CO - Gannon Stauch, 11, found deceased, Colorado Springs, El Paso County, 27 Jan 2020 *Arrest* #54

Status
Not open for further replies.
Date Len Appearance Name Hearing Type Case # Location Division
3/28/23
9:00 AM 1Hr STAUCH, LETECIA Jury Trial D212020CR1358 El Paso County DIV 15-ROOM S403 (South Tower)

3/28/23
9:00 AM 1Hr STAUCH, LETECIA Review WAppearance of Parties D212020CR3170 El Paso County DIV 15-ROOM S403 (South Tower)

link: Colorado Judicial Branch - Court Docket Search

If we ever get the total potential jurors for yesterday - I shall just post what I think it supposed to be! And correct it when we DO find out. :D

Tuesday, March 28th:
*Jury Selection continues (Day 6) & Review Hearing (escape attempt) (@ 9am MT) – CO – Gannon Stauch (11) (reported missing Jan. 27, 2020, Colorado Springs; found Mar. 17, 2020 in Pace, FL., Santa Rosa County; ID’d on June 6, 2020) – *Letecia Lynn (or Leann) Stauch (36/now 39) akas Letecia “Tecia” Lynn Hardin (maiden name) & Letecia Lynn Hunt (1st married name), Tiffany Taylor Stauch & Taylor Swift arrested (in Myrtle Beach, S.C. on 3/2/20) & advised of charges (3/5/20) & formally charged & arraigned (3/11/20) with 1st degree murder of a child under 12, child abuse resulting in death, tampering with deceased human body & tampering with physical evidence. No plea entered. Held without bond. [see below for re-filed charges]
Charged (re-filed 3/20/20) & arraigned (11/4/21) with 2 counts of 1st degree felony murder (after intent & deliberation), 2nd degree felony child abuse resulting in death, 3rd degree felony tampering with deceased human body, 6th degree felony tampering with physical evidence & 8 counts of crime of violence (special enhancer: firearm, blunt instrument, knife or sharp instrument & causing the death of Gannon). Held without bond. Plead not guilty. On 2/11/22 changed plea to not guilty by reason of insanity.
Charged (filed 5/20/20) & charged (6/5/20) with solicitation to commit escape. $2K bond. Plead not guilty.
Trial began on 3/20/23 with jury selection (could take up to 14 days). Going for 110 potential jurors who will be back in court on 4/3/23 for final jury selection. 12 jurors & 6 alternates to be picked. 3/20/23: 20 potential jurors. 3/21/23: 18 potential jurors. 3/22/23: 21 potential jurors. 3/24/23: 20 potential jurors. Total so far: 79. 3/27/23: 8 potential jurors were EXCUSED. Total so far: 71. Per Judge, each side will have 16 peremptory challenges at the final jury selection.
Trial will begin on 4/3/23 in the afternoon after final jury selection. (6 week trial). Judge Gregory Werner set 4/3/23 as the earliest date that attorneys can begin opening statements, even if jury selection is completed earlier than expected. Trial will start in afternoon after final jury selection is done.
Trial will be from 9am to 5pm on Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday & Friday each week. No Trial on Thursdays as Judge has other commitments. No trial on 5/12/23.

Case & court info from 3/2/20 to 3/20/23 & Jury Selection Day 1-4 (3/20-3/42/23) reference post #311 here:
https://www.websleuths.com/forums/t...o-county-27-jan-2020-arrest-54.670811/page-16

3/27/23 Monday, Jury Selection Day 5: Another 75 people called in to start another round of jury selection. MINUS 8 potential jurors were excused today. Total so far 71. Could have the 110 by Tuesday per Judge Werner. Not too sure of count yet!
Jury selection continues on Tuesday, 3/28/23.
Do not know if this was noted elsewhere: 3/1/23: [O-29] Order directing use of all force reasonably necessary to secure the attendance of defendant at trial by District Court Judge Gregory R. Werner.

Days 1-5

March 20 (Mon) 20 jurors

March 21 (Tues) 18 jurors

March 22 (Wed) 21 jurors

March 24 (Fri) 20 jurors

March 27 (Mon) 28 jurors

Recap Day 5 March 27, got 30 jurors only need 1 more juror. This is the most jurors kept in a day of 30. All that was needed was 31 to bring total count to 110.

However, an additional 2 more jurors were dismissed, so on March 28 we will need 3 more for a total of 110 jurors for April 3.

