Identified! CO - Montrose Co., 'Windy Point Jane Doe' Fem 642UFCO, 35-40, scoliosis, Jul'94 - Susan Hoppes

This is where Smokehouse Campground is, according to Googlemaps: http://goo.gl/maps/tfFpq

It looks like it's way the hell in the middle of nowhere, but you can drive to it from several directions. I don't know about this particular campground but the whole area is popular with tourists.

Doenet link: http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/642ufco.html

Okay, do you think "She suffered from temporomandibular joint syndrome" and had "multiple dental artifacts" matches " left, right, upper and lower fractures of jaws; surgical plates with pins in the maxilla"(Sarah Ann Norfleet, missing summer 1993 from Bountiful, UT http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/2176dfut.html)?

I know for TMJ repair, they do have to break your jaw. My daughter looked into it and decided the potential complications outweighed the benefits.

A lot of the demographic data doesn't match--she's too young, and white/Asian--but the timeline lines up well. She was last seen in late June 1993 but not reported missing until September, within the 6-12 months before discovery.

I get an error message for sarah ann norfleet's doe network page.

She is still in NamUs and Charley.

<removed defunct link>

She wouldn't be this Jane Doe. Sarah Norfleet has medical hardware in her skull to repair a fractured maxilla. WPJD apparently had problems with her Tempromandibular joint, but there was no mention of medical hardware.

Last edited by a moderator:

<removed defunct link>

She wouldn't be this Jane Doe. Sarah Norfleet has medical hardware in her skull to repair a fractured maxilla. WPJD apparently had problems with her Tempromandibular joint, but there was no mention of medical hardware.

She was in Doenet a couple of hours ago. I'm still looking at her page.

I thought the maxilla was part of the upper jaw? Time for an anatomy lesson...

She is still on the doe network. I removed the )? tacked on at the end of the link and it worked.

The Denver Post had a pretty good piece today as well.

Montrose sheriff's investigators and FBI agents have released composite pictures of a woman whose remains were recovered in a remote area of Montrose County in 1994 in hopes that her identification could help solve two cold case murders.

FBI officials recently received an anonymous letter from a person who claimed to have information about the murders of two women in Montrose, Delta or Mesa counties nearly 20 years ago. The details appeared to identify the 1994 Jane Doe case from Montrose County.

"I don't know who wrote it but I'd surely like to talk to them about it," David Harrison, investigator for the Montrose County Sheriff's Office, said Tuesday.

The Denver Post: FBI and Montrose officials seek help identifying woman's body
http://www.denverpost.com/breakingn...rose-authorities-seek-help-identifying-womans

I thought there was already a thread for her, but apparently not.

Here's the other reconstruction. I had thought that the first recon had to have been the work of a bad forensic artist, but this one portrays the same look. Maybe she really did have a very unusual face with a long flat nose, no cheekbone definition, and almost no brow overhang.

2438058280045078242S600x600Q851.jpg

Treacher-Collin's syndrome?

http://news.bbcimg.co.uk/media/images/50024000/jpg/_50024071_jono_grab2_640x360.jpg
<removed defunct link>

Seeing the downwards-slanting eyes and long, flat nose immediately made me think of Treacher-Collin's. Especially when you mentioned the cheekbones, since the syndrome messes with your facial structure and people with it often have terrible cheekbone definition.

Treacher-Collin's syndrome?

http://news.bbcimg.co.uk/media/images/50024000/jpg/_50024071_jono_grab2_640x360.jpg
<removed defunct link>

Seeing the downwards-slanting eyes and long, flat nose immediately made me think of Treacher-Collin's. Especially when you mentioned the cheekbones, since the syndrome messes with your facial structure and people with it often have terrible cheekbone definition.

Could be - But I think this is just a case of lousy sculptor syndrome. LOL

<removed defunct link>

So what do you think the term "multiple dental artifacts" might mean in WPJD's description? They list the dental extractions as well as the gold crown and gold molar separately.

<removed defunct link>

Kimberly Thompson, missing 1986 from Illinois, 5'3" and 105 lbs. She was 26 when she went missing, so she'd be on the low end of the range in 1994. No mention of dental stuff.

Pretty fair facial resemblance, especially the cheekbones and nose.

