Found Deceased CO - Gannon Stauch, 11, Colorado Springs, El Paso County, 27 Jan 2020 **ARREST** #35

Status
Not open for further replies.
Solid write-up on today’s hearing, IMO:
LANCE BENZEL lance.benzel@gazette.com
Mar 11, 2020 Updated 6 min ago
“The parents of 11-year-old Gannon Stauch sat in a front row in court Tuesday as the stepmother accused in the missing boy’s presumed murder made a brief appearance.

The defendant, Letecia Stauch, 36, was formally charged with first-degree murder and three other counts.

She did not address the court during a roughly 15-minute hearing, but whispered several times to one of the public defenders representing her.

Nor did she look at Gannon’s parents, Albert Stauch and Landen Hiott, who sat next to each other and kept their gaze trained on the judge. Letecia Stauch’s long black hair mostly hid her profile from observers in the gallery.

The courtroom was filled to capacity, except for a front row reserved for Letecia Stauch’s supporters, which remained empty.

Fourth Judicial District Judge Gregory Werner ordered that prosecutors ‘immediately’ provide the defense with a copy of Letecia Stauch’s arrest affidavit. That document, which lays out grounds for her arrest, remains under a sealing order.

The judge said he will issue a written order later in response to a motion filed by numerous media outlets, including The Gazette, that the document be made available to the public. The prosecution said it did not object to the media request. The defense, which as [sic] asked for a gag order limiting pretrial statements in the case, has already filed a response opposing the document’s release.

More than 1,000 pages of law enforcement reports and at least 107 search warrants have been generated thus far; lead prosecutor Michael Allen also cited ’tons‘ of video footage, obtained from cell phones and other sources.

Because none of the material has been made available to the defense, the judge set an April 13 review hearing at which he will address next steps in the case. The judge could decide then whether any of the investigative materials will be publicly available under the state’s open record’s [sic] laws, or if they will be kept under seal.

At a news conference afterward, Allen didn’t rule out a potential death-penalty bid against Letecia Stauch, saying his office will evaluate both whether the case is eligible for a capitol trial and whether prosecutors will pursue one.

His comments come even as Democratic lawmakers in Colorado mull a repeal of the death penalty in Colorado.

Prosecutors filed the same four counts announced at the time of the defendant’s arrest. They are first-degree murder of a child less than 12 by one in a position of trust; child abuse resulting in death; tampering with a body; and tampering with evidence.

The ’position of trust’ element of the murder charge lowers the bar prosecutors must prove to obtain a mandatory life term in prison.

Prosecutors generally must prove that someone intended to kill and deliberated for causing someone’s death. In the case of the charge against Letecia Stauch, the prosecution need only prove that she ’knowingly’ caused the boy’s death.

The child abuse count his [sic] the second-highest charge against her, carrying a potential penalty of up to 48 years in prison.

[SBM]

She wore a lime-green jumpsuit in court Tuesday, indicating she is likely being kept separate from other inmates. Sheriff’s spokeswoman Deborah Mynatt did not return a voicemail inquiring about Letecia Stauch’s custodial arrangements.
View attachment 237934 View attachment 237935
[SBM]” (BBM)
Gannon's parents watch as stepmom appears in court on murder charge
This is worth repeating too:

"The courtroom was filled to capacity, except for a front row reserved for Letecia Stauch’s supporters, which remained empty."

I think it’s bc it was the first time the parents and family were in court and the place was painted black. It’s like they were running around with bright balloons, if that makes sense. It was out of place. With time the family will become desensitized to the process, but today wasn’t the time or place for giggles and pleasantries.

I guess we just disagree about the level of joviality. I didn't notice anything beyond a few brief polite smiles to the judge... maybe a nervous giggle or two. IMO it's a huge stretch to say they had anything like a celebratory or light-hearted attitude.

This is worth repeating too:

"The courtroom was filled to capacity, except for a front row reserved for Letecia Stauch’s supporters, which remained empty."
That’s not surprising to me. With the public outrage over this, I don’t think her family and friends would feel comfortable or safe there.

Wondering if LS was used to not having many friends, or at least, not true friends.

