Found Deceased CO - Maggie Long, 17, suspicious house fire, Bailey, 1 Dec 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
On the multiple suspects theory.. The safe being described as "large" fits this. I am inclined to believe some planning and inside information was involved, which leads me ultimately to the question, if it was a single suspect that escaped in a stolen van from a remote location, how did they get there in the first place?
If the van was stolen, it was probably stolen by them to get to the Long's, instead of from the Long's.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

So why did Maggie, a 17 year old, own an AK, etc and so many rounds of ammo (2000)?
Was this supposedly for protection at the businesses? An AK is a little much, don't you guys think for this?

Eta: she is also too young to legally purchase firearms, so who did these guns belong to?

So why did Maggie, a 17 year old, own an AK, etc and so many rounds of ammo (2000)?
Was this supposedly for protection at the businesses? An AK is a little much, don't you guys think for this?
Why do you think that was Maggie's? Why wouldn't it be her father's or another adult who lives there? Was there something on the news regarding that?

Why do you think that was Maggie's? Why wouldn't it be her father's or another adult who lives there? Was there something on the news regarding that?

Please see my eta ( Eta: she is also too young to legally purchase firearms, so who did these guns belong to? )

No, there's been nothing on the news re: that, that I've seen.

I guess I'm all confused as to the exact living situation. So, she did not live there alone? Sorry if I missed this. For some reason I thought she had different quarters on the property, my bad, I'll go back and read again!

Eta: my bad, sorry for the confusion:

"Maggie Long, the 17-year-old reported missing Friday around the same time a fire burned her family’s home near Bailey, was discovered dead inside it, the Park County Sheriff’s Office said Thursday."

http://www.denverpost.com/2017/12/07/maggie-long-remains-found-bailey-home/

Who and where were the other people who lived there?

Eta: she is also too young to legally purchase firearms, so who did these guns belong to?

Did it say somewhere that Maggie was the owner of the AK? I would assume her Father was the owner not Maggie since I believe you have to be 18 to buy a gun. I personally don't believe guns like that should be owned for any reason but maybe her Dad was into target shooting, that would explain all the ammo.

Please see my eta ( Eta: she is also too young to legally purchase firearms, so who did these guns belong to? )

I guess I'm all confused as to the exact living situation. So, she did not live there alone? Sorry if I missed this. For some reason I thought she had different quarters on the property, my bad, I'll go back and read again!

I see your ETA now. I believe Maggie lived in the main house with her Mom and Dad and they had a tenant who rented the smaller home on the property.

Did it say somewhere that Maggie was the owner of the AK? I would assume her Father was the owner not Maggie since I believe you have to be 18 to buy a gun. I personally don't believe guns like that should be owned for any reason but maybe her Dad was into target shooting, that would explain all the ammo.

I see your ETA now. I believe Maggie lived in the main house with her Mom and Dad and they had a tenant who rented the smaller home on the property.

Thanks for the clarification, again my bad for the confusion!

On the multiple suspects theory.. The safe being described as "large" fits this. I am inclined to believe some planning and inside information was involved, which leads me ultimately to the question, if it was a single suspect that escaped in a stolen van from a remote location, how did they get there in the first place?

The van was stolen from the longs property???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The van was stolen from the longs property???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If the van was stolen, it was probably stolen by them to get to the Long's, instead of from the Long's.

(If it were stolen from the Long's they would know the make, model, year, color)

It's a confusing case! And LE hasn't done themselves or the public any favors with their secrecy about it.

or LE releasing information, then basically saying, whoops, no, that's not right.

I really don't know how to address any of this without addressing the seemingly contradictory statements by LE thus far and it seems like we are trying to avoid that so I guess I'll just shut up for now.

(If it were stolen from the Long's they would know the make, model, year, color)

How do they know the van was stolen if they don’t even know the make or model?

A lot of us here have followed crime stories for a long time. Do any of you recall any incident where law enforcement came out and lied saying there was no body found and then hide it in the morgue? I can’t think of one case

Eta: my bad, sorry for the confusion:

"Maggie Long, the 17-year-old reported missing Friday around the same time a fire burned her family’s home near Bailey, was discovered dead inside it, the Park County Sheriff’s Office said Thursday."

http://www.denverpost.com/2017/12/07/maggie-long-remains-found-bailey-home/

Who and where were the other people who lived there?

I believe the other people who lived there with Maggie were her parents. They own 2 businesses (restaurant and liquor store), so I assume they were at their place of business working.

How do they know the van was stolen if they don’t even know the make or model?
Follow my post up. I was going off another poster post above who thought it was stolen from the Long's.

