CO CO - Kelsey Berreth, 29, Woodland Park, Teller County, 22 Nov 2018 - #39 *ARREST*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Palmer Lake in between.

There are also quite a few back roads you can take between Woodland Park, Palmer Lake and Larkspur. Some routs are flat-landed and some are not. It's a very scenic ride using the back roads.

eta I don't think he'd have dumped KB in Palmer Lake, its rather small and surrounded by many residences and roads.

Last edited:
I'm curious as to whether baby K would recognize KK. Can you just imagine?

In no way would I ever want to test this however, let me make myself clear. Just curiosity spilling out.
Yikes! That would be quite telling if she did now wouldn't it? I sure hope not even a little :|

PommyMommy, thank you (and your minions ;) ) for all your efforts in keeping up with the news/media reports and posting them here and in the media thread. You are amazing!
You're welcome, but no way can I take all the credit. There are many members contributing to the media thread and I'd love to name them all but I'm too afraid I would leave someone out. :oops:
Noted, thanks. :p:oops: Are you thinking PF could have thrown something in a Colorado Springs dumpster on his way to visit his sister on Thanksgiving Day? We still don't know where PF was expected to be that day by his family members. Although he told CB he and KB went to Cracker Barrel, we know that is a false statement. I'm very interested to hear where his family thought he was on Thanksgiving Day (if he didn't show up to see any of them).

MOO.
Honestly, my first thought was the landfill in Colorado Springs. But that wasn't open on Thanksgiving day, right? Although he may have traveled that way the following day... I hope we learn more tomorrow about where PF was - at least on Thanksgiving day and throughout that weekend.
talking-to-god-smiley-emoticon.gif

MOO

Also where was Baby K?

Yes, that too! I can't imagine PF's mom didn't want to see her grand baby on Thanksgiving. Even though she is local and saw the child often, it is a holiday. It has always struck me as strange that KB told her mom she had plans to go out to dinner with PF and the baby, as if perhaps KB was not welcome at a Frazee family holiday gathering. I think it might have been because PF had lied to his family about his relationship with Kelsey being over. And perhaps he also lied to KB and told her he wanted to surprise her with where they would go on Thanksgiving, hence the reason she did not tell her mom where they were going. I wonder if we will learn KB rushed to the store to get ingredients to make something special for PF? A special desert, perhaps, that her mom gave her a recipe for? There is too much still unknown about this case!

MOO.

I, too, am looking forward to tomorrow and I'm curious to
hear how co-operative and honest PF's family has been in
assisting to help LE solve this crime. Seems to me there's
a lot of beneficial info they could give to help fill in the blanks.

Honestly, my first thought was the landfill in Colorado Springs. But that wasn't open on Thanksgiving day, right? Although he may have traveled that way the following day... I hope we learn more tomorrow about where PF was - at least on Thanksgiving day and throughout that weekend.
talking-to-god-smiley-emoticon.gif

MOO

Wouldn't the landfill itself have cameras at the entrances or someway to document who is dumping things there? I don't think he would go directly to the landfill but perhaps he knew of a dumpster with no cameras. Many businesses were closed on Thanksgiving Day and around meal time/football kick off time the streets of small business areas are practically deserted (at least that has been my observation in every city I have ever lived in). What better day/time to dispose of something in a dumpster unnoticed? :eek:

I do hope we learn something tomorrow. The anticipation is driving me crazy. :D

What time is court?

Whew! This is a very long article. o_O This is what is not included in the above post from the media thread:

Possible motive for Kelsey Berreth killing revealed; friends saw Patrick Frazee as doting father and hard-working rancher

[…]

Police suspect Frazee, 32, killed his fiancee Kelsey Berreth, 29, in her Woodland Park townhome on Thanksgiving Day. She was last seen publicly, just after midday Nov. 22, as she was captured shopping with the couple’s baby on surveillance video at Safeway.

[…]

After searching Berreth’s townhome and Frazee’s ranch, sheriff’s deputies booked Frazee into the Teller County jail in Divide on five felony charges, including first-degree murder and solicitation to commit murder in the first degree. He’s been on a no-bond hold.

