Found Deceased CO - Gannon Stauch, 11, Colorado Springs, El Paso County, 27 Jan 2020 *Arrest* #49

Status
Not open for further replies.
Prosecutors say they are glad the case is moving forward, after months of delays.

“I can tell you, speaking on behalf of the community, and also family members, we want to get this case moving, and this gives us the ability to do that,” said District Attorney Dan May. “We’re approaching a year since Gannon went missing and, you know, we want to get this case moving.”
Gannon Stauch Murder: Stepmom Letecia Stauch Found Competent To Stand Trial In 2nd Evaluation

Prosecutors say they are glad the case is moving forward, after months of delays.

“I can tell you, speaking on behalf of the community, and also family members, we want to get this case moving, and this gives us the ability to do that,” said District Attorney Dan May. “We’re approaching a year since Gannon went missing and, you know, we want to get this case moving.”
Gannon Stauch Murder: Stepmom Letecia Stauch Found Competent To Stand Trial In 2nd Evaluation
I was surprised to see Dan May still referred to here as the DA since the newly elected administration [Michael Allen] was sworn in on Jan 12.

District Attorney Michael Allen says growth will be one of his challenges | FOX21 News Colorado

Jan 14, 2021

COLORADO SPRINGS — For the first time in over a decade, El Paso and Teller Counties have a new lead prosecutor after Michael Allen was elected to replace term-limited Dan May in November.

Allen had been a deputy prosecutor in the Fourth Judicial District for the nine years preceding his election where he oversaw veteran rehabilitation programs and the prosecution of some of the area’s highest profile cases, like the ongoing of Letecia Stauch, who authorities say killed her 11-year-old stepson, Gannon.

Don’t ya think he’ll be there at some point? He’s gotta still be invested.

so what exactly is going to happen in March?

The hearings came to a complete halt once there was a question of whether or not LS could participate so this case is in the early stages-- once hearings resume in March.

I think this is the last ROA of substance (5-28 to 6/23) before it became all about the evaluation. I think there are motions pending including pretrial publicity.

Evening or Weds news will probably have more details on what to expect.

https://www.courts.state.co.us/user...El_Paso/Stauch/ROA MAY 28 TO JUNE 23 2020.pdf

Unlike LS's first evaluation that was conducted in the hospital (inpatient custody), the second evaluation was completed at the EPC jail. I have no doubt that LS played to both the jail camera and her evaluator during this time which probably did not play well with her fellow inmates. I would not be surprised if there were outside threats too.

There are some good reporters on this case, and I'm sure we will learn more about this statement by the EPC Sheriff.

MOO
Re: really good reporters...
They may need advocacy though. We learned at hearing months ago that the full autopsy report had been released to the parties. CO law seems to support that autopsies including children are public record. But no peeps from media. Maybe strategic. This isn’t the fight they see themselves winning in this case. But odd. For a state with heavy freedom of information/ press advocacy.

Lance Benzel@lancebenzel

Replying to
@lancebenzel
#LeteciaStauch did not speak. She stood in a small, walled-off room at the jail, pacing and looking out a window in the door to her cell.

8:16 AM · Jan 19, 2021
That’s how she’ll spend the rest of her days. Pacing in a cell.

I think she has a few more “genius“ plans, if not escape, then simply to disrupt proceedings. The Sheriff was wise to ask for additional security. I’d like to see her tased at least once.

Last edited:
Re: really good reporters...
They may need advocacy though. We learned at hearing months ago that the full autopsy report had been released to the parties. CO law seems to support that autopsies including children are public record. But no peeps from media. Maybe strategic. This isn’t the fight they see themselves winning in this case. But odd. For a state with heavy freedom of information/ press advocacy.
Actually, I can't think of any case where a homicide autopsy was released prior to jury selection. Colorado criminal cases typically don't unseal the search warrants of a case until after a verdict.

Actually, I can't think of any case where a homicide autopsy was released prior to jury selection. Colorado criminal cases typically don't unseal the search warrants of a case until after a verdict.
Not sure what’s been released. On paper the law looks good for media. Here is one where autopsy was cited prior to arrest... not sure if released Autopsy of Colorado Springs woman leads to homicide investigation | FOX21 News Colorado
In the Gannon articles today they are not citing an autopsy but instead still quoting the arrest affidavit which predated finding the body. Remember that confusing mess of weapons and manners of death? Surely they have more info by now. That was 10 months ago. And pre body!

