CO CO - Kelsey Berreth, 29, Woodland Park, Media, Maps and Timelines *NO DISCUSSION* #2

[...]

... Sells will most likely hear statements from Berreth’s family along with others that will be pushing him to give Lee the maximum sentence allowed. Friends and family of the Idaho woman will also likely make statements that speak to the judge positively about Lee’s character.

Based on state law with the charges the district attorney’s office filed against Lee, she could receive a minimum of 18 months in a half-way house and up to a maximum of three years in a state prison.

However, due to the circumstances surrounding the case, many expect the judge to sentence the murderer’s accomplice to prison time that sits close to the maximum allowed under state law which is three years behind bars.

[...]

Couch also said that several media agencies reached out to Frazee and tried to get him to comment on his conviction. At one point, according to the commander, Frazee accepted money offered to him from a news agency.

But then, even after the media agency paid him, Frazee refused to talk to the reporters. The commander said that Frazee took the money offered to him and used it to make other phone calls and never contacted the news agency that paid him.

[...]

What in the world? And why was he allowed to do this!?!

“Before Frazee was relocated, it was reported that the inmate made an unprecedented amount of phone calls during his last days at the Teller County Jail. According to Teller County Sheriff’s Commander Greg Couch, despite several failed attempts by some to reach out to the inmate, he made over 1,500 phone calls during the week after he was convicted.

The commander said that the sheriff’s office learned about the large amount of phone calls and reported it to the district attorney’s office. However, the sheriff’s office could not release who Frazee called and do not know why the number of calls was so high.”

Stage set for Lee Sentencing | The Mountain Jackpot News

JAN 27, 2020
Kenney to be sentenced in Berreth murder case
[...]

At minimum, Kenney would get probation for her involvement. And at maximum, she could see three years behind bars.

Currently, the plea agreement is suppressed, and the charge alone carries a maximum of 18 months in prison, but the judge may consider aggravators in the case, which could bump her sentence up to three years, according to Rob McCallum with the Colorado Justice Department.

During her sentencing hearing , the court will hear about Kenney’s character and actions surrounding the murder of Berreth. In addition, prosecutors said they expect the Berreth family to deliver victim impact statements.

[...]

JAN 27, 2020
Patrick Frazee files notice to appeal life sentence for the murder of Kelsey Berreth
The man who is serving a life sentence plus 156 years for the murder of Woodland Park mother Kelsey Berreth has filed a motion to appeal his conviction.

[...]

This notice does not list Frazee’s reasons for the appeal. Those documents will likely be filed later this year.

What the notice does do is set the appeal process into motion. Frazee’s attorneys have asked for transcripts of all of Frazee’s court appearances, from motions hearings as far back as December 2018 to his trial, which lasted from Oct. 28 to Nov. 18.

[...]

JAN 27, 2020
Patrick Frazee files notice to appeal conviction for murder of fiancee Kelsey Berreth
[...]

... The Notice of Appeal was filed on Jan. 6 at the Court of Appeals in Denver, according to the clerk at the Teller County Courthouse.

[...]

The court document filed earlier this month is the first step in the appeal process.

[...]

Krystal Kenney faces sentencing Tuesday in Teller County court
[...]

Kenney faces a maximum sentence of three years if the crime is found to be aggravated, but the charge does not carry a mandatory sentence, meaning she could walk free.

News 5 will have crews at the Teller County courthouse on Tuesday to bring you the latest.

JAN 27, 2020
Krystal Lee Kenney, Patrick Frazee’s mistress, to hear sentence Tuesday
[...]

The Berreth Family will likely call in to hear the sentencing for Kenney which is expected to last at least two hours. The Berreth’s have said they have yet to see any remorse from Kenney and that she was an active participant in the crime, “all she didn’t do was swing the bat.”

[...]

Colorado Springs-based criminal defense lawyer Patrick Mika spoke with FOX21 ahead of Kenney’s sentencing:

I think under these circumstances given her role and given the incredible oppourtunity of only having a three year sentence in this case, she seriously could have been charged with conspiracy to commit murder, and, in part, may have spent 48 years of her life in prison if she were convicted, so this has really been a gift for her.

