Found Deceased CO - Maggie Long, 17, suspicious house fire, Bailey, 1 Dec 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
suspects-in-long-murder-case-colorado.jpg

Sketches released in brutal murder of 17-year-old Maggie Long in Colorado. (Park County Sheriff's Department, via Tribune Media Wire)

I’m curious if the suspects are thought to be locals or unknown. It seems a rather tight-knit community so I would think if it were locals they’d have been identified by now.

Has motive been discussed? Interrupted burglary seems most likely.

Poor girl :(

Colorado teen was ‘purposefully set on fire and burned alive’; 3 suspects sought in 2017 death
A 17-year-old Colorado girl who was found dead inside her home in 2017 was “purposefully set on fire and burned alive,” police said as they hunt for three suspects in hopes of solving the murder more than a year after the teen’s death.

Park County Sheriff’s Office announced Monday new findings in the investigation into Maggie Long’s death and released new sketches of the men who they believe were involved in the house fire, KDVR reported. Long was reported missing in December 2017 after she didn’t show up for a concert at Platte Canyon High School.

Police later found Long’s body inside her home that was set on fire. The scene where her body was discovered was “badly damaged” by the flames and authorities ruled her death a homicide three days later. There were no leads on possible suspects until now.

This case is so bizarre!!! I have a zillion questions.
Yes. It sounds like it was the house, not Maggie, that was targeted. Did Maggie walk in on a burglary in progress? If so, the burglars must have been familiar with the family. There were certain items they knew were in the house which they wanted, and they didn't expect anyone to be home at that time. So, the perps must have known about the concert at Maggie's school and didn't expect her to return home after school.

If that's the case, the perps killed Maggie because she was a witness and they wanted to destroy any DNA evidence, which means Maggie probably struggled with them.

That makes it likely the perps are local, which increases the chance someone will recognize them from the sketches. The sketches released so far are very detailed. The one has very distinguishing features and so I hope people will recognize them and talk.

Justice for Maggie and her family!

$50K reward offered for unsolved 2017 murder of Denver girl who was burned alive in targeted attack | Daily Mail Online
9144234-6645521-image-a-23_1548792157203.jpg

9144232-6645521-image-a-24_1548792160852.jpg

The task force also released the photos above of three vehicles similar to ones seen in the area on the day Long was killed

IMO the white van looks like it could be similar to a service type of vehicle, i.e. handyman, cable guy, plumber, etc. I’m wondering if they recently had anyone working on the house or even someone that stopped by to try to get work before this terrible day... This is just the first thing that picture made me think of. Again, IMO only.

So glad there's new posts on this thread. Hopeful the new sheriff is going to get this solved. Sickened to hear Maggie was burned alive. I can't forget the testimony in another case where the details were described of the victim's injuries that was burned alive. Poor Maggie!

I looked at the task force website and the photos of the home. It appears the worse burning was in the laundry room or right outside of it. I was surprised the kitchen didn't have more fire damage than shown.

I pray ALL those involved are soon arrested!

It seems with those vehicles and sketches this can be tied to a group of people. I do hope so. What a horrible thing to do to Maggie. I don’t understand why they had to burn her alive versus killing her a less painful way... either way the witness is gone (of course I wish they had kept her alive). They didn’t burn every area they were in (IMO), which makes me think they are very evil people AND wanted to get rid of evidence on Maggie. I hope these guys are caught soon. They are very evil people. IMO

Pure speculation here, but I don't think that a burglary gone bad fits with multiple vehicles. I would think a burglar would want to keep a low profile, and multiple vehicles doesn't fit with that.

Pure speculation here, but I don't think that a burglary gone bad fits with multiple vehicles. I would think a burglar would want to keep a low profile, and multiple vehicles doesn't fit with that.
And wasn't there a renter on the property the whole time. Wouldn't he see three cars. Maybe I'm remembering it wrong.

And wasn't there a renter on the property the whole time. Wouldn't he see three cars. Maybe I'm remembering it wrong.

I think the renter had a room above the kitchen and he heard Maggie shouting/arguing at someone and then heard dishes and or glassware being broken and called 911 before the fire started. I could have the sequence of events slightly mixed-up. The renter I believe is a ear witness not a eye witness or at least that's I what remember from earlier posts. I believe Walter Newton posted a timeline of events about a month or two after the incident.

I am surprised this case and the MO case aren’t linked. Aside from the distance, it’s unbelievable how similar the sketches are, as well as the similarities in the crime. I recall when this crime was first reported, there was someone on here who lived/s in that area and heard about the van coming out of that area (page 10-zchick). It seems if these guys live in that area, it would not be difficult to find the owners of these particular vehicles and link them together (I think the mini van may not be owned by the driver IMO). That makes me think they do not live in the area. I feel these guys have been to the house before or know someone familiar with the house. They also were aware of the family’s behaviors/schedules. Someone, other than the criminals, knows who did this. They see the sketches; they know the vehicles linked; they noticed the burns; they know about the weapons. I pray the guilt of knowing eats at them. I pray they find compassion for this family and want justice for Maggie and finally come forward. I think the Flume articles are well-written and would recommend for others to read them. All IMO

Last edited:
Authorities say Bailey teen Maggie Long was burned alive in 2017; three suspects sought in murder
"Law enforcement believe the intent of the fire was to conceal actions of these assailants, such as the physical altercation and subsequent robbery," the authorities wrote on the newly-created website seeking tips.
According to the website , the new suspect sketch came from a description of a man seen in the passenger seat of a Chevrolet Astro-type work van. Another witness also reported seeing vehicles similar to an early-90s Ford Aerostar van and a late-80s Ford F-150 leaving the area of the family's home on the day Long was killed.
more...

I almost get the sense LE has a good idea who the culprits are, but need witness testimony to solidify the case. The suspects probably went to the home prepared to avoid leaving behind DNA (wearing gloves, e.g.) but when they got into an altercation with Maggie, who arrived home unexpectedly, they took steps to conceal DNA at the scene. JMO

I am surprised this case and the MO case aren’t linked. Aside from the distance, it’s unbelievable how similar the sketches are, as well as the similarities in the crime. I recall when this crime was first reported, there was someone on here who lived/s in that area and heard about the van coming out of that area (page 10-zchick). It seems if these guys live in that area, it would not be difficult to find the owners of these particular vehicles and link them together (I think the mini van may not be owned by the driver IMO). That makes me think they do not live in the area. I feel these guys have been to the house before or know someone familiar with the house. They also were aware of the family’s behaviors/schedules. Someone, other than the criminals, knows who did this. They see the sketches; they know the vehicles linked; they noticed the burns; they know about the weapons. I pray the guilt of knowing eats at them. I pray they find compassion for this family and want justice for Maggie and finally come forward. I think the Flume articles are well-written and would recommend for others to read them. All IMO
They found no connection from the Missouri incident, I believe one of them was incarcerate at the time of ML murder... but that was my first inclination after I saw that on the news, it was so closely related

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
knownstranger07