CO CO - Garfield Co, WhtMale 35-65, 789UMCO, skeletal in tent, Sep'04

Definitely some similarities, but I wonder if he had any connections to Colorado? If he wanted to commit suicide in the woods there are plenty of remote wooded areas in Wisconsin.
So many Military bases in Colorado..Maybe stationed at some point in Colorado?

It's very odd (to me anyway) that he wrote in his journal that he was expecting to be found.

I think that's very hopeful of him considering how rural and remote the wilderness was!

It's very odd (to me anyway) that he wrote in his journal that he was expecting to be found.

I think that's very hopeful of him considering how rural and remote the wilderness was!
Yes, that's a good point. It makes me wonder if there were people who would miss him and notice he hadn't returned from a camping/hiking trip. Maybe by the time he was found the person or persons missing him were no longer alive?

Possible match added to NAMUS today - Clinton Albert Jeter, missing from Grand Junction. Not sure about the timeline.
The height looks pretty close. The timeline might be kind of tight as the date of last contact was May 2004. But since he was just now added to NamUs, that date might not be absolutely certain.

Attachments

• Clinton Jeter - Colorado.JPG
    Clinton Jeter - Colorado.JPG
    55.3 KB · Views: 15
I was looking the UID up in NamUs. There are still the same 23 exclusions and Mark Husk is not one of them. But I noticed there is another UID, just a skull, found in July 2003 a few miles away between Rifle and Silt on the Colorado River. I think this would be downstrem or downhill from Flat Top JD's camp. There was speculation earlier in this thread that FTJD may have had a companion, given the 2 cups and 3 canteens. The skull is identified as male so seems less likely it belonged to "Lib", but could it be related? The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)
I didn't see a WS thread for this second UID.
Perhaps, his companion went for help and had a misadventure?

Amazing work. Has anyone done a full youtube overview of this UID? I feel like there is enough information available -- it just needs to get out to the masses more. Someone (besides Lib) knows this man.
I've found two YouTube channels that have covered this case under the title "Flat Tops John Doe". These are Dark Curiosities and Joshua Miles, the latter of which (if I remember correctly) even quoted portions of this Websleuths thread.

But I agree that there could be more coverage. John Lordan, Danelle Hallan, Rachel Shannon, Georgia Marie, Gabulosis, Kendall Rae etc.? These are all my go-to's for true crime content.

This case is so frustrating because on the one hand, there's a lot of info—his camping equipment, his clothes, an entire letter, for crying out loud!and on the other hand, the info we have clearly hasn't been enough. But with more exposure, maybe someone will recognize something.

From @papijoe2002 's transcription , it's fairly clear to me, UID was awaiting a rescue. The writing reminds me of the wording in Geraldine Largay's notebook in the Maine case.

In a notebook entry dated 6 August 2013, two weeks after she lost her way, Largay made a desperate plea: “When you find my body, please call my husband George and my daughter Kerry,” she wrote. “It will be the greatest kindness for them to know that I am dead and where you found me – no matter how many years from now. Please find it in your heart to mail the contents of this bag to one of them.”

Other than this for wording, and the finding in a remote tent, I don't think we should at all be comparing the two situations, since GL's was quite unique, and there were some specific circumstances that rarely appear in media.

For starters, with all those games and 20 cigarette packs, UID (could we maybe given him a name?), was clearly planning to spend some time in the wilderness.

For someone with serious back problems, this guy is certainly not going ultralight! He also seems very well-prepared.

The thing is, he was found at significant altitude, and with all those cigarette packs, his lungs might not at all have been cooperative.

The find does remind me of another one, also in CO, but this one was searched for.... Here is the story. Note:

A journal and notebook found at the campsite indicated that Nelson may have been suffering from altitude sickness at the time of his disappearance, said Jessie Mosher, a spokeswoman for the Eagle County Sheriff's Office. "We have reason to believe that might have played a factor in his disappearance," she told msnbc.com on Sunday.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ignoreme123
Back