Found Deceased CO - Micah Tice, 20, hiker, Rocky Mountain Natl Park, Longs Peak Trailhead, USAFA Cadet, 22 Nov 2018

Cadet Candidate Micah Tice was last seen Thanksgiving night.

Tice told his sponsor family he was going to work on homework on Thursday night and maybe take a hike on Friday. Tice also called his parents, who live in Nevada, on Friday. Investigators tracked his phone signal near Woodman Avenue and Interstate 25 in Colorado Springs.

His vehicle was found at the Longs Peak Trailhead Monday afternoon.

The weather was poor on the mountain on Saturday with “significant snow accumulation, extremely high winds and bitter cold temperatures.”

Crews Begin Search For Missing Air Force Academy Cadet On Longs Peak

Update on search efforts for missing man in RMNP

Beginning at sunrise Tuesday, Rocky Mountain National Park (RMNP) Search and Rescue Team members searched sections of the Longs Peak Trail, as well as sections of the Boulder Field to the Keyhole area and the trail to Chasm Lake for Micah Tice. According to a recent RMNP press release, searchers encountered deep snow and high winds.

Assisting RMNP Search and Rescue Team members Tuesday included Summit County Search and Rescue Dog Team, a Colorado NationalGuard helicopter and crew and Alpine Rescue Team members. The Colorado National Guard helicopter conducted an initial aerial reconnaissance, however the flight was curtailed due to wind gusts over 90 mph on Longs Peak.

[...]

MISSING: Cadet candidate who reportedly went hiking on Longs Peak

So this source says he talked to his parents Friday night, was going to do school work and then hike on Saturday.
ETA "Micah Tice, 20, who attends the United States Air Force Academy Preparatory School, last contacted his parents on Friday at about 9 p.m. He reportedly told them he was going to do some schoolwork and possibly take a hike on Saturday. His phone signal was last received on Saturday near Woodmen and I-25, and he failed to show up to class Monday morning."

And the weather was bad there on Saturday? So why would he hike in that? Or is this incorrect and the other version is accurate where he planned to hike Friday?

Last edited:
Now this report says the weather was bad on Sunday instead of Saturday. Sigh...
Here in Denver, the weather turned abruptly from nice and sunny to extremely windy and cold with blowing snow Saturday evening around 5 and continued into Sunday morning. It got better during the day Sunday. Obviously, things get worse in the mountains sooner than here, but it probably followed a similar pattern

The Mom says they are hoping to find a helicopter with heat detecting FLIR technology. Just wondering why Air Force Academy has a hard time getting that pronto?

Would that even work at this point? Not that they wouldn’t try, but I’m imagining a frozen body (sorry). Genuinely curious about the technology.

Searchers “encountered deep snow and high winds” as they looked for Tice on sections of the Longs Peak Trail, sections of the Boulder Field to the Keyhole area and the trail to Chasm Lake.

A Colorado National Guard helicopter “conducted an initial aerial reconnaissance,” but was forced to stop because winds were gusting at more than 90 mph.

Search for missing Air Force Academy cadet candidate begins in Longs Peak area

Here in Denver, the weather turned abruptly from nice and sunny to extremely windy and cold with blowing snow Saturday evening around 5 and continued into Sunday morning. It got better during the day Sunday. Obviously, things get worse in the mountains sooner than here, but it probably followed a similar pattern

Okay, that kind of sounds like he might have thought he could finish the hike before the bad weather moved in. Not being from the area, he might not have realized that the high mountains usually have more severe conditions than the valley.

Not that Colo Spgs is exactly a valley. But relatively speaking.

Wow! You must say that this young cadet tried to prepare for a cold, snowy hike. I just hope his plans are successful.
Yes it seems he did try to prepare for the weather. But I wonder how long he was planning to hike. I believe he told Mom that he was going to hike on Saturday (just for the day?) and he missed classes Monday after the Thanksgiving holiday break so apparently he got into some difficulty along his route. I hope he had enough gear and supplies with him to last these 4-5 days. Or longer most likely.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jrak
Back