Attachments

• windy point JD and Kimberly Thompson.png
    windy point JD and Kimberly Thompson.png
    65.4 KB · Views: 39
NamUs UP 15551

https://identifyus.org/en/cases/15551

Unidentified White Female

Body Condition: Not recognizable - partial skeletal parts only

Probable year of death 1992 to 1993

Estimated postmortem interval: 18 months

Vital Statistics

Estimated age: 35-45
Approximate Height: 64 estimate.
Approximate Weight: cannot estimate.
Hair Color: brown reddish
Eye Color: brown;
The hair found on scene appears to be redish brown in color and 8 to 10 inches in lenght.
Skeletal findings: Temporo- Mandibular Joint Syndrome (TMJ) ; Scoliosis and Lateral Kyphosis of the spine.

Clothing & Accessories

Clothing: a belt

Footwear: nothing

Accessories: nothing

Identifiers
Fingerprints: Fingerprint information is currently not available
Dentals: Dental information is available and entered
DNA: Sample submitted-Tests complete

Case History
On July 7, 1994, hikers found human remains to include a skull and mandible. The items were turned over to Montrose County Sheriff’s Office Investigator Mike Wiggins on July 7, 1994. The area where the skull was located is a remote, high mountain forest. An extensive search of the area where the items were located resulted in the finding of several bones and bone fragments that had been extensively damaged by bears, coyotes and other scavenging animals. A belt was also found at the scene but no clothing, jewelry or other items were found to aid in the identification of the skeletal remains.

http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/642ufco.html

The Doe Network

642UFCO_2.jpg
642UFCO_3.jpg
642UFCO_4.jpg
642UFCO.jpg
642UFCO_1.jpg

Artistic renderings of the victim

Unidentified Female

Date of Discovery: July 7, 1994
Location of Discovery: Montrose County, Colorado
Estimated Date of Death: 6-12 months prior
State of Remains: Skeletal
Cause of Death: Homicide
Physical Description

** Listed information is approximate

Estimated Age: 35-40 years old
Race: White
Height: 5'4" to 5'7"
Weight: Unknown
Hair Color: Reddish-brown or auburn
Eye Color: Unknown
Distinguishing Marks/Features: She suffered from temporomandibular joint syndrome. Her spine showed signs of scoliosis.
Dentals: Available. Some of the teeth were missing because they'd been pulled by a dentist, while others fell out after death. She had a gold molar and full-cast gold crown, as well as multiple dental artifacts.
Fingerprints: Not available.
DNA: Unknown.
Clothing & Personal Items

Clothing: Part of a woman's black vinyl belt was discovered near the bones. It was the only clothing item found.
Jewelry: Unknown
Additional Personal Items: Unknown
Case History

The victim's skeletal remains were located by hikers near the Smokehouse Campground on U.S. Forest Service Road 402 (Divide Road) on July 7, 1994. The area is commonly called "Windy Point," thus her nickname Jane Doe of Windy Point.
The skull was delivered to authorities in a plastic spring water bucket. It showed marked mummification with adherence of tissue to both the internal and external portions of the skull and about the base and face. Searchers recovered an intact humerus and intact scapula, with mummified tissues. There were also portions of spinal cord and the right pelvis, and multiple bone fragments.
No antemortem trauma could be identified based on the existing remains. The remains sustained carnivore damage. No identification was found near the remains. The medical examiner whose officer conducted the forensic facial reconstruction from her skull found no useful trace evidence.
The cause and manner of death are forensically undetermined, but some law enforcement officers suspect foul play. Investigators believe the woman was slain at another location, brought to Windy Point possibly in the fall of 1993 and then covered with tree limbs to conceal her whereabouts.
Investigating Agency(s)

If you have any information about this case please contact;Agency Name: Montrose County Sheriff's Office
Agency Contact Person: N/A
Agency Phone Number: 970-252-4023
Agency Name: Montrose County Coroner's Office
Agency Contact Person: Dr. Thomas Canfield or Inv. David G. Harrison
Agency Phone Number: 970-249-7755

Agency Case Number: LE: 94-01703
NCIC Case Number: N/A
NamUs Case Number: Not listed
Please refer to this number when contacting any agency with information regarding this case.
Information Source(s)

Colorado Bureau of Investigations
Montrose County Coroner's Office
The Montrose Press News Archive
The Denver Post News Archive

<removed defunct link>

Exclusions
The following people have been ruled out as being this decedent:

First Name Last Name Year of Birth State LKA

Marie Blee 1964 Colorado
Rebecca Kellison 1954 Colorado