Found Deceased CO - Jonelle Matthews, 12, Greeley, 20 Dec 1984 *arrest 2020*

Status
Not open for further replies.
SEP 26, 2019
Colorado Cold Case (Beth Miller, Denise Davenport, Jonelle Matthews, Vicki Carpenter

Here's Beth Miller's Thread: CO - CO - Elizabeth 'Beth' Miller, 14, Idaho Springs, 16 Aug 1983

I can't find threads for Denise Davenport and Vicki Carpenter. Did you find their threads @PommyMommy ?

(If they don't have threads I can make some for them in the cold case forum)

Both are unsolved homicides from the 1980's:

Colorado Cold Case Files - Case Detail: Denise Davenport

Colorado Cold Case Files - Case Detail: Vicki Carpenter

Here's Beth Miller's Thread: CO - CO - Elizabeth 'Beth' Miller, 14, Idaho Springs, 16 Aug 1983

I can't find threads for Denise Davenport and Vicki Carpenter. Did you find their threads @PommyMommy ?

I didn't find threads for Denise or Vicki either and I had to leave earlier - still getting caught up and will make threads for them now. Thanks for the reminder and the links. :) MOO

Last edited:

Okay, here are Denise and Vicki's threads:

CO - CO - Denise Davenport, 20, Greeley, 24-Feb-1985

CO - CO - Vicki Clements Carpenter, 25, Aurora, 18 Feb 1985

ETA: I don't know why I keep putting those dashes in the date, dang it. :oops:

Still reading this myself, but there is a long form, detail- and interview-packed article in The Colorado Sun today! Can't wait to finish it and discuss with everyone. Already some new details.

After haunting Colorado for three decades, there is new hope in the Jonelle Matthews case

ETA: There is a link to a new, 5-minute interview w SP and the CS reporter in the article. New written quotes from all Matthews family members, Greeley mayor, and investigators. Also, SP says rape charges (the so-called "date rape" of the woman from his church in Greeley) were dropped after he passed a polygraph! No wonder he's so eager to take polygraphs to "prove his innocence"--it's his ace card, being able to pass them! (MOO)

Last edited:
Still reading this myself, but there is a long form, detail- and interview-packed article in The Colorado Sun today! Can't wait to finish it and discuss with everyone. Already some new details.

After haunting Colorado for three decades, there is new hope in the Jonelle Matthews case

ETA: There is a link to a new, 5-minute interview w SP and the CS reporter in the article. New written quotes from all Matthews family members, Greeley mayor, and investigators. Also, SP says rape charges (the so-called "date rape" of the woman from his church in Greeley) were dropped after he passed a polygraph! No wonder he's so eager to take polygraphs to "prove his innocence"--it's his ace card, being able to pass them! (MOO)

RBBM

SP certainly seems to think polygraphs are his ticket to innocence. However, I'm wondering if he has ever taken any polygraphs. SPs word is the only "proof" we have.

JMVHO.

RBBM

SP certainly seems to think polygraphs are his ticket to innocence. However, I'm wondering if he has ever taken any polygraphs. SPs word is the only "proof" we have.

JMVHO.

My guess is he has either taken a polygraph and lied but passed anyway or he is so confident in his ability to lie that he feels like he will be in the clear if he can take a polygraph.

Continued Summary of Long SP interview (My opinions/reactions in parentheses)

S

• Reporter asks about SP being youth minister at the church where the Matthews went and whether Jonelle was in the youth group (good question, reporter)
  • SP answers question about the youth group with: "No, no! In 1977.. now you have to keep in mind that I had left the gay lifestyle when I got kicked out of the army in 1976, then I became-- I repented for that and became the youth pastor. A girl, I was 26, a 23 year old a woman in the church who was single, her and I were dating; she was in the choir, she played the piano; we were having sex together. She got pregnant. She went to England and had an abortion and uh... she came back like a month later and er 6 weeks later and she and I had sex again and I told her I was going to tell the church that she got an abortion, you know without asking me, and the next thing I was arrested for date rape. And that was dismissed, ok. Cause I mean, frankly it was consensual. So that was 1977. So when you are a youth pastor and you get accused of date rape, I'll tell you, you are no longer youth pastor and you are not wanted in that church. So I was out of there." and then SP laughs.

• (Holy carp! Is this just a long winded way to say he wasn't youth pastor at the time when Jonelle went there? Why does he feel the need to air his dirty laundry to answer this simple question? He seems to be justifying every sordid detail of his past. I was so aghast I had to listen several times to quote it word for word above.
Usually long winded answers with way too much information are not truthful.. I think I read that somewhere. I remember skipping school and writing this long convoluted note and signing it like my mother in Jr High.. and I mean long crazy story lol.. looking back I thought yep, that was obvious, should have just said went home sick lol.

Gardener Thank you so much for going through this interview and providing summary.

One point of clarification since I was raised LDS. It would be Stake President not State President. The church organizes at the local level with a Ward, then several Wards would create a Stake, and several Stakes become a Region. So the Bishop leads the Ward he would report to the Stake President.

Yes, don't get me started on the LDS church. They have a lot of problems.

Yes, don't get me started on the LDS church. They have a lot of problems.

I grew up in a mostly LDS community and agree they but I'm impressed they did the right thing and reported him. I believe lots of churches would have considered what SP said to be clergy-penitent privilege and not felt like they should report what he said to law enforcement.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pabo1998