I do not recall her FB photos, whether or not she had many beyond those of only she and AS and the children, i.e., not many friends?

I'd bet she felt confined having to take care of his children, while placing her life on hold. I'd bet there was no "we" (as in, AS & LS) in her conversations unless it would somehow involve raising her stature in the eyes of her audience.

I think they may have a solid general area, but who knows. It all depends on if she did move that body or not.

Either way, she’s going down.

If she doesn’t want to be seen on camera, which we now know she doesn’t, do you think it’s possible she might just try changing her ‘He was abducted or ran away’ tune to something more like ‘Yeah in a fit of rage I hit him but I didn’t mean to kill him, and I got scared and waited to drive him to hospital, not realizing how bad it was until morning, and he died on the way there. Then I panicked and hid the body.’ ?

With possible blood evidence and over 1000 pages of other evidence I think they’ve got the goods and really can’t see how she can keep singing ‘runaway’ much longer. If she does it will be a slam dunk for state.

Wondering if LS was used to not having many friends, or at least, not true friends.

I do not recall her FB photos, whether or not she had many beyond those of only she and AS and the children, i.e., not many friends?

I'd bet she felt confined having to take care of his children, while placing her life on hold. I'd bet there was no "we" (as in, AS & LS) in her conversations unless it would somehow involve raising her stature in the eyes of her audience.

And I wonder if when AS called home he spent more time talking to kids than her.

If she doesn’t want to be seen on camera, which we now know she doesn’t, do you think it’s possible she might just try changing her ‘He was abducted or ran away’ tune to something more like ‘Yeah in a fit of rage I hit him but I didn’t mean to kill him, and I got scared and waited to drive him to hospital, not realizing how bad it was until morning, and he died on the way there. Then I panicked and hid the body.’ ?

With possible blood evidence and over 1000 pages of other evidence I think they’ve got the goods and really can’t see how she can keep singing ‘runaway’ much longer. If she does it will be a slam dunk for state.

I agree, I don’t think the defense will stick with the runaway theory. Not with RD’s video, and whatever other evidence they have. They’ll find a different tactic. It won’t work, but hey, they have to try.

bbm

I believe her more-recent story was "someone" took him. Remember, she stated, "LE knew about the [friend]person the first day".

That would end up falling under the same charge she’s been hit with. She screwed herself with the coverup anyways.

She’ll likely do what Patrick Frazee did, and say “it wasn’t me.”

There really isn’t any out for her that results in her leaving prison.

But that has me thinking about a defense, and I really can’t think of one. Same thing happened in the Frazee case as well.

Good.

when the prosecutor said today that he didn't want to make any deals that he was ready for court that made a huge impact to me, that means he is confident with the evidence they have and wants to see her get a guilty verdict on all charges.....when they say they don't want to make deals that means they have some very damning evidence!!!

I would venture to say she most likely didn’t have friends in CO. Didn’t they just move there in early 2019 late 2018? Hard age to move to a new state with two school age children, and a husband who travels often.

I am assuming that most of her support system is in S.C. And at this point, TS is proabably not allowed visitors yet, why come to a 10 minute hearing? Especially if it will be streamed on tv.

I bet she had a hard time keeping friends. The interview with her former coworker who went on a Disney vacation with them was pretty telling.

That would end up falling under the same charge she’s been hit with. She screwed herself with the coverup anyways.

She’ll likely do what Patrick Frazee did, and say “it wasn’t me.”

There really isn’t any out for her that results in her leaving prison.

But that has me thinking about a defense, and I really can’t think of one. Same thing happened in the Frazee case as well.

Good.

And I really no longer think there was anything accidental about it after seeing those hateful, vengeful daggers she shot him in court today.

I think they may have a solid general area, but who knows. It all depends on if she did move that body or not.

Either way, she’s going down.

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing but couldn’t get my head around why they weren’t sending out search teams that could climb mountains. But I forgot one thing, some places have snow and a lot of it, and some even still in March, I guess. That makes perfect sense. Wait for snow to melt, then run drones and other aerial recon over it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
knownstranger07