Found Deceased CO - Jonelle Matthews, 12, Greeley, 20 Dec 1984 *arrest 2020*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Prayers for answers in this case. I am very excited to see the Greeley Police looking at this again with new forensics tests available now and new officers to investigate. It is time that Jonelle is found and the monster that did this is behind bars. That video of the concert is going to have people talking and remembering that time era. So many students, parents, teachers etc... were there that evening.

Last edited:
Greeley police renewing efforts in case of missing girl

From the link:

A team of investigators has been sorting through every piece of evidence, every interview and every lead, and has been conducting new interviews in recent years, the department said. Now, it plans to reach out to witnesses and those who knew Jonelle, even if they have already talked with authorities, and will use new, modern scientific testing methods to explore every forensic option available. Police are also asking members of the community to come forward with any information they have on Jonelle.

In addition, Greeley police are releasing new video and images from the night of the girl’s disappearance, including photos from the choir performance.

Police said they are particularly interested in the choir activities from the evening she went missing.

Police said a person with direct knowledge of Jonelle’s disappearance may have acted strange or differently in the days and weeks afterward — actions that family, friends and coworkers may have noticed. This could include stress, depression, anxiety, an increase in drug or alcohol consumption, increased apathy toward important events, changes in appearance or hygiene, changes to a vehicle that would have been out of the ordinary and more, police said.

DEC 20, 2018
34 years after her disappearance, Jonelle Matthews remains missing
cb1689e5-6f8e-4fec-aeb3-68aa2542e396_750x422.jpg
1bcac54d-cbd7-4ff3-9367-a6806ca09db6_750x422.jpg

Jonelle Matthews vanished without a trace in 1984 from her Greeley home just a few days before Christmas. According to police at the time, the 12-year-old was dropped off on 43th Avenue Court after a choir concert around 8 p.m. on Dec. 20.

Ten years after Jonelle was last seen, both police and her family told media they were convinced Jonelle was kidnapped and murdered.

"We've never said goodbye to her and it's kind of putting a closure to it," Gloria Matthews, Jonelle's mother, said during an interview with 9NEWS in 1994. "Because most likely she is dead. Our hearts are torn in wanting to put a closure to it and yet keeping a hope. Somehow this hope, Tuesday night, I think will kind of be buried. That thread of hope, we'll bury that hope, I think.

"It's something we feel like we'd like to put some closure to and we realize we don't have complete finality - no body, no proof," Jim Matthews, Jonelle's father said at a service for his daughter in 1994. "But still we want to commit Jonelle to the Lord and say goodbye to her."

DEC 20, 2018
Police release new video of the night Jonelle Matthews disappeared

She was 12 years old when she disappeared more than 3 decades ago. Greeley Police hope fresh eyes and modern technology can help them solve a case gone cold.

FEB 4, 2019
Feb. 4 is Colorado Missing Persons Day. Do you remember these faces?
MPDay-GDT-020419-1.jpeg

Jonelle Matthews
Missing Dec. 20, 1984
About 8:30 p.m. Dec. 20, 1984, a friend’s family dropped off 12-year-old Jonelle Matthews her parents’ home. When her parents returned, Jonelle was missing.

She was last seen wearing a red blouse, dark gray sweater vest, charcoal gray skirt, light blue ski jacket and house slippers. Anyone with information regarding this case is asked to contact the Greeley Police Department: (970) 351-5100.

The front door was left open. Do we know where the footprints were exactly? I’m going to assume the father was checked out in this case....I understand why, but it’s still odd to me that the parents decided to declare her dead after 10 years...just don’t see this too often in missing children’s cases IMO.

The front door was left open. Do we know where the footprints were exactly? I’m going to assume the father was checked out in this case....I understand why, but it’s still odd to me that the parents decided to declare her dead after 10 years...just don’t see this too often in missing children’s cases IMO.
Investigators discovered footprints in the garage and in the back of the house.
198DFCO - Jonelle Renee Matthews

Police found no forced entry to the house, but there were footprints around the outside, as if someone was looking through the windows.
Jonelle Matthews disappearance anniversary: Timeline of events

There were footprints in the snow around the house.
25 years later, Jonelle Matthews disappearance still baffles

