GUILTY CO - Grandma locks 13yr old in kennel while working

Discussion in 'Recently Sentenced and Beyond' started by christine2448, May 31, 2006.

1. christine2448

christine2448 Retired WS Staff

2. Loading...

3. Jules

Jules Former Member

How incredibly sad. Wonder what happened to his parents?

4. Masissy

Masissy Former Member

Bless his sweet heart. Having to run as if on a deadline after school. Wonder where his mother and father are?

5. christine2448

The article mentions Mom and grandpa, but not dad:

The boy was living with Candelario because his mother is dead, police said. She apparently died of leukemia years ago. The grandfather also died three years ago and Candelario has been taking care of the boy ever since.

6. Jules

Jules Former Member

Thanks Christine. I didn't see the second link. :blushing:

7. christine2448

LOL....I smushed them together better, it was easy to miss :D

8. 2luvmy

2luvmy RIP Ragdoll. You don't get to choose how you're go

I don't think my kids would allow me to put them in a kennel.

9. GlitchWizard

GlitchWizard Reprobate

My kid would let me put her in one. Once. The first time she had to pee and there wasn't a place to get out, or if she noticed she couldn't reach the computer - she'd be on the phone to protective services herself upon release.

Thank GOD there wasn't a fire in that home for all those years.

10. mysteriew

mysteriew A diamond in process

His dad died in an accident in about '97, his mom died of leukemia in 2001, and his grandfather died in 2002. He had two older half brothers but they hadn't seen him since their mother died. They lived with their father, the oldest is only about 20. His mother set it up for him to live with his grandparents, they were the father's parents. The grandmother took the job at the sheriff's office about 3 year ago and worked from 4 pm to 2 am. And evidently the caging began about 3 years ago.

11. Jeana (DP)

Jeana (DP) Former Member

Poor little guy!!!

12. OneLostGrl

OneLostGrl I'm going against the grain- I'm going sane

Goodness, one of my boys is 13 and he is 2 inches taller then me (I'm 5'5") and wears a 32 inch waist.

13. Jeana (DP)

Jeana (DP) Former Member

My second son will be 13 in a couple of weeks, but he's got about 8 inches to go before he's taller than I am. :D Won't be too much longer though. I've raised my kids to be obedient, but I've also told them that they've got permission to say NO to an adult when it involves bodily harm!! Like Glitch said, I can't imagine them ever allowing this a second time. All hell would break loose.

14. Masissy

Masissy Former Member

Why can't people hire a babysitter?

15. christine2448

WHy couldn't the 13 yr old stay outta of the cage! My son will be 13 in 3 weeks and he is home sometimes alone....and he does fine. He is very mature and knows the rules. I discussed wtih DFACs before I allowed him to stay alone and they gave me guidelines and had me do a questionairre to see if he was able to handle certian situations.

I know I have told ya'll this before, in other forums when discussing childrens sizes...Robby will be 13 in June, he is 185lbs, 5'7". Much bigger than I. I don't understand while this child (not that I am blaming him at all) allowed this to happen...makes me wonder if that was not the only abuse going on....now, in the last 3 yrs, and maybe before with family?

16. Masissy

Masissy Former Member

At the age of 10 when this suppose to have started, he was too young by law to stay by himself, so that is where a babysitter comes in to play. I have a 13 year old but would never leave him alone during the hours of 4:00 pm and 3:00 am no matter what size he is. 13 is 13 no matter your height or weight and they basically all have the same maturity level.

17. Jeana (DP)

Jeana (DP) Former Member

I wouldn't either. Mine is allowed to stay for 30 minutes or less if I'm running to the store or something, but not longer than that. They can be the most mature and trustworthy of kids, but there are too many predators out there.

18. christine2448

Thanks Masissy, I forgot it started at age 10...yes, definitly too young not to have sitter.

I don't agree 13 is 13. My sons friends maturity levels are all VERY different. SOme are extremely immature and some are well beyond thier years.

And just to clarify, he could be 6 foot 2 and 225 lbs and be immature, that part I do agree with, size has nothing to do with that part of it. I was noting the size basically to say, there is no way in HELL he would let me cage him up, that is just ridiculous, which brought about my next question, was there more abuse, prior abuse, etc?

19. Jodibug

Jodibug New Member

How terrible. So hard to believe anyone could do that to a child. My kids are 12 & 13 and there is no way that they would ever be home alone after dark.

In the afternoon while I go to the grocery store, fine. Saturday afternoon while Dh and I see a matinee, ok. After dark? Never, ever.

Especially locked away where they cannot escape in case of a fire. Some people are just horrible. :(

20. christine2448

I may get blasted for this, but I can handle it, LOL..

They will eventually have to be on their own. My son is a martial arts student and I have no fear of someone trying to get him. He knows EXACTLY what to do. He has trained on how to handle any and all situations. Emotional and physical. Being a survivor myself, I was adament about him being able to deal with any kind of emotional or physical attack.

To me, that's a better answer then never leaving them alone, if they are mature enough to handle of course. They could be in the grocery store and you go down one aisle, them another, and someone try to grab them....I could list you a thousand scenarios, what makes you think you can protect them more than you can, expecially if they are bigger than you ....I don't mean you personally Jeana, just making a point...he can protect me before I can him LOL

He is never online, so no predator access there, I just cover all the bases...if someone is going to try and get him, don't think they would succeed, I really don't.

Now, don't get me wrong, if I do leave him for a couple of hours, he must not leave house, I mean, some of the other little kids just run the streets, NOT my child. He is home, inside, doors locked, alarm on, yada yada. He doesn't even ride bus to school, but if he did, the potential is there for predator to snatch him there.

Can't watch them 24/7, I encourage ALL parents to teach your kids to take care of themselves. JMO

21. Jeana (DP)

Jeana (DP) Former Member

You won't get blasted! I promise. My 19-year old sister was abducted from my mother's house in the middle of the night. There was another 19-year old abudcted while sunbathing in her mother's back yard surrounded by a 10-foot high fence. I'm sure that your son is very able and I pray to God that his talents in martial arts never have to be put to the test. However, the facts are that bad things happen every day. As a mother, I give my kids as much freedom as I feel good about. I know I can't protect them every minute of their lives, but while they're minors living in my home, I'm going to do everything I can!! ;)