Found Deceased CO - Jonelle Matthews, 12, Greeley, 20 Dec 1984

Discussion in 'Located Persons Discussion' started by amber1, Dec 3, 2009.

1. neesaki

neesaki Well-Known Member

I wonder if they were able to determine shoe size from the foot prints.
    And re: the property where her remains were found, is there any way to find out who owned it back in 1984?

2. neesaki

neesaki Well-Known Member

Just watched this interview. I don’t like this guys demeanor, I don’t like his facial expression, and how he tries to make light of Jonelle’s murder by basically saying she’s just one victim out of many and then comparing it to the loss of his son. Ugh

One other thing, the first 20 seconds or so he blinks only once during when he’s talking about losing is son. When he starts claiming he didn’t know she existed or that she was missing he blinks more frequently, then not so much after he gets through that part.

Of course I’m not by no means an expert on detecting deception, not even close. But he sure makes my hinky meter go up! JMO.

I see now why he’s on LEs radar.

watcher9, Niner, Traymar and 17 others like this.
  3. ZoriahNZ

ZoriahNZ Well-Known Member

The Greeley address for SP on True people search says he resided there from Feb 1985 to 1995. So is there a different residence for 1984? Interesting that he moved in Feb not long after the abduction/murder.

4. YESorNO

YESorNO The Queen (aka "mrsmuir") SWBB

Greeley police chief speaks out about Jonelle Matthews homicide investigation (with clip)

SEPTEMBER 16, 2019

"GREELEY, Colo. -- The chief of the Greeley Police Department said the decades-old homicide investigation into the death of Jonelle Matthews is personal for him. He had been an officer for about nine months when the girl went missing.

“It’s my town. It’s my community, and it’s personal from the standpoint of obviously law enforcement wants to do everything they can to solve every case of this nature,” said Chief Mark Jones. “This one rises obviously to the top just because it has been so long, and we’ve been working on it off and on for so long.”..."

Greeley police chief speaks out about Jonelle Matthews homicide investigation

watcher9, Traymar, misgrn and 12 others like this.
  5. margarita25

margarita25 Well-Known Member

According to a video upstream, they may have attended the same church. If this is true, then how would he have not heard of her gone missing? In the video above he claims to not have known or heard of the family. I would imagine everyone in the church and community would’ve known.

Keeping a close eye here.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2019
    watcher9, Traymar, misgrn and 12 others like this.
  6. margarita25

Thinking more about this POI, I highly doubt he would be publicly named unless they had serious reason to suspect him.

With him being 68 now (iirc), this would indicate to me IMO that very likely this wouldn’t have been his only crime IF he is Jonelle’s killer.

I wonder if there are any similar cases in other areas where he has lived. I’ve posted upstream other potentially similar cases in Northern Colorado during that time.

crhedBngr, Traymar, misgrn and 12 others like this.
  7. Iamlysaloo

Iamlysaloo Active Member

I have found the address dates to be slightly inaccurate on that site. I looked myself up and it’s kinda close, but not perfect by any means.

8. Gardener1850

Gardener1850 #RememberingCupcake

BBM. Not only that-- he claims he didn't know her at all. He claims his family went out of town to visit his parents the day after Jonelle disappeared and that he only heard about Jonelle's existence, and that she had gone missing on Dec 26th, the day they returned to Greeley. Dec 26, 1984 was a Wednesday. I find it oddly specific that he says he remembers the exact day he first heard about Jonelle and her being missing. If he had nothing to do with it and didn't know her family why would he recall the date when he first heard the news? IMHO most people who are unconnected to a missing child cold case would not recall the specific day they heard on the news that the child was missing (when asked about it decades later). I could have more easily bought it if he had been vague about the date and said he didn't hear until sometime after he came back from a Christmas vacation-- but why would he recall the exact day he returned from that trip in 1984? I also wonder how large their church was in 1984 that he wouldn't have any connection to Jonelle or Jonelle's family. It's possible in a really large church but seems unlikely that he never saw her before. Church or his son's school is probably the connection. Her father was principle of an Elementary School. I wonder if SP's 5-year old son went to the same school where Jonelle's father worked?