[...]

Emily Allen FOX31 on Twitter
Krystal Lee Kenney has arrived at Teller County Courthouse ahead of her 9 a.m. sentencing hearing. She helped clean up Kelsey Berreth's murder scene, then became a star witness in helping convict Patrick Frazee of killing Berreth. With plea deal, she faces up to 3 years in prison
EPYNa2wUEAU56H1.jpg
EPYNa2vVAAIDQbA.jpg

8:26 AM - 28 Jan 2020

Lance Benzel on Twitter
#KrystalLee, the Idaho nurse who helped #PatrickFrazee clean up blood-drenched crime scene after the murder of #KelseyBerreth, is due to be sentenced this morning at 9 a.m. Stay tuned for updates as they are available.@csgazette
EPYN1uSU4AEI4_n.jpg

8:28 AM - 28 Jan 2020

Ashley Franco on Twitter
We are just about to head inside for #KrystalLee sentencing. No cameras, live tweeting, or reporting from inside the courtroom... you know the drill. I’ll tweet updates as soon as I can. @KKTV11News #KelseyBerreth #KrystalLee
EPYOpaoVUAAmtgk.jpg

8:31 AM - 28 Jan 2020

Elise Schmelzer on Twitter
Back in Cripple Creek this morning for the sentencing of Krystal Lee Kenney, the Idaho nurse who helped #PatrickFrazee clean up after he murdered #KelseyBerreth. She struck a plea deal with prosecutors that means she faces a max of 3 years in prison:
8:45 AM - 28 Jan 2020

Elise Schmelzer on Twitter
Sentencing scheduled to start at 9 a.m. Not sure how long it will last. #KelseyBerreth’s family will have a chance to speak, as will Kenney and her family. Then the judge will rule.
8:46 AM - 28 Jan 2020

Josh Whitston on Twitter (Video)
#PatrickFrazee's mom is here for #KrystalLeeKenney's sentencing. Kenney faces up to 3 years as part of a plea deal for cooperating with investigators. Frazee is serving what amounts to a life sentence for killing #KelseyBerreth. @DenverChannel
9:16 AM - 28 Jan 2020

Alan Gionet on Twitter
"We did a deal with the devil," says the D.A. But without it, they may never have convicted #PatrickFrazee Krystal Lee gets sentenced today. @CBSDenver
9:59 AM - 28 Jan 2020

Krystal Lee Kenney is sentenced to 3 years

Amber Jo Cooper on Twitter
BREAKING NEWS: Krystal Lee Kenney has been sentenced to 3 years in prison for her role in the murder of Kelsey Berreth - the max allowed due to plea deal with prosecutors. #KrystalLeeKenney #KelseyBerreth #Frazee @fox21news
10:57 AM - 28 Jan 2020

Emily Allen FOX31 on Twitter
Krystal Lee Kenney sentenced to 3 years for murder of Kelsey Berreth. Kenney helped Patrick Frazee clean up murder scene, then served as star witness in his murder trial. With plea deal, she faced only 3 yrs max in prison in exchange for testimony
10:58 AM - 28 Jan 2020

Rob McCallum on Twitter
Judge Sells has sentenced Krystal Lee Kenney to 3 years in the Department of Corrections followed by 1 year mandatory parole for her role in the death of #KelseyBerreth
10:59 AM - 28 Jan 2020

Ashley Franco on Twitter
#BREAKING #KrystalLee sentenced to maximum sentence of 3 years in DOC plus 1 year mandatory parole after. @KKTV11News #KelseyBerreth #PatrickFrazee
11:00 AM - 28 Jan 2020

Jennifer Kovaleski on Twitter
A judge sentenced Idaho rodeo queen Krystal Lee Kennedy to max. sentence, 3 years in prison. “Simply saying you’re sorry is not enough.” Krystal Lee plead guilty to tampering w/ evidence after she testified against now convicted murder #patrickfrazee in death of #kelseyberreth

EPYw3x9UUAAhqLl.jpg

11:01 AM - 28 Jan 2020

Daniela Leon on Twitter
#BREAKING Krystal Lee Kenney sentenced three years in prison for the death of #KelseyBerreth.
EPYxU9pUwAERkC_.jpg

