CO - James Holmes Trial - *Penalty Phase* #4 - LWOP

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think there are two separate events - One today, giving the jury verdict of life or death for the 24 counts of murder, and a second later (don't think the judge set a date), for sentencing on the remaining 141 guilty counts for the wounded & explosives.

IIRC, the judge said the wounded victims could all speak if they wanted to. It may not be livestreamed, because I believe the news outlets requested permission for still photography to be published (I think they decide that on Tuesday). At least that's how I understood it.

The sentencing for the remaining charges will not be live streamed as far as I can tell. That's why the media were asking for photos.

I hope the victim addresses will be streamed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thinking back to the JA sentencing, I remember Travis' family were allowed to address the court before the sentence was passed. Is this not the same here?

Each state handles things a little differently. I'm trying to look it up.

The sentencing for the remaining charges will not be live streamed as far as I can tell. That's why the media were asking for photos.

I hope the victim addresses will be streamed.

If it's DP what's the point of other sentences. Lol.

That's what I thought, too.

That was only impact statement's from the murdered victims. The other 140+ charges have over 70 victim's that need to give their impact statements too..

This phase 2 and 3 only dealt with Death Penalty eligible charges which only this jury can decide on. This jury does not have to consider all those other guilty verdict victims..That is done by the Judge.

There's still some hearings to go. No one get excited yet lol.

If for any crazy reason this would ever get overturned on appeal (which it won't!), they have the other sentences.

Great minds think alike! We were posting the same thing at the same time!!

Will the verdict be read or televised live

Sent from my LG-H811 using Tapatalk

If it's DP what's the point of other sentences. Lol.

It's for the record as he did commit the crime and found guilty of all the crimes thus the system demands a record on sentencing for such a verdict. Of course it doesn't matter in the end..You can only put him to death once..although he could get 12 death penalty findings.

IIRC the judge has already told the jury that after their decision..ALL would be merged into one. This brings to mind ..What IF they found LWOP for say Veronica..but DP for all the others?? Sample only..Since they can't put him to death 12 times..when can't they compromise and let him off on just one??

It could be life. You just never know. Either way I respect their decision. This was a very long trial to sit through. Not as bad for us WS we get to watch in the comfort of our own homes or work, go to the bathroom, leave and eat when we want. They have a tough job.

He has those 2nd degree murders, I think 3 of them to sentence. Also, sentence on the devices in the apt. Judge will hand these out. They did not set a time to do these sentences.

That was only impact statement's from the murdered victims. The other 140+ charges have over 70 victim's that need to give their impact statements too..

This phase 2 and 3 only dealt with Death Penalty eligible charges which only this jury can decide on. This jury does not have to consider all those other guilty verdict victims..That is done by the Judge.

I agree with you - I believe that's at a separate hearing, though.
It's confusing for me - probably because there are so many victims, but I think we're on the same page here - today is just the life/death sentence for the murders.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
julandken