Found Deceased CO - Joseph Keller, 18, Antonito, 23 July 2015 - #2

I'm wondering if Joe could have went off trail (possibly to relieve himself) and was bitten by a rattlesnake? Hopefully, the coroner will be able to determine his cause of death.

So sad. Prayers to his family. Rest in peace, Joe. :rose:

I'm still new at posting here. The admin for the Find Joe Keller Facebook page said his death looks accidental. I'm including a ss of the comment with other names blacked out. If this is not OK, admins, please delete it.

I'm still new at posting here. The admin for the Find Joe Keller Facebook page said his death looks accidental. I'm including a ss of the comment with other names blacked out. If this is not OK, admins, please delete it.

Thank you so much for this - I read many of the comments and did not see that one.

"Remains found July 6 in a high mountain crevice may have ended a year long missing person case."

"A hiker reportedly discovered the remains in rugged terrain near U.S. Forest Service Road 250, about four miles west of Colorado Highway 17 on cliffs to the northwest of the Rainbow Trout Lodge ..."

Source: http://www.conejoscountycitizen.com/v2_news_articles.php?heading=0&story_id=1854&page=72

All BBM.

More than ever, this, if indeed accurate, I am convinced that Joe's death was the result of a tragic accident. I also noticed that on the official Find FB page, in reply to a comment, the page administrator stated that the spot where the remains were found was close to the area where the search had been conducted, but it was in terrain too rugged for canines (BBM), which leads me to believe that perhaps despite the searchers' best efforts, this particular sport had not been searched yet, and even if it had, the remains could have been easily missed, due to them being inside crevice. So, given the location, especially, I find it rather remarkable that Joe has been found this quickly (relatively speaking, of course :(), if ever.

I just hope that Joe did not suffer, and that it was quick :(. I feel so sad for his family (his sweet mom, especially) and friends.

"Remains found July 6 in a high mountain crevice may have ended a year long missing person case."

"A hiker reportedly discovered the remains in rugged terrain near U.S. Forest Service Road 250, about four miles west of Colorado Highway 17 on cliffs to the northwest of the Rainbow Trout Lodge ..."

Source: http://www.conejoscountycitizen.com/v2_news_articles.php?heading=0&story_id=1854&page=72

All BBM.

More than ever, this, if indeed accurate, I am convinced that Joe's death was the result of a tragic accident. I also noticed that on the official Find FB page, in reply to a comment, the page administrator stated that the spot where the remains were found was close to the area where the search had been conducted, but it was in terrain too rugged for canines (BBM), which leads me to believe that perhaps despite the searchers' best efforts, this particular sport had not been searched yet, and even if it had, the remains could have been easily missed, due to them being inside crevice. So, given the location, especially, I find it rather remarkable that Joe has been found this quickly (relatively speaking, of course :(), if ever.

I just hope that Joe did not suffer, and that it was quick :(. I feel so sad for his family (his sweet mom, especially) and friends.

I wonder why he would have gone off road into an area too rugged for canines.

This goes along with my first instinct when I heard about this case. They started their run just a few hours before sunset, so by the time it was realized that he was missing, there wasn't much time before dark to search. If Joe got lost or turned around and kept moving, there probably wasn't sufficient time to search and find him the first night. Then, look at the weather for this area in July - night time lows in th mid 40's. So, hypothermia becomes a concern for someone lost, without shelter, and only wearing running shorts. Then when researching hypothermia, the symptoms do not work well for someone who is already lost and disoriented. Then I came across info on "terminal burrowing" - a condition that occurs in about 25% of hypothermia deaths. Basically, the body is overcome by hypothermia and begins an involuntary process of seeking shelter by digging, tunneling under rocks, or crawling into tight crevices. I think, ultimately, it will be ruled that Joe simply died as a result of exposure, not one of the wilder theories that have been floated.

This is so sad. I have been following since he went missing last summer. I have always believed he slipped and fell. Of course, hypothermia is a clear concern since he was exercising, only wearing shorts...and then the night time lows would be so frigid for him :( But he could have also been lost and gone to the highest ground he could find to be able to figure out which direction the ranch is, then slip and fell into the crevice.

I feel awful for his family, but yet they do have closure. So sad for a such a lovely young man.

RIP

As I recall, his friend went looking for a route up high, to me it's likely Joe had the same impulse and then tried to find the shortest route back to the ranch rather than retrace his steps.

I live in the mountains and this happens so often, there are education campaigns to try to warn young people of the dangers of going off trail if you're not experienced and prepared. But they're so excited and having so much fun being out there exploring, they're just not thinking about the risks.

All BBM.

OMG I am just now seeing all of this! This is exactly what I wondered happened. I wondered if he went up to check out a trail where they had talked about hiking, and had wondered if he fell perhaps dizzy from altitude. Clearly there was a trail somewhere there because another hiker found him. How sad. I'm sorry it happened but happy he has been found.

With yesterday being the first "anniversary" :( of Joe's disappearance, I decided to check and see if there were any new posts on the FB page this morning. I found a post from 7 hours ago by the page admin (a reply to a question by a poster under the pinned post from July 11th), confirming that the area in which Joe's remains were found is very rugged, and that it had not been searched. This, to me, really underscores the difficulty searchers face in cases such as Joe's ....

So incredibly sad! I have also been following Joe's story from the beginning and I'm very sorry to hear this news. RIP Joe and condolences to his family and friends.

The autopsy confirms that the remains found was that of Joe Keller, only a brief statement was posted on facebook.

From the 'Find Joe Keller' Facebook page:

Find Joe Keller
1 hr

Dear friends,

The DNA results have come back and confirmed that the remains found on July 6, 2016 in the Conejos Canyon are indeed Joe. Continue to keep the Kellers in you prayers and they prepare to bring him home.

Thank you,

https://facebook.com/FindJoeKeller

So sad.
RIP Joe
Good that family can have some closure. Wonder if COD will be reported.

I'm so glad he was found. I'm sorry to the family, but I'm glad they can finally have closure.

RIP Joe.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

How very sad. I am so sorry that this young man is gone. My prayers are with his family. May he rest in peace.

I've always questioned somewhat why he didn't have his cell phone with him, as today's young generation typically take them everywhere they go. I wonder if they'll be able to determine COD. Blessings to the family, at least he was found.

There is no cellphone coverage up there.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarpSleuth
Back