Investigators discovered footprints in the garage and in the back of the house.
198DFCO - Jonelle Renee Matthews
Wow, thank you! So, if prints in back and in garage, why front door open? Wonder if Jonelle was prone to opening the door perhaps for her parents in wait for them to come home? She let someone in and left door open? Did LE take castings of the footprints? Wonder if her siblings were questioned about the family dynamics. We know how some small town LE agencies can overlook upstanding citizens in the community especially a principal and a seemingly giving man that adopts children. Jonelle also seemed like a big girl that would make carrying her out of the house, (esp.deceased) even harder. MOO

Wow, thank you! So, if prints in back and in garage, why front door open? Wonder if Jonelle was prone to opening the door perhaps for her parents in wait for them to come home? She let someone in and left door open? Did LE take castings of the footprints? Wonder if her siblings were questioned about the family dynamics. We know how some small town LE agencies can overlook upstanding citizens in the community especially a principal and a seemingly giving man that adopts children. Jonelle also seemed like a big girl that would make carrying her out of the house, (esp.deceased) even harder. MOO
I know that when she was dropped off after the concert, the garage door was open. I haven't seen anything about the front door being open or how they tested the footprints. Sorry! MOO

ETA: This is a very good article with a lot of information: Greeley child snatched from living room after Christmas concert

I know that when she was dropped off after the concert, the garage door was open. I haven't seen anything about the front door being open or how they tested the footprints. Sorry! MOO

ETA: This is a very good article with a lot of information: Greeley child snatched from living room after Christmas concert

34 years after her disappearance, Jonelle Matthews remains missing
“When her parents came home about an hour later, Jonelle's shoes had been left behind, the front door was open and the TV was on.

She was never seen again.”

Thank you!

We know Jannelle came in, took her shoes off, ( or at least it was made to appear that way) ...if she went in through the garage what scenario would leave the front door open? I’m stuck on the door lol MOO

CO - Remains Found at Oil and Gas Site, Weld County, 24 July, 2019.

“Sheriff Steve Reams has confirmed his agency is assisting with the recovery of human remains discovered at an oil and gas site in rural Weld County.”

Snip

“The remains were discovered some time Tuesday night while workers were constructing a new pipeline at the site about a quarter of a mile northwest of the intersection of Weld County Road 49 and Weld 34 1/2. It is not yet known who operates the facility.“

Weld County Sheriff Steve Reams confirms discovery of human remains at oil and gas site

0c5cd989-f837-4420-9dd8-2ba2e19aa08d-BreakingNewsBodyDiscovered-072419-1-1024x614.jpg

Oilfield workers discovered bones in rural Weld County northwest of CR 34.5 and CR 49. Authorities are investigating the scene, pictured here Wednesday morning.
MICHAEL BRIAN/THE GREELEY TRIBUNE

—-

Weld Sheriff Steve Reams confirms discovery of human remains at oil and gas site

IMO, there’s a VERY GOOD CHANCE these remains belong to Rita Gutierrez; her brother Omar was searching in Weld County:

Deceased/Not Found - CO - Rita Gutierrez-Garcia, 34, Longmont, 18 March 2018

Gosh I hope this is Rita so her family can bring her home!!

—-

Also there’s a chance imo this could be Nicole Silvers, as Weld County Sheriff’s Dept is the LE assigned to her case. I’m hoping Nicole is still alive though:

CO - CO - Nicole Silvers, 16, Longmont, 8 April 2014

—-

There is also the obvious similarity to the Watts case as @Gardenista noted:

Gardenista said:

GUILTY - CO - Shanann Watts (34), Celeste"Cece" (3) and Bella (4), Frederick, 13 Aug 2018 *CW LWOP* #72

Last edited:
Does Anadarko own this site? If so, that has not been disclosed as of yet.

I can’t wait to get home and look at this location site more!!! I’d like to map the following distances:

A) Distance to Longmont, CO where Rita Gutierrez was last seen

B) Distance to Nicole Silver’s approx address as well as location where she was last seen

C) Distance to where Shannan, Nico, Bella and CeCe were found.

ugh! How awful.

I'll go map it now.

This is HUGE, poppyflower! Thank you!

Is this Rita, Nicole, or another victim of Christopher Watts? Or none of the above @Gardener1850 may also have some input as to who else this could be, but Rita and Nicole are the first that come to mind off the top of my head.

As we know, often when remains are found, it belongs to someone we don’t even know was missing or doesn’t have a thread here.

I’m really thinking this is Rita or Nicole!!!!!

ETA:

There are also people missing from Greeley; iirc I got a Red Plum “Have You Seen Me” just recently and I saved it. It’s on my kitchen counter, will link when I get home.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member