Found Deceased CO - Micah Tice, 20, hiker, Rocky Mountain Natl Park, Longs Peak Trailhead, USAFA Cadet, 22 Nov 2018

I wonder if he was successful at the academy. This trek almost seems like a suicide mission imo.
He wasn't an Air Force Academy cadet, he was a cadet CANDIDATE and was in the 10-month preparatory course in a school on their grounds. You can not directly apply to the school - it's for people who applied to the Air Force Academy and were NOT accepted. I'm thinking he was doing something to make him stand out from the other potential candidates after not being initially selected for the Academy. Here's the links about Micah and the course itself Two hikers left missing on Colorado's Longs Peak Prep School Program | Air Force Academy

He wasn't an Air Force Academy cadet, he was a cadet CANDIDATE and was in the 10-month preparatory course in a school on their grounds. You can not directly apply to the school - it's for people who applied to the Air Force Academy and were NOT accepted. I'm thinking he was doing something to make him stand out from the other potential candidates after not being initially selected for the Academy. Here's the links about Micah and the course itself Two hikers left missing on Colorado's Longs Peak Prep School Program | Air Force Academy

JMO
I think you are right that he may have been trying to do something that would help him get selected and to stand out from other applicants. It fits into this description on this article below.

I hope the idea to try to climb that mountain with minimal gear is not a common idea that is passed around the cadet candidates. Maybe that idea has been successfully used before by the candidates to get accepted and it may be suggested amongst the candidates as something to try and do. That would be awful if he felt he needed to do that to stand out and get accepted.

"Many casual hikers attempt Longs despite the fact it is one of the toughest 14ers. Longs Peak casts a siren’s song over many people who are looking to test their mettle in the mountains."

"More than 60 people have died on Longs Peak and the majority of those have been on the Keyhole route."

10 Things to Know Before Hiking Longs Peak

ETA - I am now curious if we could ever find out of the 60 people that have died how many of them were cadet candidates.

Last edited:
JMO
I think you are right that he may have been trying to do something that would help him get selected and to stand out from other applicants. It fits into this description on this article below.

I hope the idea to try to climb that mountain with minimal gear is not a common idea that is passed around the cadet candidates. Maybe that idea has been successfully used before by the candidates to get accepted and it may be suggested amongst the candidates as something to try and do. That would be awful if he felt he needed to do that to stand out and get accepted.

"Many casual hikers attempt Longs despite the fact it is one of the toughest 14ers. Longs Peak casts a siren’s song over many people who are looking to test their mettle in the mountains."

"More than 60 people have died on Longs Peak and the majority of those have been on the Keyhole route."

10 Things to Know Before Hiking Longs Peak

ETA - I am now curious if we could ever find out of the 60 people that have died how many of them were cadet candidates.
This doesn't include occupation status of those who have perished hiking LP, but it's an interesting read. Gives some ages, gender and a few unusual causes. The number 60 is referenced here already and this is from 2013.

Rocky Mountain Journal: Fatalities on Longs Peak

Was doing more research on Longs Peak.

Its located near Estes Park CO which is not too far from Colorado Springs where the Academy is although its a little drive. I found a couple good links and one has a live webcam from the mountain but its too dark right now to see anything from it.

This part of one of the articles mentions a couple important things. One is that once you get to the boulder field then there really is not a trail anymore and you have to follow marked rocks which can get covered with snow in bad weather.

"Is the “trail” to the summit of Longs Peak easy to find?
There is no “trail” to the summit of Longs Peak. The designated, maintained hiking trail ends at the Boulder Field, about five miles from the trailhead. From here you walk and scramble over boulders toward the Keyhole feature. Once at the Keyhole, the best route follows red and yellow bull’s-eyes painted on the rocks. If you lose the bull’s eyes you are likely off-route and will encounter more difficult climbing with potentially severe consequences. It is important to retrace your steps back to the bull’s-eyes before continuing. Do not shortcut! Keep in mind if the route is in “winter- like” conditions sections of the bull’s-eyes will not be visible. Do not rely on GPS systems or other technology to “show” you the route."

Longs Peak - Keyhole Route - Rocky Mountain National Park (U.S. National Park Service)

Longs Peak Webcam (U.S. National Park Service)

Its located near Estes Park CO which is not too far from Colorado Springs where the Academy is although its a little drive. I found a couple good links and one has a live webcam from the mountain but its too dark right now to see anything from it.

This part of one of the articles mentions a couple important things. One is that once you get to the boulder field then there really is not a trail anymore and you have to follow marked rocks which can get covered with snow in bad weather.

There is no “trail” to the summit of Longs Peak. The designated, maintained hiking trail ends at the Boulder Field, about five miles from the trailhead. From here you walk and scramble over boulders toward the Keyhole feature. Once at the Keyhole, the best route follows red and yellow bull’s-eyes painted on the rocks. If you lose the bull’s eyes you are likely off-route and will encounter more difficult climbing with potentially severe consequences. It is important to retrace your steps back to the bull’s-eyes before continuing. Do not shortcut! Keep in mind if the route is in “winter- like” conditions sections of the bull’s-eyes will not be visible. Do not rely on GPS systems or other technology to “show” you the route."

Longs Peak - Keyhole Route - Rocky Mountain National Park (U.S. National Park Service)

Thanks. Most of this info wold likely apply to Micah. I agree he was up to proving something for some reason.

This too. Very interesting with many words warning and wisdom that appeared to be ignored or brushed off by overzealous overconfident hikers.

