CO - Margaret 'Peggy' Beck, 16, Jefferson County, 18 Aug 1963

Discussion in 'Cold Cases' started by RubyRed, Sep 14, 2010.

1. RubyRed

RubyRed "Keep on Truckin"

[​IMG][​IMG]

Margaret "Peggy" Beck
    August 18, 1963

On August 18, 1963 Margaret "Peggy" Beck, a 16-year-old Girl Scout aide, was discovered dead at the Flying G Ranch Girl Scout camp, near Deckers. Beck had been sleeping alone in a tent near many other campers. Beck had been sexually assaulted and strangled.

If you have any possible information related to this case please contact Investigator Cheryl Moore at (303) 271-5625, or cmoore@jeffco.us.

http://www.co.jefferson.co.us/sheriff/sheriff_T62_R60.htm

2. Loading...

3. RubyRed

Girl Scout counselor strangled in tent

Victim’s Name: Margaret “Peggy” Beck
    Hometown: Denver
    Investigative agency: Jefferson County Sheriff’s Office
    Date murdered: Aug. 18, 1963
    Body found: Flying G Ranch Girl Scout camp near Deckers
    Cause of death: Strangulation
    Suspects: None identified

Her broken fingernails indicated to investigators that teenage Girl Scout camp counselor Margaret Beck desperately fought her attacker.

The FBI collected scrapings from under her fingernails after the 16-year-old’s body was found in her sleeping bag on Aug. 18, 1963, at a girl’s camp in the Pike National Forest.

http://blogs.denverpost.com/coldcases/2007/10/12/girl-scout-counselor-strangled-in-tent/

4. RubyRed

That evidence, collected 44 years ago, could lead to her killer, according to cold-case investigator Cheryl Moore of the Jefferson County Sheriff’s Office.

Moore has submitted the DNA evidence for processing, she said.

The Jefferson County Sheriff’s Office was not notified until eight hours after her body was discovered and valuable evidence was likely lost at the crime scene, then-Sheriff Harold Bray said at the time. Before authorities were called, camp officials thoroughly cleaned the tent, and her tent companion took all her belongings home.

http://blogs.denverpost.com/coldcases/2007/10/12/girl-scout-counselor-strangled-in-tent/

5. RubyRed

6. Kat

Kat Kind words do not cost much

Certainly cleaning a tent out where a woman was violently murdered and sending her belongings home was not SOP even in the 60's right?

Good grief.

7. carbuff

carbuff There but for the grace of God go I

Shouldn't this be under Cold Cases rather than Missing??? Or am I, um, "missing" something?

8. Kat

Kat Kind words do not cost much

There are two archived articles that are pay per view.

One talks about a posse calling off the search after her murder.

The other talks about 3 being questioned in relation to Peggy's murder. That's the one I'm interested in.

9. RubyRed

That was strange wasn't it, Kat?

10. SunnieRN

SunnieRN New Member

I wonder WHO the camp officials that cleaned out the tent were? Think one of them might be the culprit? Also, sound travels pretty darn far in the woods. As a counselor, she would have to be near enough to hear the other campers. I can't believe no one heard anything. Also, who would have known she would be in the tent alone that night, since it was not the usual routine.

11. Sleuthster

Sleuthster New Member

12. Sleuthster

Sleuthster New Member

13. SeriouslySearching

SeriouslySearching New Member

Only heard about this case yesterday and I was really surprised. Let me bump this up since we have been discussing the OK Girl Scout Murders lately.

14. nerosleuth

nerosleuth New Member

In the book Tent Number Eight that was written by Gloyd McCoy about the 1977 Oklahoma Girl Scout murders, his book also mentions the 1963 murder of Margaret “Peggy” Beck at a girl scout camp in Colorado.

McCoy wrote in his book that the staff at the Colorado girl scout camp believed Margaret “Peggy” Beck had died of natural causes when her body was found inside her tent on Sunday morning. Her tent had been cleaned and her personal belongings were removed before authorities were contacted eight hours later about her death. Scout officials were later shocked after the autopsy had revealed that Margaret “Peggy” Beck had been sexually assaulted and strangled.

Source:

https://books.google.com/books?id=u...g+g+girl+scout+camp+colorado&output=html_text

I would say that after Margaret’s body was found in her tent that Sunday morning, scout officials kept the news of her death quiet at that camp. And they waited until after all of the girl scouts had left the camp later on that day before her death was reported to the authorities.

15. nerosleuth

nerosleuth New Member