[…]

Now he’s the key figure in a sensational murder case that has drawn national attention. Berreth’s body has not been found, and information about the case has been tightly controlled.

So it was with shock and disbelief that some in the community registered the arrest of Frazee on Dec. 21 on suspicion of murdering Berreth, the mother of the couple’s 1-year-old daughter.

A possible motive for the presumed killing was revealed in an amended complaint filed Friday in U.S. District Court in the wrongful death lawsuit brought by Berreth’s family against Frazee. In it, they claim Frazee, who had the keys to Berreth’s townhome and possession of her gun, demanded full custody of their daughter and killed her when she refused.

Frazee faces a scheduled preliminary hearing Tuesday when authorities are expected to reveal for the first time details about the charges. The arrest affidavit and other legal paperwork pertaining to the case, sealed since his arrest, could be released at the hearing, said 4th Judicial District Attorney’s Office spokeswoman Lee Richards.

[…]

‘So kind and helpful’

In the meantime, Frazee’s associates in the community say they don’t recognize the picture of a murderer that authorities have painted of him.

Frazee would respond immediately to help the Two Mile High Club in Cripple Creek, the nonprofit agency that takes care of the town’s wandering donkey herd, said club president Clinton Cline.

As a farrier, Frazee trimmed the donkeys’ hooves several times a year for the past seven years, Cline said, and was on call for burro emergencies.

“He was very concerned about the health and well-being of the donkeys,” Cline said. “When they’d get stuff stuck in their hooves from wandering around the streets, he’d take care of us.”

Frazee had a “good work ethic,” Cline said, and was “very good at his job.”

[…]

The Gazette could not confirm the custodial arrangements of the couple’s child through court documents.

Welfare check requested

The supposition of innocence held by Frazee’s friends took a jolt on Feb. 8 when an Idaho nurse pleaded guilty to tampering with evidence in Berreth’s disappearance and apparent murder.

Krystal Jean Lee Kenney, 32, of Hansen, Idaho, accepted the plea deal at her advisement hearing in exchange for her testimony against Frazee.

“I learned Patrick Frazee had committed a homicide,” Kenney testified in court, reading from a handwritten statement. Choking back tears, she admitted she moved the victim’s cellphone with the intent to impair the investigation.

The charge against Kenney is a felony that normally results in up to 18 months in prison, but no sentence will be imposed until after Frazee’s case has concluded.

Berreth’s mother, Cheryl, asked Woodland Park police to do a welfare check on Berreth 10 days after Thanksgiving, on Dec. 2, when she was unable to contact her daughter.

The following day, Woodland Park police opened a missing person case on Berreth, with Chief Miles De Young announcing on a national television network that the department was searching for her. He asked Berreth to let her family know if she had simply left the area and was safe.

Cline said that Berreth had delivered Kaylee back to Frazee on Thanksgiving, and that “Patrick had no reason to think there was anything wrong.”

The child remained with Frazee until he was arrested, and she was then taken by the state Department of Human Services. Although Frazee’s mother, Sheila, fought for temporary custody of Kaylee, a judge granted Berreth’s parents, who live in Idaho, temporary physical custody.

‘Shocking and crazy’

Alumni from Frazee’s high school class started talking about the case after the arrest.

Graf said he and Frazee didn’t hang out in the same crowd, and he didn’t even remember Frazee being in their class until another classmate mentioned it.

“We were all kind of in shock,” he said. “It’s all very shocking and crazy.”

Frazee was born in Colorado Springs, according to the county jail log. He grew up in Florissant on his family’s ranch and has headed it for years. His father is deceased; his 64-year-old mother lives on the ranch. A brother, Sean, works as a Colorado Springs police officer, and a sister, Erin, lives in Larkspur.

Dana Souligny of Colorado Springs wrote on a Facebook page about the case that her son’s girlfriend grew up as an acquaintance of Frazee.

“She says he’s a great guy, and no one has a bad word to say about him,” Souligny said.