Thank you. I can hardly believe she actually wrote this: I used to supervise both female and male inmate work crews. I always cringed when the inmates were shackled. The handcuffing didn’t bother me so much. The shackles served to remind me no matter how the individual personality affected me, these were still inmates in a correctional facility. And there for good reason. If she was injured during transport - it was her own damn fault!

In the letter dated Aug. 12, Stauch claims she received threats in her food and has been abused at least 15 times while being transported. She says she suffered injured ribs, bumps to her head, cut ankles and wrists, and the loss of sensation in her hands.

“I’ve proven myself as a responsible citizen and should not be subjected to the cruel punishment that I receive at CJC,” Stauch wrote.
Thank you. I can hardly believe she actually wrote this: I used to supervise both female and male inmate work crews. I always cringed when the inmates were shackled. The handcuffing didn’t bother me so much. The shackles served to remind me no matter how the individual personality affected me, these were still inmates in a correctional facility. And there for good reason. If she was injured during transport - it was her own damn fault!
From your link:

In the letter dated Aug. 12, Stauch claims she received threats in her food and has been abused at least 15 times while being transported. She says she suffered injured ribs, bumps to her head, cut ankles and wrists, and the loss of sensation in her hands.

“I’ve proven myself as a responsible citizen and should not be subjected to the cruel punishment that I receive at CJC,” Stauch wrote.
LOL-- yeah.. did she say that before or after she attacked the deputy and tried to "break out" of jail with the broom ?? LMAO
BREAKING: Stepmother accused of killing stepson Gannon Stauch slips out of handcuffs, ATTACKS deputy!!!
BREAKING: Stepmother accused of killing stepson Gannon Stauch slips out of handcuffs, ATTACKS deputy [Reports] – Crime Online

Not sure what’s been released. On paper the law looks good for media. Here is one where autopsy was cited prior to arrest... not sure if released Autopsy of Colorado Springs woman leads to homicide investigation | FOX21 News Colorado
In the Gannon articles today they are not citing an autopsy but instead still quoting the arrest affidavit which predated finding the body. Remember that confusing mess of weapons and manners of death? Surely they have more info by now. That was 10 months ago. And pre body!

Perhaps I misunderstood your post. The manner and cause of death are usually not announced until completion of the autopsy and toxicology results. I consider citing the autopsy such as your example far different than releasing the report itself and/or making the document public.

Perhaps I misunderstood your post. The manner and cause of death are usually not announced until completion of the autopsy and toxicology results. I consider citing the autopsy such as your example far different than releasing the report itself and/or making the document public.
I’m not sure either. The letter of the law seems to favor release, public record, burden on others to stop it. But I have no idea about practice. The example cited above suggests at least some info released pre trial. But don’t know what’s commonplace.

Date Len Name Hearing Type Case # Location Division
3/11/21-Murder
8:30 AM 1Hr STAUCH, LETECIA Preliminary Hearing D212020CR1358 El Paso County DIV 15-ROOM S403 (South Tower)

3/11/21-Escape
8:30 AM 1Hr STAUCH, LETECIA Preliminary Hearing D212020CR3170 El Paso County DIV 15-ROOM S403 (South Tower)

3/12/21
8:30 AM 1Hr STAUCH, LETECIA Preliminary Hearing D212020CR1358 El Paso County DIV 15-ROOM S403 (South Tower)

3/12/21
8:30 AM 1Hr STAUCH, LETECIA Preliminary Hearing D212020CR3170 El Paso County DIV 15-ROOM S403 (South Tower)

3/29/210-Divorce
11:00 AM 1Hr STAUCH, LETECIA Status Conference D212020DR30309 El Paso County DIV 16-ROOM S370 (South Tower)

4/30/21
8:45 AM 2Hr STAUCH, LETECIA Permanent Orders Hearing D212020DR30309 El Paso County DIV 16-ROOM S370 (South Tower)

link: Seventh Judicial District » Docket Search

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member