CO CO - Garfield Co, WhtMale 35-65, 789UMCO, skeletal in tent, Sep'04

First, I have to say what an amazing job you all have done deciphering the letter. The amount of dedication and time spent on this thread is impressive. Nice job!
Second, after reading this entire thread, I thought it was really strange the Tylenol bottle did not render much discussion. (If I missed this discussion, I apologize) Anyways, it struck me that all OTC medications sold in the USA have lot numbers (for the purpose of recalls etc) as well as expiration dates stamped on the bottle. I would think going off the expiration date vs how long the shelf life is for Tylenol, you could get a good estimate on when the pills were purchased which could also help narrow down a time frame on how long the body had been there. I know my current bottles of Tylenol purchased a month ago show a 2 year expiration date. Also, the lot number may show where that batch of Tylenol was distributed/purchased. Does anyone know if this was checked into? looking at the photos of items collected, the Tylenol bottle seemed to be in relatively good condition. :)

This is the first time I've seen this case and I have been trying to decipher the notebook. I think I have a pretty good portion of that first page figured out but the other pages are so stained and torn that I can't really make sense of the words. On the first page the second sentence I can make out part of it that says "I would like for....claim the body." Then on the last page he writes "Far on the East would you call her and have her sent it to you because I want it"

I wonder who he was asking to claim the body and on the last page who was her and what did he want sent? However, Far East might be a clue we know someone he knew lived in the far East but again more questions like where exactly is far East? Could be the East coast or the far East of Colorado? Way more questions than answers with this one. I wish one of the DNA projects would pick this case up he had his ending all planned out and I would like to see him get those last wishes fulfilled.

I've been staring at this word for the last few months now. If I had to choose what it mst looked like, I would have to say "A-U-L-T. Since Ault isnt a word I've always dismissed it. However a quick google reveals that "Ault" is actually a town on Colorado about 6 hours from where John Doe was found. Is he asking to be buried in Ault????

Pool. I
Liverpool
Ginger Stoli

I am just catching up on this thread and admittedly haven't read every post yet, but while the physical description could be very close to Mark Husk, I'm wondering if the decomposition and degradation of Flat Top's remains could happen in just a year?

From what I've seen the best guess the investigator's have come up with is that he may have been deceased from between 1999 (the most recent date on the currency found with him) to September 2004 when he was located. Mark Husk was last known to be home October 2003 and then reported missing in November 2003. So, for Flat Top to be Mark Husk, we would need more indication that he had actually only been deceased for a year or less.

Also I've seen conversation about there being a relation to Australia. He had at the very least an outer bag from a piece of camping equipment (undetermined if it matched any camping equipment found or if the bag was just being used to contain other things) made by the now defunct camping company DMH Outdoors. Their logo has changed multiple times, sometimes listing "DMH Australia" as seen on the object UID had with him upon discovery, and sometimes listed as "DMH Outdoors". I cannot find any evidence that they distributed or sold outside of Australia. Of course people move and bring things with them and then donate them to thrift stores where they are resold etc so UID could have gotten this item outside of Australia, but that is a more rare path. From what I can tell, the bag says "DMH Australia Standard Long" which would be a self-inflating base mat. Odd that this item wasn't listed by investigators as being found at the campsite, but as other's have shared, he could have just been using the outer bag as a bag only and didn't have the actual item it contained with him, or it may have been stolen at some point before discovery.

Here are examples of the logo styles over time, and a listing of the base mat options from a camping catalog (camping-world-2006-equipment-guide-sa-camping-world)

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-02-15 at 12.32.35 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-02-15 at 12.32.35 PM.png
    779.7 KB · Views: 21
  • Screen Shot 2021-02-15 at 12.52.50 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-02-15 at 12.52.50 PM.png
    826.7 KB · Views: 23
I am just catching up on this thread and admittedly haven't read every post yet, but while the physical description could be very close to Mark Husk, I'm wondering if the decomposition and degradation of Flat Top's remains could happen in just a year?

From what I've seen the best guess the investigator's have come up with is that he may have been deceased from between 1999 (the most recent date on the currency found with him) to September 2004 when he was located. Mark Husk was last known to be home October 2003 and then reported missing in November 2003. So, for Flat Top to be Mark Husk, we would need more indication that he had actually only been deceased for a year or less.

Namus has the estimated date of death for "Flat Tops" as 2003 to 2004 so it matches perfectly.

Not sure if I mentioned this before but I dug deep and found this older picture of Mark Husk. It seems discouraging to see him wearing glasses as a younger man. They would clearly be prescription glasses and there were no prescription glasses found with "Flat Tops". There were only reading glasses (magnifiers). Of course there are many different things that could have happened to the precription glasses but it does make it seem a little less likely.....

Attachments

• Screenshot (33).png
    Screenshot (33).png
    403.2 KB · Views: 29
  • Mark-Husk.jpeg
    Mark-Husk.jpeg
    18 KB · Views: 28
  • Mark-Husk.jpeg
    Mark-Husk.jpeg
    18 KB · Views: 22
Not sure if I mentioned this before but I dug deep and found this older picture of Mark Husk. It seems discouraging to see him wearing glasses as a younger man. They would clearly be prescription glasses and there were no prescription glasses found with "Flat Tops". There were only reading glasses (magnifiers). Of course there are many different things that could have happened to the precription glasses but it does make it seem a little less likely.....

It might not mean anything. For one thing, people's eyes do change. When Mr. Carbuff was in high school and college, he wore glasses all the time though he only needed them for reading. When he got older, he switched to just using the inexpensive readers. And possibly he wore contact lenses. I think unless they were the hard kind, they probably wouldn't survive that long.