Climb Colorado’s Most Dangerous (and Appealing) Peak

This doesn't include occupation status of those who have perished hiking LP, but it's an interesting read. Gives some ages, gender and a few unusual causes. The number 60 is referenced here already and this is from 2013.

Rocky Mountain Journal: Fatalities on Longs Peak

Thank you for finding that. It is very interesting to read about the different statistics. This one statistic is about the age range I would expect a cadet candidate to be in.

"Although 57% of the victims were below the age of 30"

It is closer to Estes I believe which is the gateway to the main park, east side. Hubby and I have hiked in the park and near LP, but I NEVER had any desire to summit or even get close. It's beautiful just to observe from a distance.
[/QUOTE

ETA This is the reply I meant to post on @Hatfield 's previous post. My fingers don't work this early in the am.

Last edited:
It is closer to Estes I believe which is the gateway to the main park, east side. Hubby and I have hiked in the park and near LP, but I NEVER had any desire to summit or even get close. It's beautiful just to observe from a distance.

ETA This is the reply I meant to post on @Hatfield 's previous post. My fingers don't work this early in the am.

Yeah. Thanks. Its a further drive from the Academy to the Longs Peak mountain in Estes Park than I thought. Below is a map that shows its about a 2 1/2 hour drive to get to Estes Park where the mountain is from the Academy in Colorado Springs.

He first had to make that long drive before even starting his climb.

Google Maps

Last edited:
Yeah. Thanks. Its a further drive from the Academy to the Longs Peak mountain in Estes Park than I thought. Below is a map that shows its about a 2 1/2 hour drive to get to Estes Park where the mountain is from the Academy in Colorado Springs.

Google Maps
We hiked in the Twin Sisters area around Lily Lake. And we had driven from Denver up there through Boulder. Then across the main park Trail Ridge Road to the western side of RMNP and back to Denver and Colorado Springs. (Not all in one day lol, of course).

It's why I wondered from the beginning why Micah chose to drive up that way to hike on a day off when there are many areas closer to CS. Perhaps the need to prove his merit by doing something unique, "brave" etc. WAS behind this.

And wow! This info is hair-raising. Plus a webcam! Thanks for sharing, though it's making shivers run up and down my spine..from cold and fear. Yikes!

And wow! This info is hair-raising. Plus a webcam! Thanks for sharing, though it's making shivers run up and down my spine..from cold and fear. Yikes!

Me too with fear that he did not make it. I feel so bad for him and his family.

I had mentioned before that I had skiid in many of the best Colorado Ski resorts like Aspen and Vail and was amazed at how large the mountains were there. Amazing part of the country and every time I was there I wanted to start singing like John Denver. Such a beautiful area.

Me too with fear that he did not make it. I feel so bad for him and his family.

I had mentioned before that I had skiid in many of the best Colorado Ski resorts like Aspen and Vail and was amazed at how large the mountains were there. Amazing part of the country and every time I was there I wanted to start singing like John Denver. Such a beautiful area.
Agree. I do feel such fear for him and HIS probable fear.
And lucky you. I’ve only been to some of those ski areas in summer. Just driving Independence Pass to Aspen was hair raising. I imagine Micah was intrigued by the beauty as well as the adventure. . Of hiking in the mountains.

Micah's mom's Facebook page has postings and photos (and short video) of 2 volunteers who continue to search for Micah on their own after NPS and SAR have suspended search. Conditions are clearly stated and illustrated by this. For example 70-100 MPH winds and windchill temps -30; broken ice over creek beds where if not careful stepping can fall and get wet; deep, deep snow, etc. Gives one pause for sure.

Hope THEY stay safe on this generous mission.

Don't think I can link since it's her personal page, although she has turned it into a find Micah info source. Or it may be references upthread a bit.

It is really time for search and rescue efforts to re-group, this time of year, it is too chancy to be up there. The wind chill alone can plummet to -20.
Mom reminds me a lot of Sam Sayers mom. She posts videos almost daily and asks for help and guidance to find Micah, believing he’s still alive. I feel her pain. Her sadness is hard to witness.

It is really time for search and rescue efforts to re-group, this time of year, it is too chancy to be up there. The wind chill alone can plummet to -20.

When I was skiing in Colorado I recall discussions with the Ski Patrol how they sometimes had to wait for the "Spring Thaw" to find lost skiiers that went out of bounds and got lost and trapped. The snow just gets too deep to even maneuver. It was common to end up with a 70-90 inch base of snow by mid-winter. In areas where its not heavily traveled then the snow is deep and soft and you can step in up to your waist or more and not be able to move around on foot.

The live Webcam at Longs Peak is working. Looks like cloudy overcast skies with snow at the higher elevations.

ETA - I think this webcam takes pictures every so often rather than a totally live shot. The fine print at top says the picture was taken today @ 10:31 a.m. and the Temperature is 11.3 degrees Fareignheight. I bet the camera will update the picture every so often.

Last edited:

Thanks for the great info on the rocks! As to the cam -it doesn't explain on all the links to the cam but it's not taking a picture FROM the mountain, the webcam is located in the thick forest in the beautiful Tahosa Valley along Hwy 7. The Valley is lower elevation and fairly wide, located to the east of the peak itself and the cam is aimed up towards the Peak to its West. If the webcam today say said 11 F. , I bet it's 30 degrees colder up at the top. About the Tahosa Valley

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ghost246
Back