One expert cautioned that abusers aren’t easily identified based on their reputations among friends and co-workers.

When it comes to domestic violence, appearances can be deceiving, said Sherrylynn Boyles, executive director of TESSA, the Colorado Springs domestic violence prevention organization, which serves thousands of victims annually. It’s hardly uncommon for perpetrators to be outwardly perceived as caring.

Victims often describe their partners as “very charming, charismatic and kind,” Boyles said.

It occurs to me reading the above that all the people speaking out and "defending" PF really do not know him all that well. Most of them are acquaintances or people he went to high school with but did not hang out with much in recent years. Clint Cline might be able to claim he knows PF better than the others quoted but it sounds like even CC would only see PF when he was working on the donkeys "several times a year". How often is that-- once a month or every other month? It is easier to lie to someone you don't see daily and who has no associations with your significant other. CC probably never had a reason to doubt PF's lies and would not be in a position to get to know KB any other way in order to find out PF was lying about her.

MOO.

Wouldn't the landfill itself have cameras at the entrances or someway to document who is dumping things there? I don't think he would go directly to the landfill but perhaps he knew of a dumpster with no cameras. Many businesses were closed on Thanksgiving Day and around meal time/football kick off time the streets of small business areas are practically deserted (at least that has been my observation in every city I have ever lived in). What better day/time to dispose of something in a dumpster unnoticed? :eek:

I do hope we learn something tomorrow. The anticipation is driving me crazy. :D

What time is court?
Court is at 9 a.m.

I agree about the dumpster...ugh. :(

I, too, am looking forward to tomorrow and I'm curious to
hear how co-operative and honest PF's family has been in
assisting to help LE solve this crime. Seems to me there's
a lot of beneficial info they could give to help fill in the blanks.
Interesting we haven't heard much about the anyone cooperating except KK that I am aware of. I wonder if the civil lawsuit will subpoena those surrounding PF? This will be awkward IMO if the criminal trial is ongoing.

I hope this case is not argued outside of the courtroom however. I actually relished hearing all the "lies" PF implicated himself in but now I'm afraid each family's relatives and friends might try to OUTDO the other before the case gets tried.

I would like to hear something from his mother.. or brother or sister.

..Put it out there in the media as to where he was on Thanksgiving day folks, (and what his actions were afterwards before he was arrested.)

*waiting*

Updated Timeline:

TIMELINE:

November 22nd - Thursday
(Thanksgiving)
  • KB last seen on video surveillance shopping in Safeway (noon hour)
  • KB exchanged daughter with PF (fiancé)
  • KK learned PF committed homicide

November 24th or 25th - Saturday or Sunday
  • Police believe KK destroyed evidence on this date

November 25th - Sunday
  • Text from KB’s phone to her employer
  • KB's phone pinged in Gooding, ID (5:13 pm)
  • PF received text from KB’s phone

December 2nd - Sunday
  • KB's mom called PF on KB's whereabouts
  • Missing person reported - KB's mom (12:37 pm)

December 10th - Monday
  • Press Conference

December 12th - Wednesday
  • PF Attorney releases statement - PF is cooperating with investigators

December 13th - Thursday
  • Candlelight Vigil Held for KB

December 14th - Friday
  • Search Warrant Franzee Property/Residence

December 15th - Saturday
  • Twin Falls law enforcement was requested to help

December 16th - Sunday
  • The search of Patrick Frazee's property concludes Sunday night

December 18th - Tuesday
  • Five law enforcement vehicles seen leaving PF Property
  • PF and 2 others made trip to Waste Management Landfill

December 19th - Wednesday
  • LE at Kelsey’s Residence

December 20th - Thursday

December 21st - Friday
  • Arrested- 1st Degree murder and Solicitation of Murder
Inmate #: 2018001543
Booking #: 18-02029
Case #: D602018CR330
Archonix XJail Public
  • Press Conference 10am MST
  • PF - Hearing on Advisement - 3:30pm
Case #: D602018CR330​
  • Vigil held for KB in Moses Lake, WA
December 22nd - Saturday
  • Twin Falls, ID Police Department issued statement they are working with CBI and FBI to prepare and serve several search warrants, including processing items of possible evidence with the assistance of the Twin Falls County and Twin Falls Evidence Technicians.

