Found Deceased CO - Jonelle Matthews, 12, Greeley, 20 Dec 1984

Discussion in 'Located Persons Discussion' started by amber1, Dec 3, 2009.

1. dblsj

dblsj Active Member

If you want to access an article on the Tribune, let it load and then turn your phone to airplane mode before the popup about subscriptions appears. You'll be able to access the entire article.

Hazelnutty, SAMS, bluenoser and 7 others like this.
  2. crhedBngr

crhedBngr Well-Known Member

Thanks. I'm actually on my laptop as I type this. I may be able to go incognito.

3. dblsj

dblsj Active Member

I had the thought you might not be on a phone... You just need to somehow stop the internet connection.

4. crhedBngr

Incognito mode works for now, thanks.

5. Iamlysaloo

Iamlysaloo Active Member

Is this allowed. I apologize if it’s not.

Attached Files:

6. gregjrichards

gregjrichards Well-Known Member

Wow that looks like him and if it is and he committed this horrific crime it is chilling.

MerBeach, misgrn, Indy Anna and 8 others like this.
  7. neesaki

neesaki Well-Known Member

I’ve never seen this particular article but could have missed it here, as usual I’m running behind. But do we know who sent the pictures from the site to the Tribune?
    Was it LE or someone else?

Jonelle Matthews, Girl Missing Since 1984, Found Dead

8. gregjrichards

gregjrichards Well-Known Member

I don’t think that is publicly known but I found it a pretty sick and low life thing to do when I read that article at the time. I did wonder if one of the workers might have done it in the hope of making some cash. In my opinion it is unlikely someone from LE would do that.

misgrn, Jim_M, Lore Listener and 5 others like this.
  9. Renzolla

Renzolla Member

[
    This reminds me of the way Mindhunter portrayed Wayne Williams. I'm not familiar enough with that case to know how much they've fictionalized, but I wonder how much of it was inspired by actual profiling.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2019
  10. Iamlysaloo

Iamlysaloo Active Member

Is he holding a shovel? Might be an optical illusion. But if he is, I went through the video, he's the only person carrying one.

MerBeach, Hazelnutty and PommyMommy like this.
  11. crhedBngr

Looks like it could be some kind of digging implement. Not a full-sized shovel.

JMVHO.

12. PommyMommy

PommyMommy #ShinelikeShanann

SEP 18, 2019
    For 34 years, Colorado asked 'Where is Jonelle Matthews?' Now, it's 'Who killed her?'
    [...]

In the winter of 1984, Jonelle’s disappearance shook Greeley — a conservative, close-knit city set 60 miles north of Denver on Colorado's High Plains.

[...]

In March 1985 — a few months after Jonelle vanished from her family’s west Greeley home on Dec. 20 — President Ronald Reagan mentioned her in a speech to a group of Washington, D.C., newspaper editors as fear over high-profile child abductions gripped the nation.

[...]

Decades would pass without any notable progress in the search for Jonelle. As time beat on, her case grew colder, becoming the oldest unsolved missing person case in Weld County, according to the Colorado Bureau of Investigation.

“We were consigned to the fact that we were never going to find out what happened to her,” Jonelle’s father, Jim Matthews, told the Coloradoan in a recent interview.

[...]

But 34½ years later, just north of Weld County Road 34½, oil site crews digging for a pipeline on July 24 uncovered a set of human bones, including a skull with intact, braces-lined teeth — just like Jonelle’s.

[...]

In 1984, the home Gilliland has lived in since 2001 was one of only three in the immediate area, he said. Surrounded by flat farmland for decades, it would have been "essentially a no-man's land" when Jonelle went missing, he added.

[...]

Within a nine-months span of 2013, Gilliland's wife discovered two discarded dogs — an icy Akita-Labrador mix and bright white great Pyrenees mix — while driving near the site where Jonelle would ultimately be found. The family adopted both.

[...]

With the July discovery breathing new life into a decades-old mystery, the Matthews family — and Greeley — are now holding out hope for justice.

For 34½ years, they asked, "Where is Jonelle?"

Now they have a different question: "Who killed her?"

'A thousand million times'
    Gloria laughed when I asked what Jonelle was like.

[...]

Gloria recalls detailed requests from Jonelle before each of her birthdays. "I want a strawberry cake," she remembers Jonelle saying. "I want it pink."

[...]

Deanna, now 47 and living in New Jersey, met Jonelle when she moved to Greeley with her dad, Russell, and brother, Brent, in 1980. The girls went to the same elementary school and soon realized their families belonged to the same church — Greeley's Sunny View Church of The Nazarene.

"She was very friendly and just very loud," Deanna recalled. "I always say that I was very shy and she was very outgoing so I think we complimented each other well. She was really theatrical and dramatic and just the center of the room."

[...]