11:03 AM - 28 Jan 2020

Carol McKinley on Twitter
#KrystalLee is led from the courtroom in handcuffs, her family members somber, some sobbing. Judge Scott Sells gives her the max - 3 years in prison. Darrell Berreth makes reference to the "slick video" that was played in court showing Krystal's life including barrellracing @abc
11:02 AM - 28 Jan 2020

Allison Sylte on Twitter
Krystal Lee has been sentenced to 3 years in the DOC plus a year of mandatory parole. She told the judge sorry is not enough — and the judge agreed. This is the maximum sentence under her plea deal. #KelseyBerreth
11:04 AM - 28 Jan 2020 from Colorado, USA

Stephanie (Butzer) Rose on Twitter
Just ran out of the courtroom. Breaking: #KrystalKenney has been sentenced to 3 years in prison in connection to the #KelseyBerreth murder case. PatrickFrazee
STORY:Judge sentences Krystal Kenney to 3 years in prison
11:04 AM · Jan 28, 2020

Jessica Barreto on Twitter
#BREAKING: Krystal Kenney sentenced to maximum 3 yrs in prison with 1 yr mandatory parole.
She’s the Idaho nurse who played a key role in prosecuting Patrick Frazee, sentenced to life in prison (w/o parole +156 yrs) for the murder of #KelseyBerreth. We’re live @ noon on @KOAA.

EPYwZKuUcAAKGsP.jpg

11:06 AM - 28 Jan 2020 from Colorado, USA

Lance Benzel on Twitter
Lee, 33, offered a tearful apology in court — one that came nowhere near excusing her action, judge said, noting that she stopped to order fast food after cleaning #KelseyBerreth’s blood from walls and floor. @csgazette
11:08 AM - 28 Jan 2020

JAN 28, 2020
Judge sentences Krystal Kenney to 3 years in prison
[...]

She said she was sorry that she let her emotions and fear cloud her judgement. That she was sorry that Kelsey Berreth’s friends and family will live the rest of their lives without her. That she was sorry Kaylee, Berreth’s young daughter, will grow up without her biological mother.

“I’m sorry that I did not save Kelsey,” she said. Just before 11 a.m., Judge Scott Sells made the decision on her sentence.

“Simply saying I’m sorry is not enough,” he said.

Kenney was sentenced to three years in prison, followed by one year of mandatory parole.

[...]

JAN 28, 2020
Patrick Frazee mistress Krystal Lee sentenced
[...]

Wearing her hair in a French braid and no makeup, Krystal Jean Lee, 33, stood sniffling as Teller County District Judge Scott Sells sentenced her beyond the presumptive range, imposing the maximum under her plea agreement.

“The most important thing I have to say is how sorry I am,” Lee said through sobs, describing “nightmares” over her guilt. “I am sorry that I did not save Kelsey.”

[...]

Addressing court, Lee’s supporters described her “caring” and “empathic” – qualities they said Frazee turned against her in convincing her that Berreth was an abusive mother bound to harm the toddler daughter she shared with him.

[...]

“She made the decision to protect her own children and prayed that Patrick would not go through with it,” Suzanne Wilson of Lee’s hometown of Hansen, Idaho.

Said Shena Bingham, a family friend: “She thinks she’s a fool. I think she’s a survivor.”

[...]

“She spent hours and hours cleaning, and then she continued to clean,” said May, who grew tearful in as he lobbied for the maximum. “She got a substantial deal already.”

[...]

Eric Ross on Twitter
News 5 reporter @BarretoReports is doing a Facebook LIVE video right now to recap Krystal Lee Kenney’s sentence of 3 years in the Dept of Corrections for her role in helping convicted killer Patrick Frazee. @KOAA
11:17 AM - 28 Jan 2020

Jennifer Meckles on Twitter
Just stepped out of court. Krystal Lee got a 3 year prison sentence, 1 yr probation for her role in #KelseyBerreth murder/cleanup. About to hear from DA Dan May outside the courthouse #9News
11:22 AM - 28 Jan 2020

JAN 28, 2020
Kelsey Berreth murder case: Krystal Lee Kenney, Frazee's accomplice in murder, sentenced to 3 years
[...]