December 27th - Thursday
  • Temporary Custody Hearing - 1pm
Case #: D602018JV26

Court granted a Temporary Emergency Custody Order made by Teller County Department of Human Services (TCDHS) placing the minor child in the temporary physical custody of maternal grandparents and legal custody of TCDHS. The court continued the temporary custody of the minor child with maternal grandparents. The court postponed a final decision after Frazee’s mother, the girl’s grandmother, filed a motion in the custody case and the case is continued for a pre-trial conference​

December 31st - Monday
  • PF - First Appearance - 9am
Colorado Judicial Branch - Court Docket Search

COUNT 1 - MURDER IN THE FIRST DEGREE
On or about November 22, 2018, PATRICK FRAZEE unlawfully, feleniously, after deliberation, and with the intent to cause the death of a person other than himself, caused the death of Kelsey Berreth.

COUNT 2 - SOLICITATION TO COMMIT MURDER IN THE FIRST DEGREE
Between and including September 1, 2018 and November 1, 2018, PATRICK FRAZEE unlawfully and feloniously commanded, induced, entered, or otherwise attempted to persuade another person to commit the felony of murder in the first degree, with intent to promote or facilitate the commission of that crime and under circumstances strongly corroborative of that intent.

COUNT 3-MURDER IN THE FIRST DEGREE
On or about November 22, 2018, PATRICK FRAZEE unlawfully and feloniously, acting alone or with one or more persons, committed or attempted to commit Robbery and, in the course of or in furtherance of that crime, or in the immediate flight therefrom, the death of Kelsey Berreth, a person, other than one of the participants, was cause by anyone.

COUNT 4-SOLICITATION TO COMMIT MURDER IN THE FIRST DEGREE
Between and including September 1, 2018 and November 1, 2018, PATRICK FRAZEE unlawfully and feloniously commanded, induced, entered, or otherwise attempted to persuade another person to commit the felony of murder in the first degree, with intent to promote or facilitate the commission of that crime and under circumstances strongly corroborative of that intent.

COUNT 5-SOLICITATION TO COMMIT MURDER IN THE FIRST DEGREE
Between and including September 1, 2018 and November 1, 2018 PATRICK FRAZEE unlawfully and feloniously commanded, induced, entreated, or otherwise attempted to persuade another person to commit the felony of murder in the first degree, with intent to promote or facilitate the commission of that crime and under circumstances strongly corroborative of that intent.​

January 3rd - Thursday
  • Temporary Custody Hearing Continued - 8:30am

January 4th - Friday
  • PF - Motions Hearing - 1:30pm

Discuss how to process an unknown piece of evidence, and whether Frazee and his defense can have access to the arrest affidavit.​
  • KB’s parents file civil suit against PF
Case: 19-cv-00027-PAB-KMT​

The civil suit accuses Frazee of wrongful death, negligence per se, conspiracy, and infliction of emotional distress. The documents allege Frazee either committed and/or collaborated in Kelsey's murder. The suit also accuses Frazee of inflicting physical, mental, and emotional acts of violence on Kelsey prior to her death. The Berreths claim that Frazee's "extreme and outrageous conduct" has caused them emotional distress exceeding $75,000.​

January 28th - Monday
  • PF - motion filed to dismiss wrongful death lawsuit

January 29th- Tuesday (VACATED)
  • PF - Preliminary Hearing - 9am

February 4th - Monday
  • Nurse KK - Teller County charged KK with 1 Felony Count Tampering with Physical Evidence

February 7th - Thursday
  • Pre-Trial Conference (Custody) - 8:30am
  • KK - Received a Summons of Class 6 Felony tampering with physical evidence
Case #: D602019CR17​