Because Jim was at Jennifer's high school basketball game that night and Gloria was on a plane to Los Angeles to surprise her ailing father for Christmas, Jonelle got a ride home with Deanna and her father, Russell Ross.

[...]

One month later, an advanced reporting class at Colorado State University was watching it wide-eyed.

[...]

They spent weeks traveling to and from Greeley, talking to investigators and characters in Jonelle's story. Like the police, they were giving Jonelle's disappearance a fresh look.

[...]

Within a day, the news was out, and Kim Spencer, the instructor of CSU's advanced reporting class, was texting a link to her students.

[...]

"Holy s---."

The kids
    [...]

They were hopeful — so much so that Gloria set a place for Jonelle at the table during the family's Christmas Eve dinner in case she walked through the door.

[...]

Her disappearance came just six months after the National Center for Missing & Exploited Children, or NCMEC — a first-of-its-kind national resource center dedicated to finding missing kids — was established by Congress.

[...]

Niner, Traymar, bluenoser and 12 others like this.
  13. PommyMommy

PommyMommy #ShinelikeShanann

Published on Sep 18, 2019
    Full KTVB interview with former Idaho governor candidate Steve Pankey

bluenoser, misgrn, neesaki and 7 others like this.
  14. PayrollNerd

PayrollNerd Well-Known Member

If that is him, is that the digging implement he used to bury her? That may explain the smirk on his face. She was found in a small hole right?

Hazelnutty, Iamlysaloo, byo and 2 others like this.
  15. Gardener1850

Gardener1850 #RememberingCupcake

I'm not seeing a shovel at all. Here are some additional images from the video (click each one to enlarge):

upload_2019-9-19_22-7-43.png
    upload_2019-9-19_22-6-12.png
    upload_2019-9-19_22-8-48.png

upload_2019-9-19_22-6-51.png

upload_2019-9-19_22-10-6.png

Source video:

The last one shows a shadow vaguely shaped like a spade but I believe it's simply the shadow of his hand on his pants. MOO.

MerBeach, byo, neesaki and 5 others like this.
  16. Iamlysaloo

Iamlysaloo Active Member

Could be. That’s why I said I wasn’t sure if it was an illusion. But I do see it in the last three pictures.

MerBeach, crhedBngr and Gardener1850 like this.
  17. oviedo

oviedo Well-Known Member

I keep checking to see if they have made an arrest yet - must be waiting on the DNA? analysis of his seized computers, etc? JMO

misgrn, MsArk, PommyMommy and 4 others like this.
  18. crhedBngr

Looking for that as well. Hoping to see it soon.

19. Lore Listener

Lore Listener So many crimes, so little time

So there were people he so deeply distrusted at the church that he didn't want his 5-year-old child at the church, yet he took and continued to have a leadership position as youth pastor in that church? Why, if he thought the other "trusted adults" there were such bad people?

Kicked out of the Army? Why?

I also find it interesting he, according to him, had sex with his girlfriend and then told her he was going to tell the church she had an abortion without his permission. I am not an evangelical, so correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the "sin" the abortion itself, rather than her doing so without Pankey's permission? I get the impression (MOO) that she told him she had an abortion and both the sexual assault and his threating to tell the church were his "punishment" for her doing something outside his control. Because why would he learn that she had an abortion, then have sex with her again, then threaten to tell the church? That makes no sense at all.

How does he remember this level of detail about seemingly mundane events 35 YEARS AGO? Like where his car was parked and whether the TV or radio was on a random winter's evening before a road trip? Or all those details about what happened with the leadership in the Mormon church in Idaho 30 years ago?

Somebody needs to question him on this whole thing about his son being murdered because I've read every newspaper entry about a shooting for the entire month of July, 2008, for the entire state of Arizona, and there is no mention of any shooting that fits Pankey's son, let alone a girlfriend being arrested and reaching a "deal" with police?prosecutors? as Pankey claims.

Comment posted by Pankey on Greeley Tribune article: "Without a deal this may never be resolved." Reporter questions him and he totally sidesteps the question.

He is really, really pushing to be examined (remotely) by a grand jury, "asked questions" and cleared. Very very confident in his powers of deception. He really doesn't want them searching physical evidence. He also says, "I don't think they're going to find anything." A slip? Because if there definitely wasn't anything, he would know.

He strikes me as a chameleon type with a lot of instability. Gay, "repents" and not gay, gay again, not gay again, then referring to himself as an openly gay candidate. At least two (heterosexual) marriages. Constantly moving from place to place around the country. Baptist, Nazarene, Mormon, now Baptist again... Seems like he tries to become whatever serves his purposes in the moment (MOO).

303gmf, Niner, Traymar and 19 others like this.
  20. oviedo

oviedo Well-Known Member

wow - I did not know any of this... cannot wait for the results of the search warrant - hope they are released. IMO