“She shouldn’t have received the plea deal that she did,” Darrell and Cheryl Berreth, wrote in a letter read aloud in court Tuesday. “She was an active participant in the murder. The only thing she didn’t do was swing the bat.”

[...]

In a brief statement in court before the sentence was decided, Kenney sobbed as she described her remorse.

“I know that saying sorry is not good enough,” Kenney said, turning to look at Berreth’s father sitting in the courtroom. “And I don’t even know what the right word would be to describe the remorse that I feel.”

Kenney’s attorney, Dru Nielsen, played a documentary-style video in which Kenney’s friends and family described the Idaho nurse as caring and driven to help others. It showed footage of Kenney riding her horses and various loved ones talking about Kenney’s love for horses, rodeo and her family.

“Throughout her life, whenever someone needed help, Krystal was there,” a narrator’s voice intoned over the video.

[...]

Ashley Franco on Twitter
DA Dan May giving a press conference now after #KrystalLee sentenced. He says this is the most emotional case he’s ever been involved in. @KKTV11News #KelseyBerreth #PatrickFrazee
EPY3BlqXUAA4AD3.jpg

11:28 AM - 28 Jan 2020

Stephanie (Butzer) Rose on Twitter
DA Dan May is holding a press conference now on the sentencing. He calls it the most emotional case he’s ever been involved in. #KrystalKenney #PatrickFrazee #KelseyBerreth Watch live: https://www.thedenverchannel.com/live3
EPY28b_U8AU9Upz.jpg

11:27 AM - 28 Jan 2020 from Colorado, USA

Carol McKinley on Twitter
DA Dan May addresses throng of reporters on one end of the street as #krystallee’s family consoles each other at the other end outside the Teller County Courthouse. ⁦@ABC
EPY3cKYUEAAuIIk.jpg
EPY3cv1UUAMVNNT.jpg

11:30 AM - 28 Jan 2020

6 On Your Side on Twitter
Minutes before she was sentenced Tuesday morning, Krystal Lee Kenney stood in front of the court and listed out apologies.
12:08 PM - 28 Jan 2020

She said she was sorry that she let her emotions and fear cloud her judgment. She said she was sorry that Kelsey Berreth's friends and family would live the rest of their lives without her.
12:08 PM - 28 Jan 2020

She said she was sorry Kaylee, Berreth's young daughter will grow up without her biological mother.
12:09 PM - 28 Jan 2020

"I'm sorry that I did not save Kelsey," she said through tears.
Just before 11 a.m. local time, Judge Scott Sells made the decision on her sentence. "Simply saying I'm sorry is not enough," he said.
12:09 PM - 28 Jan 2020

Eric Ross on Twitter (Video)
Here is video of Krystal Lee Kenney going into the transport van from the Teller County Courthouse. @KOAA
1:45 PM - 28 Jan 2020

Amber Jo Cooper on Twitter (Video)
Krystal Lee Kenney leaving the courthouse. #Frazee #KrystalLeeKenney
1:45 PM - 28 Jan 2020

Eric Ross on Twitter (Video)
The Sheriff’s deputy who took Krystal Kenney in the transport van decided to go through a side street/back alley, shielding Kenney from being seen further. @KOAA
1:46 PM - 28 Jan 2020

Judge sentences Krystal Kenney to 3 years in prison
[...]

At a news conference that followed, 4th Judicial District Attorney Dan May described how emotional he was about the case and the judge's decision.

"This is probably the most emotional case I have ever been involved in. Today certainly was no different," he said. "I have to say, as I am standing here in front of you now, I'm still feeling some of the emotions. This is just a horrible tragedy. It never had to happen. Such a nice person (Berreth) and such a nice family. It's one of the toughest cases I've ever dealt with."

[...]

Kenney will have to pay felony court costs, restitution and any surcharges should the court order her to do so as part of her plea agreement, which was unsealed Tuesday after the sentencing hearing. ...

