GUILTY CO - Jim Price, 63, killed by texting driver, Highlands Ranch, 23 Nov 2005

Discussion in 'Recently Sentenced and Beyond' started by Casshew, Nov 27, 2005.

1. Casshew

Casshew Former Member

A 17-year-old likely will face misdemeanor charges after allegedly losing control of his car while text messaging and hitting a bicyclist.

The bicyclist, Jim R. Price of Highlands Ranch, died Friday, two days after the accident.

"We do not believe it was an intentional act, but it was inattentiveness to the roadway," said Lt. Alan Stanton, spokesman for Douglas County Sheriff's Office.

"The investigation showed that he was text-messaging on his cell phone" at the time of the accident, said Stanton.

The driver could face a charge of careless driving resulting in death, Stanton said. Under Colorado law, the teen could face up to a year in prison.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2005/11/26/national/main1075759.shtml

2. Loading...

3. IdahoMom

IdahoMom Former Member

Hi Cass! [​IMG]

I think the consequences should be steeper for this boy. That said, I see people text messaging in their cars all the time!
    I just hand my phone to my kids and dictate what I need them to send!

4. Casshew

Casshew Former Member

Me too Idaho, involuntary manslaughter or something like that.

I know he didn't mean to kill the victim, I hope he realizes how lucky he is to get off so lightly and learns from it all :slap:

5. BillyGoatGruff

BillyGoatGruff New Member

They're going to have to start heavily regulating the types of distractions in people's cars. Although IQ tests would be a good idea as well. Driving while text-messaging? He might as well have been making a sandwich or reading the newspaper.

6. mysteriew

mysteriew A diamond in process

I know a girl who claimed she routinely put on her makeup while she was driving to work! I drove part of the same route she took, and I always tried to stay a distance away from her. Though if you didn't know she did that, you couldn't tell by her driving.

7. OkieGranny

OkieGranny New Member Staff Member Forum Coordinators

From February 2006:

http://www.denverpost.com/search/ci_3482506