Although at this point if there is a stolen van in that area that fits the description I'm sure they know it and hopefully the eyewitnesses have identified it as the correct one.

IMO the perp knew what he was after and Maggie got in the way. It seems to me that the guns and ammunition plus whatever was in the safe was the target. I suspect this was premeditated.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

or LE releasing information, then basically saying, whoops, no, that's not right.
Did they ever say it wasn't right? I thought they only said it shouldn't have been released.

Why is it that the LE reports are considered to be a lie?
Wohlers also said there was no body found at the scene of the fire
http://denver.cbslocal.com/2017/12/02/missing-girl-arson-fire/

Often in a house fire, with ceilings collapsed, walls caved in, floors collapsed into basements and debris feet deep, along with hot spots that must be constantly monitored, it can be many many days before all debris is sifted through, cataloged, bagged and examined. A body then found is not just pulled out, it must be forensically examined, documented, etc.before the identification process can begin.

No body was found. Often times victims hide under beds, inside closets, etc. In this case, once her body was found it became certain that the COD was homicide.

No body was found that was clearly Identified as a body. Time after time in just my own town people remain unaccounted for after a fire and are considered missing for days until the fire debris is examined.

There must have been very good reason at the scene to soon afterward convince a Judge to issue a gag order to prevent the release of information. No searches were organized. The family didn't go searching. When the gag order was lifted her discovery was announced.

I don't see any lies and deceit there.

JMO

Hello,

I am the editor of The Fairplay Flume, the weekly paper of record in Park County.

I have been working this story from my end. I monitored the radio traffic of the whole incident coming down, and I kept note of other actions taking place during the next three days.

It's obvious that LE is not releasing much info, that's the game we always play. They know, I have to find out so I can inform the public. I know more about this than the Denver broadcast people know, but I am keeping a lot to myself right now.

It was The Flume that first reported the content of the initial 911 call. That call was made from an attic apartment, above the rear of the house. The apartment sits over the Long's kitchen area and the living room downstairs.

I know who made the call. The person is probably not a suspect, but that person is keeping a low profile, I have not been able to speak to him, although I have leads to other people in his social circle.

There is a number of things that have been said on this thread that is wrong. Mainly because a lot of you are even further removed from local sources. So I would like to help you out with things I can talk about.

This statement from above, "IMO the perp knew what he was after and Maggie got in the way. It seems to me that the guns and ammunition plus whatever was in the safe was the target. I suspect this was premeditated" is partly wrong.

Nothing ever reported that a safe was missing from the house. Here is the body of the BOLO, although there was more at the top of the BOLO and at the end.

"The bolo is going to be for a late model 90s to 2000 light colored mini van, possibly driven by a white male in his 20s. Homicide occurred during an arson and the suspect driver may have some flash burns … as well as gasoline taken from the house, a large case, AK47, 2000 rounds of ammo of 7.62 and a 9mm Beretta. Please advise the subject is considered armed and extremely dangerous."

The item mentioned is "a large case," not a safe.
The BOLO does not mention a "stolen van."
Maggie did not own the guns, this was her parents house, she lived there, the weapons probably belonged to the family.
The BOLO was not meant to be broadcasted to Denver police, it was a bulletin for CIAC. It was a mistake that it went out the way it did.

I have audio of the complete BOLO.

The Long's own at least four businesses in Park County, not two and county records show at least seven properties (some land).

Everything that I have been able to release to the public can be found in these articles ...

http://www.theflume.com/free_content/article_aaf65e2a-d918-11e7-ac5e-27d5a2fe169d.html
http://www.theflume.com/free_content/article_95a95bc2-dc6e-11e7-bc63-d3e7c1dd804f.html
http://www.theflume.com/free_content/article_077e8364-db82-11e7-80fe-afc9e1474238.html

To add some confirmation, yes, Maggie's car was on the property. They knew they had a body that night, but CBI had to identify the remains. The fire did not gut the house, it was contained around a kitchen/hallway area and when up into the attic apartment. There is one small hole in the roof, which can be seen in some helicopter shots taken by the Denver (I call them "downhill") broadcast media.

There is one thing I want to point out. Your member "Zchick" has posted some things here and some of what she/he posted jives with info that I have (but not published). I sent her/him a PM with my home phone number, asking her/him to call me, I think together we can help inform the public of what happened. I have had no phone call or an answer to my PM, which is her/his prerogative.

I'm still working my end.There will probably be two articles in the paper next Thursday (remember, we're a weekly), one that concentrates on Maggie and the community and the other with anything I can release about the incident.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cevans