A lot of Fort Lupton surrounding rural roads appear to
have been laid out on a north/south and east/west
grid. Maybe this guy was cutting diagonally across land
between such roads.
As always, without an actual GPS of where he was
found (as opposed to some random point that the
reporting agency gives to designate 'Fort Lupton' area),
we're not going to be able to develop better theories.

Doesn't seem to be any shorthaul bus that you could
ride from the south to get you to/from Fort Lupton;
Code:
https://www.rome2rio.com/map/Denver/Fort-Lupton#r/Bus-taxi
Fort Lupton is at the southern part of Weld County,
while Barr Lake State Park is nearby at the northern
part of Adams County.

Last edited:
It’s a reach but possible? Known transient, DLC June 2013. Carries rocks with him. (Age is off from UID estimate) but has a couple of similar characteristics to the recon, minus all the facial hair. Any thoughts or feedback on him?

View attachment 349116View attachment 349117
Good suggestion. I'm leaning more toward the UID being a transient and the rocks penchant for your match suggestion seems relevant. The Toyota key, the heart shaped rock and the rubber chicken could have had sentimental value. US85 runs through Ft Lupton connecting Greeley and Denver. He might have been hitchhiking along there or had car trouble and got trapped outside by bad winter weather.

Good suggestion. I'm leaning more toward the UID being a transient and the rocks penchant for your match suggestion seems relevant. The Toyota key, the heart shaped rock and the rubber chicken could have had sentimental value. US85 runs through Ft Lupton connecting Greeley and Denver. He might have been hitchhiking along there or had car trouble and got trapped outside by bad winter weather.
Good theory and certainly not out of the questionable realm of possibilities. I went ahead and submitted to NamUs for review/comparison and have already received the confirmation email. Will monitor and check back for rule outs. There were a couple of possibilities listed above as well that should be considered for submission.

I hear ya. Although he had no working tools (industrial or agricultural) with him.
That's the odd bit for me.

True, though if he collapsed from heat or cold or illness and tried to get back to his camp, he might have left them behind or something.

Just for yucks I googled rubber chickens and found out that lots of people carry them as a good luck charm.

wrt the lack of water, i think its possible he had single-use plastic bottles and either threw them aside when he was done, or left them outside of his bag and the empty bottles blew away in some subsequent wind.
btw, this case has a bit of MSM coverage. PD has released that they believe he was a transient, and have followed up on leads based on his company hat.

PD has released that they believe he was a transient....

It does make sense. It's a good theory.
I think the articles he had on him (heart shaped rock, mini rubber chicken keychain and a Toyota key) are items that he just found and kept.
I also think the baseball cap is a thrift store purchase.

However, I would expect a transient to have more articles...sleeping bag, etc.

Perhaps he had a tent and a temporary place to live hidden in the outdoors somewhere, and he was on his way to/from there.

MOO.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bosie
Back