Also included in the plea deal she signed was the following stipulation: “I agree that my plea will be final. Only the judge will have the power to reject this agreement later. Once I plead guilty in court, I will not be allowed change my mind."

[...]

Kenney was also in the video, describing how she loved her career as a nurse and helping people. She said she knows the pain she has gone through since the crime is nothing compared to what Berreth or her family went through. She said she sees things all the time that remind her of the young Woodland Park mother.

“My punishment comes every day,” she said in the video.

[...]

After the video, three women came up to speak on Kenney’s behalf.

Suzanne Wilson of Hansen, Idaho said she’s known Kenney for many years and frequently asked for her help teaching kids how to ride horses and rodeo. ...

[...]

A friend and counselor of Kenney’s walked up in front of court next and said that she has been working with Kenney in a clinical therapy setting, with Kenney as her patient. She said Kenney shows signs of anxiety, PTSD and depression, and is now fearful, hesitant and isolated. Kenney cries over Berreth and her family every night.

[...]

Sheana Bingham, who was featured in the earlier video, was also in court and described Kenney as an amazing parent, dedicated nurse and leader in her work environment.

She said Kenney has paid the price for her actions over and over again.

[...]

Then, on Dec. 22, 2018, which was the same day as Doss Aviation’s holiday party, Frazee was arrested and the Woodland Park Police Department held a press conference. Paulhamus said the staff watched it online in Berreth’s office space.

The hope they had carried for weeks was gone when the police chief said he no longer believed Berreth was alive.

“Our sister was dead. It was crushing,” Paulhamus said.

He told Judge Sells that he wants justice for Berreth, who is the real victim in this case.

[...]

Just prior to the sentencing, DA Dan May stood in front of Judge Sells and said the state acknowledged that Kenney testified truthfully in the Frazee trial, that she is remorseful for her actions and inactions, and that her friends and family all had positive things to say about her.

But they weren’t in court to sentence her based on the way she grew up or her background, May said.

[...]

Sells leaned forward in his chair and, in an abbreviated way, listed out Kenney’s involvement in the case...

“You made an ongoing multi-day effort to tamper with evidence that spanned hours and hours and hundreds of miles,” he said.

Saying she was sorry wasn’t enough, he said, and she deserved the maximum sentence.

[...]

Woodland Park Police Chief Miles De Young agreed that the three-year sentence was “inadequate” but was pleased that Judge Sells handed down the maximum sentence.

[...]

He said police are no longer searching for Berreth's remains, though they still hope to find them.

[...]

The case has taken a toll on him and all involved, he said to end the news conference, visibly holding back tears.

“I’ve gotten enough emotions as I think I can take today. It was tough on those jurors too, I know that. It was a highly-charged, emotional case for anybody in the courtroom,” May said, adding that he didn’t believe anyone understood the depravity of the murder until experts testified at Frazee’s trial.

[...]

He could face additional charges in connection to the letters he had written in prison to another inmate, asking him to kill a list of people connected to his case. That was turned over to the 18th Judicial District.

"We got a special prosecutor because I’m one of the named people in there," May said. "So, we felt that, obviously there would be a conflict of interest if my office reviewed whether charges should be filed."

[...]

JAN 28, 2020
Teller County District judge gives Krystal Jean Lee maximum sentence under plea agreement

5e30be0f93198.image.jpg
5e3078af804e5.image.jpg

[...]

The charge normally carries up to 18 months in prison. Kenney also was eligible for probation. She had been rejected for community corrections because of a “poor attitude,” according to comments in court.

[...]

Chris Paulhamus, co-worker at Doss Aviation, blamed Lee’s ruse with Berreth’s phone for creating false hopes she was still alive after her Thanksgiving Day 2018 disappearance — leading to a painful revelation when authorities announced that evidence showed she had been murdered.

“It was crushing,” Paulhamus said. “Our sister was dead.”

In a letter read by a prosecutor, Berreth’s parents, Cheryl and Darrell Berreth, said her cooperation with prosecutors was “no excuse” for a lighter sentence.

“Her excuses are invalid,” their letter said. “She chose to cover up the murder, only speaking up to help herself.

[...]

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288
Back