CO - Jessica Ridgeway, 10, Westminster, 5 Oct 2012 - #21

Status
Not open for further replies.
If anyone has ever witnessed a crime or even something "hinky" going on, it can sometimes take a moment to realize and accept. Not that anyone even saw what happened to Jessica, but I believe most people don't really "see" the world around them, especially if something is out of the ordinary.

Several years ago, my grandmother and I were sitting with the new account manager at a bank, opening an account. A guy walks in with a ski mask and a gun over his head. My first thought was "wow, that's weird, I wonder if that's a costume." It literally took a few seconds to realize what was happening.

I was watching ID the other day where a guy kidnapped a young girl, right in front of her sister, just half a block from her house, and with neighbors watching. It was a reenactment of course, but it literally took only 5 seconds. The man actually grabbed the girl as she was rollerblading past his truck. He waited until she was right in front of the door, swung it open, stepped out and grabbed her and stuffed her in the truck and sped off. FIVE seconds. Her sister was watching the whole thing, and the older half-sister who was inside, ran out when the other sister screamed, and saw the truck driving away. She started yelling, "He took her!" Two men were just down the street talking, one sitting in a vehicle and the other standing to the side. The man who was standing jumped into his vehicle and tried to follow the perp's truck but the perp managed to lose him eventually.
Four eyewitnesses. Five seconds. The guy managed to evade police for quite a while before they caught up with him. He had borrowed the truck he used to kidnap the little girl, from his boss at a construction site. He cleaned and vacuumed the truck, but LE found one long blonde hair that matched the victim's under the seat.
It can happen so fast!! And people watching from a block away might not even realize what is happening.

I could see her grabbing her quickly, but I do not see how he could have hogtied her. He would have had to stop his car for at least a minute I think and I don't think he would have done it at the abduction site. I think he was extremely lucky no one rode by when he was hogtieing her. Also he apparently strangled her when driving or he claims she strangled herself in the way he tied her up. If he himself strangled I do not believe him when he says he did it in the car. It would have taken too long and he took a big risk no one saw him.

The area was not that deserted. Someone would have had to pass him somewhere along the line, he had to have had her down in the car for no one to see him. He was very lucky and JR was very unlucky,

I just saw that Tricias radio show tomorrow night willbe highlighting this case. For those that are new, Tricia is part of WS management at WS and you can listen online every Sunday night at 8 eastern. You can also sign up and do live chat during the program ( lol, suggest signing up before as takes time to go though getting it set up for some of us! )

Here's hoping I still have electricity!

It can happen so fast. I know I had no idea how fast something like that could happen until I saw a police demo back in the early 1980s.

Also, when people think of a moderate busy setting, such as Jessica's neighbourhood, I think they tend to think in terms of an even dispersal of people throughout the time given. But people don't actually act like that. Even in really busy settings, there's clumps of people and then quiet periods where there isn't anyone.

People who have worked retail can often recall this pattern. The store is empty, empty empty and then suddenly everyone and their cousin steps in. It's busy for awhile and then it can empty out again.

I think it only took a minute at most for Jessica to go from her normal morning to gone.

GPS. that's all I gotta say.

If anyone has ever witnessed a crime or even something "hinky" going on, it can sometimes take a moment to realize and accept. Not that anyone even saw what happened to Jessica, but I believe most people don't really "see" the world around them, especially if something is out of the ordinary.

Research into perception shows that what we expect to see controls what we do see. A classic demonstration of this had subjects view a video of people passing balls around and asked them to count how many times the people in white shirts passed the ball. Try it and see how you do

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vJG698U2Mvo

Did you see the gorilla? Half the people who take this test miss it.

Has anyone heard anything on how Jessica's parents are doing? I found it so brave her mom sat right behind Austin at the case. She's been to hell and back. She does have a donation button on the confirmed family website. I hope they raised enough to cover everything (including therapy).

Folks, we're closing this thread. Please move over to the new thread:

[ame="http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?p=8509364#post8509364"]New Thead[/ame]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pabo1998