So today March 28 shall be last day for jury selection. Only need 3 more jurors today.

On April 3, to select jury from the group of 110.

Last edited:
Days 1-5

March 20 (Mon) 20 jurors

March 22 (Wed) 21 jurors

March 24 (Fri) 20 jurors

March 27 (Mon) 28 jurors

Recap Day 5 March 27, got 30 jurors only need 1 more juror. This is the most jurors kept in a day of 30. All that was needed was 31 to bring total count to 110.

However, an additional 2 more jurors were dismissed, so on March 28 we will need 3 more for a total of 110 jurors for April 3.

So today March 28 shall be last day for jury selection. Only need 3 more jurors today.

Thanks!!! Glad to know there is ONLY 3 more to pick! I shall correct my notes... :)

Anyone who has been listening to jury selection daily is familiar with the process as noted below.

Additionally, without going into further details one juror was granted dismissal during yesterday’s (Day 5) jury selection because of “autopsy photos are pretty bad.”

The Juror Selection Process, or "Voir Dire"

Just because you qualify to be a juror and are summoned for jury selection, doesn't mean that you will be selected to be a juror on a case. The process of "Voir Dire", the actual act of jury selection, is how judges, defense attorneys, and prosecutors actually choose the individuals who will sit on the juries for upcoming criminal and civil cases.

During the voir dire process, each lawyer will ask the pool of potential jurors a series of questions about their background, beliefs, prejudices, or relationships with any party to the case. While the goal is to select an impartial jury to render a verdict, each attorney will also seek to exclude any jurors who seem to be more likely to vote against their client's interests. While jury candidates are instructed to be open and truthful when answering such questions, the juror selection process is also where most individuals who don't wish to serve on a trial find a way to be excused from further juror duties.

Days 1-5

March 20 (Mon) 20 jurors

March 22 (Wed) 21 jurors

March 24 (Fri) 20 jurors

March 27 (Mon) 28 jurors

WOW! That was fast! JMO

Judge advising the prosecution and defense will now give mini-opening sentences.
I forgot there’s a female DDA on the team and when she started speaking I thought a potential Juror was reading from a prepared statement!
( I’m trying to multitask and listen lol)
Sure wish we had a reporter live-tweeter there today!

And iron pants LS still does not need to make a sissy. :eek: She's just gonna sit it out. Remembering when she refused to attend court-- citing a lack of toilet paper. MOO

Bbm Does that mean go pee?

Sorry, Im not aware of this issue as I joined the thread not long ago
But...
"Sitting it out" is not healthy :)

What a strange issue!

JMO

I bet the judge and the lawyers won't be eating a Denver omelette for a good long while after this :rolleyes:
???

Court in recess for lunch until 1 pm MST.
So no potential jurors picked in the morning? Or did the prosecutor & defense just give a mini opening statements? They only need 3 more according to my total.
TIA! :)

???

So no potential jurors picked in the morning? Or did the prosecutor & defense just give a mini opening statements? They only need 3 more according to my total.
Judge Werner has a process in place and not changing it today to select a handful of jurors. However, unlike previous days, the court dismissed many this morning for not being able to hear others in the courtroom. There was no hesitation! MOO

???

Wish I could do it Justice, but I’ll try.
Every day Judge makes the same consistent analogy to the Jurors. I believe he’s explaining how the State must prove all elements of their charges for the crimes.
He likens it to making a Denver omelette— if you don’t add all the elements including onions and green peppers— then you don’t end up with a Denver omelette- instead what you have is a ham and cheese omelette.

Or something like that. ;)
Now I’m hungry!

Wish I could do it Justice, but I’ll try.
Every day Judge makes the same consistent analogy to the Jurors. I believe he’s explaining how the State must prove all elements of their charges for the crimes.
He likens it to making a Denver omelette— if you don’t add all the elements including onions and green peppers— then you don’t end up with a Denver omelette- instead what you have is a ham and cheese omelette.

Or something like that. ;)
Now I’m hungry!

Oh - that sounds good for my breakfast tomorrow! And thank you for the explanation about the Denver omelette comment above! :D

Judge is concerned with one juror's oxygen tank (or portable compressor charge) running out. They had mentioned a 5 hr. limit, so Judge wanted to know if they were doing okay.

Yes, I'm listening again today. Sound is clearer too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brew23p