February 8th - Friday
  • Nurse KK Advisement Hearing 8:30am - Teller County
  • 1 Felony Count Tampering with Physical Evidence
Case #: D602019CR17​
  • KK pleads guilty - Felony tampering with physical evidence, deferred hearing until after PF’s murder trial. Prosecutors requiring KK to cooperate fully in PF’s murder trial. She is prohibited from speaking with press under plea. Prosecution wants plea papers kept from public. Judge grants motion. Review hearing schedule for June 24th at 11 am and every 90 days or so after. KK is allowed to appear for review hearings by phone until closer to sentencing. As part of the plea deal KK is required to cooperate, testify and have no communication with the press. KK stated she learned PF committed homicide on or about November 22nd in Teller County and she moved KB’s cell phone with intent to impair the phones availability of it in Teller County on November 24th or 25th, 2018.

February 15th - Friday
  • Amended Civil Action Complaint Filed
C-LEB & DLB v PF
Civil Action No. 1:19-CV-00027-PAB
http://media.graytvinc.com/documents/Amended+complaint+vs+Patrick+Frazee.pdf

February 19th- Tuesday
  • PF - Preliminary Hearing - 9am

March 11th- Monday
  • PF Wrongful Death - Scheduling and Planning Conference - 1:30 pm

April 4th - Thursday
  • Disposition Hearing (Custody) - 8:30am

June 24th - Monday
  • KK- Review Hearing - 11 am - Teller County
Case #: D602019CR17
(KK is allowed to appear for review hearings by phone until closer to sentencing)​

Colorado Judicial Branch
Archonix XJail Public
Colorado Judicial Branch
Colorado Judicial Branch - 4th Judicial District - Homepage
Amended Civil Action Complaint: http://media.graytvinc.com/documents/Amended+complaint+vs+Patrick+Frazee.pdf

awesome as always

Whew! This is a very long article. o_O This is what is not included in the above post from the media thread:

Possible motive for Kelsey Berreth killing revealed; friends saw Patrick Frazee as doting father and hard-working rancher

[…]

Police suspect Frazee, 32, killed his fiancee Kelsey Berreth, 29, in her Woodland Park townhome on Thanksgiving Day. She was last seen publicly, just after midday Nov. 22, as she was captured shopping with the couple’s baby on surveillance video at Safeway.

[…]

After searching Berreth’s townhome and Frazee’s ranch, sheriff’s deputies booked Frazee into the Teller County jail in Divide on five felony charges, including first-degree murder and solicitation to commit murder in the first degree. He’s been on a no-bond hold.

[…]

Now he’s the key figure in a sensational murder case that has drawn national attention. Berreth’s body has not been found, and information about the case has been tightly controlled.

So it was with shock and disbelief that some in the community registered the arrest of Frazee on Dec. 21 on suspicion of murdering Berreth, the mother of the couple’s 1-year-old daughter.

A possible motive for the presumed killing was revealed in an amended complaint filed Friday in U.S. District Court in the wrongful death lawsuit brought by Berreth’s family against Frazee. In it, they claim Frazee, who had the keys to Berreth’s townhome and possession of her gun, demanded full custody of their daughter and killed her when she refused.

Frazee faces a scheduled preliminary hearing Tuesday when authorities are expected to reveal for the first time details about the charges. The arrest affidavit and other legal paperwork pertaining to the case, sealed since his arrest, could be released at the hearing, said 4th Judicial District Attorney’s Office spokeswoman Lee Richards.

[…]

‘So kind and helpful’

In the meantime, Frazee’s associates in the community say they don’t recognize the picture of a murderer that authorities have painted of him.

Frazee would respond immediately to help the Two Mile High Club in Cripple Creek, the nonprofit agency that takes care of the town’s wandering donkey herd, said club president Clinton Cline.

As a farrier, Frazee trimmed the donkeys’ hooves several times a year for the past seven years, Cline said, and was on call for burro emergencies.

“He was very concerned about the health and well-being of the donkeys,” Cline said. “When they’d get stuff stuck in their hooves from wandering around the streets, he’d take care of us.”

