CO - Jessica Ridgeway, 10, Westminster, 5 Oct 2012 - #12

Status
Not open for further replies.
feeling wistful for the peaceful PNW (ignoring Gary Ridgway)

And if we're talking news in Colorado, can we go back to the fire in RMNP? Why the heck did we get a wildfire this late in the season? It started when Jessica was still missing, and I remember my boss saying maybe it was her giving a signal. But what if it was evidence burning?

I think it is a long shot, but still. We've had so many weird stories pop up this month it is unreal. 5 people killed and burned in a bar fire in an apparent murder cover? A guy driving around with his dismembered mother in the car? And apparently the reports of attempted abductions just went through the roof. This is crazy.

ok, my last post for tonight (I must add that I'm not appreciating the things moving around in the back yard due to wind. it sounds creepy).

In being concerned with our kids' safety, and with preventing these monsters from being created in the first place, my opinion is that Dr Sears' philosophy on parenting is highly valuable. mainly the part about babies' need level and temperament, and how the mother matches and responds to it or doesn't, as well as the attachment theory.

basically, if you have a highly sensitive, smart, emotional and needy baby and you let him cry it out and treat him in a way in which he feels ignored or unloved, (not picking him up, leaving him in the crib/playpen, car seat with a bottle or binky all day - 1950's Dr Spock stuff) regardless of what you think he needs or is enough, he's going to shut down emotionally and develop some negative imprints in his psyche and emotions. If you have a mellow, low needs baby and you let them cry it out they may be ok. they prob won't cry much even. If the high needs baby is not responded to the level of their needs, they may be ok if everything else goes right in their life. but if they imprinted some tripped wiring early on and then they experience abuse or other trauma during early life, there could be big problems for some of them later on. some could become nobel laureates and some psychopaths.

So the responsiveness of the mother to the child's inherent temperament and need level can set up a child for emotional happiness and being well adjusted, or can lay the foundation for some pretty messed up stuff.
there's a reason white men are usually the serial killers. most other cultures practice some form of attachment parenting and/or village parenting/extended family child rearing - co sleeping, extended nursing, baby wearing, someone always in contact with baby and meeting their needs etc.
western cultures (thanks to the victorian age) stopped treating babies like humans and more like objects that do not become whole, real human beings until they grow up, and male babies & kids were expected to be strong. (not cry, be "wimpy", needy, etc).

I just don't believe people are born like this psychotic sociopath. they are created with bad wiring. and that is dependent on negative early childhood development.

I believe people are born that way. I have an aunt with 4 boys. 3 are normal, 1 tried to kill her. They were all raised the same way.

I think they'll say the blue-eyed guy they have in custody is not the brown-eyed man being sought in the attempted lurings.

Seriously, as has been mentioned before, the police sketch is so generic that the man looks like half the people you pass on the street every day. JMO

And did I miss something? Have they said there's a connection between the attempted lurings and Jessica's case? I thought we were just speculating about that, but it seems to have become a given.

I believe people are born that way. I have an aunt with 4 boys. 3 are normal, 1 tried to kill her. They were all raised the same way.

I've read a few books on psychopathy, and most of the experts agree with you. In simplest terms, they say psychopaths are born without a conscience the way other people might be born without eyesight or hearing.

People interested in that subject should read The Psychopath Next Door, which includes a lot of the most recent research into the subject.

:eek:fftobed:

Nite folks, I'm getting up early to go cast my votes need to hit the hay. Hoping that this week will bring answers on Jessica's case. Yall rest well.

And did I miss something? Have they said there's a connection between the attempted lurings and Jessica's case? I thought we were just speculating about that, but it seems to have become a given.

No, you didn't miss anything. Per LE, there is no connection.

Quote:

Westminster police have received a large number of tips in response to a sketch put out by Arvada police in a case that is not connected to Jessica's case, Spottke said.

Read more: http://www.denverpost.com/news/ci_21773109/police-pursuing-all-tips-jessica-ridgeway-murder-case

People interested in that subject should read The Psychopath Next Door, which includes a lot of the most recent research into the subject.

Yep, that was one of the ones I read. :rocker:

ETA: Ooopsie on both of us, though, the title is the Sociopath Next Door. Author is Martha Stout.

so many people look like the candy man sketch, it's crazy. I've seen more guys who look more like the sketch than this guy in the past 2 weeks.

BUT, the Liggett guy fits the bill to me for JR. he has the look/energy of someone into dark stuff.

I'm still catching up, but I had to say that I completely agree with you. If you saw a pic of my hubby or my ex-boyfriend, you would think they were dead ringers for the sketch. It has become quite obvious to me that we can make certain details match a sketch while disregarding details that don't fit (anyone notice that, in the sketch, what would be our left ear is noticeably larger than the right?). Nothing wrong with that, it's just how we are (generally speaking) ...we try to make sense of what we are seeing. We are trying so desperately to find this killer that when we see someone's picture/mugshot we subconsciously focus on the details that match the description we have been given (i.e. sketch). IMO, no one can give such an in depth description of something (without continuously referring to said something and even then it's still subjective) to accurately depict that something.

*I am not an expert by any means. I'm in grad school specializing in child psychology, so take what I've said with as much salt as needed.

ETA: Just to clarify, I mean the average person describing someone they have seen for just a short time.

Yep, that was one of the ones I read. :rocker:

ETA: Ooopsie on both of us, though, the title is the Sociopath Next Door. Author is Martha Stout.

Double oops. I got the title wrong, but that's not the one I meant.

The Wisdom of Psychopaths, by Kevin Dutton.

I am currently reading it. The book is dead on about so many people I know. It makes me finally feel like I have been justified in my line of thinking.

Like I said, I did notice that myself, but I would have to believe they were searching for additional evidence in the culvert.

I agree NC. especially since a news report states where the body was found....which was not in the culvert.

Unless Jessica's killer is one of the subset who goes by age rather than gender. We don't have enough information to rule that out.

And there IS NOT enough information to name him as a suspect either!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member