The images are not terrible, but I wish there were high definition scans of the three pages, front AND back..

I've been staring at this word for the last few months now. If I had to choose what it mst looked like, I would have to say "A-U-L-T. Since Ault isnt a word I've always dismissed it. However a quick google reveals that "Ault" is actually a town on Colorado about 6 hours from where John Doe was found. Is he asking to be buried in Ault????

The first letter of the word does look like his other A's, so I wouldn't rule this out.

As I'm sure you've also discovered, Ault is also a last name. Could the word before Ault be a first name?

Also I've seen conversation about there being a relation to Australia. He had at the very least an outer bag from a piece of camping equipment (undetermined if it matched any camping equipment found or if the bag was just being used to contain other things) made by the now defunct camping company DMH Outdoors. Their logo has changed multiple times, sometimes listing "DMH Australia" as seen on the object UID had with him upon discovery, and sometimes listed as "DMH Outdoors". I cannot find any evidence that they distributed or sold outside of Australia. Of course people move and bring things with them and then donate them to thrift stores where they are resold etc so UID could have gotten this item outside of Australia, but that is a more rare path. From what I can tell, the bag says "DMH Australia Standard Long" which would be a self-inflating base mat. Odd that this item wasn't listed by investigators as being found at the campsite, but as other's have shared, he could have just been using the outer bag as a bag only and didn't have the actual item it contained with him, or it may have been stolen at some point before discovery.

Here are examples of the logo styles over time, and a listing of the base mat options from a camping catalog (camping-world-2006-equipment-guide-sa-camping-world)

I was told by a friend who hikes that most of these brands can be found in used equipment shops in mountain areas of the US. Apparently a lot of people either bring their good stuff for a major hike, then sell it at consignment shop after the hike so they don't have to schlep it on the plane home (and also to recoup some money), or more frequently buy leftover stuff at the start of the trip, intending to resell it at the end. This guy's equipment sounds like the kind of stuff he might have bought just before the hike.

The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)
789UMCO

The current exclusions list:
MP37992 Victor Abeyta 05/05/1998 Mesa CO
MP13451 Jonathon Aujay 06/11/1998 Los Angeles CA
MP25653 William Brennan 05/15/1990 Garfield CO
MP19553 Paul Buckley 11/04/1998 Spokane WA
MP54202 Kieran Burke 04/05/2000 Mariposa CA
MP5085 Roderick Cate 10/14/2002 San Bernardino CA
MP7066 Robert Fisher 04/09/2001 Maricopa AZ
MP17412 Paul Hodgden 02/19/2012 Garfield CO
MP15044 Carl Jackson 09/01/2003 Mesa CO
MP21207 Jerri Lesser 05/31/1980 Garfield CO
MP25938 Bruce McAllister 06/18/1978 Arapahoe CO
MP12068 Michael McClure 11/26/1990 Summit CO
MP1316 Richard Meyer 07/29/1989 Boulder CO
MP8831 Thomas Nickel 10/29/2002 San Diego CA
MP12067 Keith Reinhard 08/07/1988 Clear Creek CO
MP55048 Walter Reinhard 09/16/2002 Tuolumne CA
MP12070 Richard Roberts 02/01/1995 Routt CO
MP25974 Robert Scott 07/30/2002 Mesa CO
MP20605 Roberto Silva-Perez 04/28/2002 Garfield CO
MP12073 Paul Skiba 02/07/1999 Grand CO
MP14944 Gerald Sollenbarger 05/26/2003 Jackson CO
MP34577 Shane Turner 05/21/1997 Mesa CO
MP25986 Larry Watts 06/16/1997 Mesa CO

It would be nice for this case to be solved. Whoever ''Lib'' was if she is still living she should know about the letter addressed to her. So they don't have DNA on this guy? Without reading the entire thread again, from what I recall it doesn't seem so. I know the Doe Network says that there is no DNA for him. Why?

Last edited:
I have not finished reading the thread but the cigarettes had me thinking . ( I don’t know if this has been discussed if so sorry) ok He had 20 packs. 10 packs come in a carton . So he had 2 cartons worth.

Was there any mention of cigarette packs that were opened and looked like cigarettes were smoked from the pack?

If all the 20 packs were there unopened he had to have an opened pack. ( Iam a smoker.. I would not be sitting in the mountains alone w 20 packs a bunch of lighters and Not one pack would be opened?! .. absolutely not possible..haha)

Were there cigarette butts around the area that he was found. (Unless unfiltered) A person that smokes would of left cigarette butts in the area. If not then it makes me think he was not in the mountains long. Especially if He Never opened or got to use any of the 20 packs and there was no opened pack.
The packs also have stamps you can see what state they are from. I wonder if they could tell if they were stamped in Colorado or not.

Last edited:
I do not agree that this man was well educated in a formative sense. His use of capialization is erratic and more aligned to a self- educated/taught person of intelligence but limited formal schooling - fitting to Australian working class roots.

I do not agree that this man was well educated in a formative sense. His use of capialization is erratic and more aligned to a self- educated/taught person of intelligence but limited formal schooling - fitting to Australian working class roots.

You might be right, but I manage my company's quality system, which means that the control of our documented procedures falls under my responsibility, and I can tell you that I put in multiple hours each week correcting the multiple and seemingly random grammatical errors of HS grads to PhDs.

So I don't think, personally, that we can draw much of a conclusion from this with regard to his education. That's just my opinion, though, and I could be wrong.

MOO

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TexasCuriousMynd
Back