Frazee had a “good work ethic,” Cline said, and was “very good at his job.”

[…]

The Gazette could not confirm the custodial arrangements of the couple’s child through court documents.

Welfare check requested

The supposition of innocence held by Frazee’s friends took a jolt on Feb. 8 when an Idaho nurse pleaded guilty to tampering with evidence in Berreth’s disappearance and apparent murder.

Krystal Jean Lee Kenney, 32, of Hansen, Idaho, accepted the plea deal at her advisement hearing in exchange for her testimony against Frazee.

“I learned Patrick Frazee had committed a homicide,” Kenney testified in court, reading from a handwritten statement. Choking back tears, she admitted she moved the victim’s cellphone with the intent to impair the investigation.

The charge against Kenney is a felony that normally results in up to 18 months in prison, but no sentence will be imposed until after Frazee’s case has concluded.

Berreth’s mother, Cheryl, asked Woodland Park police to do a welfare check on Berreth 10 days after Thanksgiving, on Dec. 2, when she was unable to contact her daughter.

The following day, Woodland Park police opened a missing person case on Berreth, with Chief Miles De Young announcing on a national television network that the department was searching for her. He asked Berreth to let her family know if she had simply left the area and was safe.

Cline said that Berreth had delivered Kaylee back to Frazee on Thanksgiving, and that “Patrick had no reason to think there was anything wrong.”

The child remained with Frazee until he was arrested, and she was then taken by the state Department of Human Services. Although Frazee’s mother, Sheila, fought for temporary custody of Kaylee, a judge granted Berreth’s parents, who live in Idaho, temporary physical custody.

‘Shocking and crazy’

Alumni from Frazee’s high school class started talking about the case after the arrest.

Graf said he and Frazee didn’t hang out in the same crowd, and he didn’t even remember Frazee being in their class until another classmate mentioned it.

“We were all kind of in shock,” he said. “It’s all very shocking and crazy.”

Frazee was born in Colorado Springs, according to the county jail log. He grew up in Florissant on his family’s ranch and has headed it for years. His father is deceased; his 64-year-old mother lives on the ranch. A brother, Sean, works as a Colorado Springs police officer, and a sister, Erin, lives in Larkspur.

Dana Souligny of Colorado Springs wrote on a Facebook page about the case that her son’s girlfriend grew up as an acquaintance of Frazee.

“She says he’s a great guy, and no one has a bad word to say about him,” Souligny said.

One expert cautioned that abusers aren’t easily identified based on their reputations among friends and co-workers.

When it comes to domestic violence, appearances can be deceiving, said Sherrylynn Boyles, executive director of TESSA, the Colorado Springs domestic violence prevention organization, which serves thousands of victims annually. It’s hardly uncommon for perpetrators to be outwardly perceived as caring.

Victims often describe their partners as “very charming, charismatic and kind,” Boyles said.

You are your usual awesomeness as well

Interesting we haven't heard much about the anyone cooperating except KK that I am aware of. I wonder if the civil lawsuit will subpoena those surrounding PF? This will be awkward IMO if the criminal trial is ongoing.

However, I'm pretty sure both the criminal trial and civil trial will not go on simultaneously. The criminal trial will come first if I understand correctly.

Yes, that too! I can't imagine PF's mom didn't want to see her grand baby on Thanksgiving. Even though she is local and saw the child often, it is a holiday. It has always struck me as strange that KB told her mom she had plans to go out to dinner with PF and the baby, as if perhaps KB was not welcome at a Frazee family holiday gathering. I think it might have been because PF had lied to his family about his relationship with Kelsey being over. And perhaps he also lied to KB and told her he wanted to surprise her with where they would go on Thanksgiving, hence the reason she did not tell her mom where they were going. I wonder if we will learn KB rushed to the store to get ingredients to make something special for PF? A special desert, perhaps, that her mom gave her a recipe for? There is too much still unknown about this case!

MOO.

Yes, so much was off about that day (apart from the obvious). He was definitely keeping Kelsey and his family apart.

His lies were about to catch up with him. IMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member