MOO.

watcher9, Niner, Traymar and 13 others like this.
  9. margarita25

Indeed, G. See my eta above, I actually added a few minutes ago that in the video above he claims to not have known or heard of the family.

Great thoughts btw.

watcher9, Traymar, misgrn and 8 others like this.
  10. crhedBngr

crhedBngr Well-Known Member

I took a closer look at that intersection. From one of the articles linked above, there are several farm houses close to that intersection, and LE are looking at occupants in 1984.

I'll see if I can find the upstream article where it states the above. However, I've exhausted my free-article limit to the Greeley Tribune, so I may not be able to link it.

ETA: Bringing forward this post by @FragileSugar : Found Deceased - CO - Jonelle Matthews, 12, Greeley, 20 Dec 1984

watcher9, Niner, Indy Anna and 6 others like this.
  11. SAMS

SAMS TC Writer

Was it ever known exactly which coworker called the house and left a message for her dad? Was that person ever verified? Could it have been this new poi using a fake name or even someone’s name he knew of to find out if she was alone? MOO

byo, PommyMommy, Jim_M and 3 others like this.
  12. crhedBngr

Apparently, the caller was a woman, and Jonelle took the message when she was home.

Greeley child snatched from living room after Christmas concert

watcher9, neesaki, byo and 4 others like this.
  13. Gardener1850

Has anyone found any photos of SP from 1984? I wonder if he volunteered to assist with the search for Jonelle? In the video below they show historic footage of volunteers traipsing across a snow covered field (about 1:05). Although the video is blurry, there's a man that seems to smile when he sees the cameras filming him. Could that be SP? I wonder if he had to admit to finding out about Jonelle on Dec 26th because he signed in at a search and police kept tabs on those names? There is also historic video of the Matthews family in church and a wide view of the congregation is shown. Could SP be among those shown in the church?

MOO

watcher9, Traymar, MerBeach and 11 others like this.
  14. crhedBngr

The guy with a blue pullover that has beige stripes across it? He does wear glasses, like SP.

watcher9, misgrn, Indy Anna and 5 others like this.
  15. SAMS

SAMS TC Writer

watcher9, byo, PommyMommy and 2 others like this.
  16. Gardener1850

Yes, that's the one that I was looking at. It may not be him but that guy gives me a weird vibe every time I see that short clip of the volunteers. MOO.

watcher9, misgrn, Indy Anna and 7 others like this.
  17. SAMS

SAMS TC Writer

Interesting. I hadn’t seen this article before.

“Detectives learned that Jonelle had been adopted from a Los Angeles agency when she was one month old. She had talked to her friends about finding her natural parents”.

I’m not adopted so I don’t want to sound like I’m speaking from experience but isn’t it somewhat odd that she spoke to her friends about finding her natural parents at 12? How was her home life? Just making some observations. MOO

watcher9, misgrn, Indy Anna and 3 others like this.
  18. ZoriahNZ

ZoriahNZ Well-Known Member

Well, I think he's claiming he was on vacation camping for a whole week in CA, left at 5am on the 21st and didn't arrive back until the 26th. His quote was a claim that he hadn't heard about her until the 26th and that he'd never met her or the family prior to that. I agree that it seems odd considering they allegedly went to the same church and he was a youth minister there at around the same time.

ETA: Oops, saw someone already had it covered. Sorry.

watcher9, Indy Anna, byo and 4 others like this.
  19. dblsj

dblsj Active Member

If I recall correctly, I think Jonelle had just found out she was adopted. She was curious about her mother and wanted to meet her. Again, that is speaking strictly from memory.

I was not a member of Jonelle's church, but I drove past it every day. From the outside, I would guess the congregation was a few hundred people. It wasn't a mega church that you see in larger cities.

watcher9, Niner, MerBeach and 8 others like this.
  20. crhedBngr

What muddies the water for me is SP seems to go by several aliases. If you go back to 100% Free People Search - TruePeopleSearch.com and plug in his name, you'll see this.

I belong to a website that lets you search yearbooks. I'll keep looking through that, and see what I can find.

watcher9, Niner, misgrn and 11 others like this.