Found Deceased CO - Gannon Stauch, 11, Colorado Springs, El Paso County, 27 Jan 2020 *Arrest* #49

Discussion in 'Located Persons Discussion' started by imstilla.grandma, Jan 28, 2020.

1. NCWatcher

NCWatcher Well-Known Member

While I obviously don't know what the evaluators at Pueblo saw, and competency to proceed usually isn't a very high bar to clear, her letter to the judge hardly speaks to her competency IMO! (And not for reasons LS might imagine!)

While we all want justice, it's only been 9 months since the crime. The fact the trial hasn't yet started doesn't seem especially slow to me, especially given COVID issues.

Maybe CO usually has more of a rocket docket though.

JMO

2. Seattle1

Seattle1 #LiveLikeLizzy

Covid excluded, my experience with Colorado is definitely rocket docket (i.e., Watts and Berreth cases)!

3. mrazda71

mrazda71 Had more TO's than hot dinners!

Surely what we want is firm justice not swift justice?

4. crhedBngr

crhedBngr Attempting to Keep Calm and Carry On.

Yes, indeedy!

JMVHO.

5. crhedBngr

. . . and, this a.m.'s goodies.

donutsPinkBackground.jpg

6. Seattle1

Seattle1 #LiveLikeLizzy

Update on the health of the El Paso County Jail

Lance Benzel@lancebenzel

BREAKING: COVID-19 Outbreak at El Paso County jail has swelled w/ 72 inmates testing positive, and more expected to test positive as jail moves to test all inmates and staff in facility, El Paso County Sheriff's Office confirms.

2:33 PM · Oct 29, 2020

Replying to
    @lancebenzel
    "The threat of further infection will continue to increase over the next several weeks," sheriff's statement warns. So far, no inmates have required hospitalization. All being treated by jail medical contractors.
    @csgazette

2:34 PM · Oct 29, 2020

Replying to
    @lancebenzel
    Today's jail population was 1,190, according to El Paso County booking data.

2:38 PM · Oct 29, 2020·

7. NCWatcher

Well, unless I had a "space suit" I surely wouldn't want to be about to start a competency eval at that jail!
    JMO

8. Seattle1

Seattle1 #LiveLikeLizzy

A lawyer was sanctioned by the court yesterday for refusing to show up for court -- citing his client incarcerated at the EPC high-risk COVID jail.

9. GoJacks

GoJacks Unknown Member

Frazee's old lawyer, to be exact. And honestly, don't blame him.

10. crhedBngr

11. Lovethesouth

Lovethesouth Well-Known Member

New documents on judicial site

12. NCWatcher

Thanks! They are both interesting.

13. Niner

Niner Long time Websleuther

for this one:

https://www.courts.state.co.us/userfiles/file/Court_Probation/04th_Judicial_District/El_Paso/Stauch/D22 Motion to Extend Deadline for 2nd Competency Evaluation(1).pdf

I pulled these points out of D22 Motion

10/30/20: D21 Response to People's Motion regarding the use of Video & Audio recording during a competency evaluation. D22 Motion to extend deadline to complete 2nd competency evaluation & to continue the review hearing on 11/12/20 due to COVID outbreak at the El Paso County jail. Dr. Grimmett was scheduled to a in-person competency eval of Stauch on 10/31/20, but on 10/29/20 Dr. Grimmett informed defense counsel that the jail has cancelled all in-person visitation until at least 11/30/20. Stauch is requesting an extension of time to complete 2nd competency eval. The defense requests that a review hearing be rescheduled after 12/14/20 to allow Dr. Grimmett adequate time to complete her eval.

Chocoholic, misgrn, altojack and 9 others like this.
  14. Seattle1

Seattle1 #LiveLikeLizzy

https://www.courts.state.co.us/user...e Use of Video and Audio during Comp Eval.pdf

Defense responded (D21) to Peoples motion re. use of video/audio during competency eval...

Defense objects to the use of audio/video during eval because it's not authorized by statute.

OK, so why didn't you object when the first eval ordered?

This circular argument by both sides continues to be a waste of the Court's time!

MOO

15. crhedBngr

Happy Halloween!

halloweenBatDonuts.jpg halloweenDonuts.jpg coffeeTeaExpresso.jpg

16. Niner

17. Niner

I looked up to see if they had a new court date since the defense wants more time. Only her divorce is so far listed with an added court date for it.

Date Len Name Hearing Type Case # Location Division
    3/29/21
    11:00 AM 1Hr STAUCH, LETECIA Status Conference D212020DR30309 El Paso County DIV 16-ROOM S370 (South Tower)

4/30/21
    8:45 AM 2Hr STAUCH, LETECIA Permanent Orders Hearing D212020DR30309 El Paso County DIV 16-ROOM S370 (South Tower)

link: Seventh Judicial District » Docket Search

Chocoholic, misgrn, altojack and 5 others like this.
  18. NCWatcher

Deleted by me. Accidental double post.

19. NCWatcher

I suppose it's possible the PDs haven't ever had a client undergo a competency eval that a DA wanted recorded. Obviously I don't know but I suspect that was an unusual request. Or maybe they haven't had one since the new statute re: recording sanity and diminished responsibility evals was enacted. Not that those are legitimate excuses but they could be the reasons for no initial objection. I say that partly because the judge ordered the first recording under the January 2017 (inapplicable) statute as the DA apparently had suggested applied. So maybe nobody is very familiar with the 3+ year old law. Otherwise it's still a mystery to me why they didn't object.

I don't think though that it's really fair (from a layperson's perspective) to say since the PDs initially screwed up (at least screwed up IMO) then they can't object. Their client's best interests and legal rights still have to be protected despite any mistakes they may have made.

I have no idea how the judge will rule. I did like the bluntness of one part of the defense's response. That the competency eval is not an interview to gather incriminating evidence needed to be said, especially after the state's brief. Along with citing the new statute related to trial matters for the trier of fact/jury to consider (insanity/diminished responsibility) every other statute cited by the state in its brief to justify taping seemed to be related to interrogations to gather evidence. That's not what a pre-trial competency eval is for.
    JMO

20. TwoBlueJays

TwoBlueJays Well-Known Member

Was the autopsy report ever issued? Would LS be privy to it?