CO CO - Roger Ellison, 17, Cedaredge, 10 Feb 1981 #2

Discussion in '1980's Missing' started by Cubby, Oct 31, 2010.

1. msmithca858

msmithca858 Member

Good point, however, the style is consistent with past postings from Mr. Pash over the past several years, of course, it could be the same individual

ThePhantom likes this.

2. Mom24

Mom24 Well-Known Member

And those several posts over several years were made by an anonymous person over the internet and an unverified poster. If you'll notice, mindhunter is verified (notation under their name), JPash was not. Typically admin won't let someone claim they're an insider unless they've been verified. Same with the poster who claimed to be Roger's sister, that poster was also unverified, not that they gave any info or answered any questions anyway.

3. noodler2

noodler2 Former Member

"Verified poster" was a concept not yet codified in 2009, at least to the degree it is today. JPash was clearly accepted as being Roger's former teacher (see Thread 1, #121's, entry by retired WS staffer christine2448 et al.); also, note that Roger's sister, posting as silver1sb, was never denoted a verified poster, yet was also clearly accepted as such. Yesterday's rules are not necessarily today's.

These two were, I am sure, repectively, Roger's former teacher, and Roger's sister.

4. Mom24

Mom24 Well-Known Member

According to Ancestry there were four brothers and one sister. His sister Rebecca is deceased as is his brother Floyd (died the day he was born), other brothers are listed as William, Robert and Roy.

inmyhumbleopinion likes this.
  5. rosesfromangels

rosesfromangels Amateur speculations and opinion only

Your points are well taken Noodler, and you could very well be right. However, i do weight the remarks of verified insiders much differently.

Perhaps Mr P will get verified and re?)join us with the hope to finally bring this case to closure. Forensics have come a long way since the subject disappeared.

6. Mom24

Mom24 Well-Known Member

In that they were never verified, I question them. It's the difference between fact and rumor.

7. noodler2

noodler2 Former Member

JPash was also accepted to be John Pash, ex-social studies teacher and wrestling coach at Cedaredge High School, by no less than the late Lori Cumpston Harrison, a reporter and former classmate of Roger Ellison, who blogged about Roger at Help crack a cold case.

Do you also question Roger's sister posting as silver1sb?

8. sillybilly

sillybilly WS Administrator Staff Member Administrator Moderator

Stop the bickering as to whether someone is or is not a VI. Discuss the case instead of each other.

IF a member is not verified, they are required to post links to what they state as fact. If they are verified, they do not have to provide links to what they state as fact, but it is up to the members whether they believe such statements.

Discuss the case according to Websleuths current TOS, and do not argue on thread about other members or discuss them as if they weren't here.

Thanks.

9. Waterdog

Waterdog Well-Known Member

Ahh, gotcha about them being poachers not hunters.

10. MindHunter13

MindHunter13 Verified Forensic Psychology Expert

Actually, it could very well have been hunting season. Poachers are those who hunt game that is currently out of season. It doesnt mean hunting as a whole is not taking place. There are several different "seasons".

inmyhumbleopinion and Waterdog like this.
  11. Alleykins

Alleykins Well-Known Member

We have several different seasons for hunting here, too.

12. MindHunter13

MindHunter13 Verified Forensic Psychology Expert

I live in the general area of where this happened so wanted to make sure it was pointed out that while the "poachers" may have seen something, it doesn't mean it was outside of a recognized hunting season. It just means these guys were out hunting for something that wasn't permissible at that time.

13. Waterdog

I believe someone else said it wasn't hunting season for this area on the day he disappeared (of course, I don't know for sure.) My husband is a hunter, different state, and while I know he's hunted in cold weather I don't recall him ever doing so in foggy and sleeting weather. I don't remember off the top of my head but I caught where someone said the poachers witnessed this incident in April/May after Roger
    disappeared. I don't know what's true.
    FWIW, I was thinking poaching as in hunting without a license not so much hunting out of season. Anyway, this doesn't matter to me as much as wanting to know when. In mid February sometime is more believable than in April or May, 3 months after the fact. ;)

Last edited: Aug 31, 2018
    inmyhumbleopinion and j_in_c like this.
  14. Mom24

Mom24 Well-Known Member

Has the original detective on the case ever been contacted?

inmyhumbleopinion and cherrymeg like this.
  15. Spartygirl

Spartygirl Verified Insider - Michael Vanzandt case

Just a word on Poaching.. not only can it mean hunting animals not currently in season, It can also mean Hunting on PROPERTY WITHOUT LEGAL PERMISSON to be on that property. They could have not had the right to be on that particular property that day and that would be poaching. FWIW

16. Waterdog

Thanks, Spartygirl. I was thinking that too. None of it is a good enough reason in my
    minc not to call the police. Unless, who they saw was a policeman. How can someone in this small town have so much power to keep someone from doing the right thing? I know I couldn’t live with myself if I didn’t!

17. crhedBngr

crhedBngr Well-Known Member

Also, doesn't one need a license to hunt? Can poaching take place by hunters who didn't purchase a hunting license?

inmyhumbleopinion and Spartygirl like this.
  18. Spartygirl

Basically, poaching is hunting on property that you do not have legal rights or permission to be on. Hunting without a license gets you in trouble with the law and DNR but not necessarily called poaching.
    My husband has been a hunter all of his life and we have come across a few poachers over the years on our hunting property. Not only did they not have permission to be there, it is really dangerous to be out in woods where there are other hunters who are invited out with us and we all know what spot they are hunting from for safety reasons. Then you have someone who is NOT supposed to be there risking being shot or shooting someone as nobody knew they were there. We strategically placed hunting sheds, tree stands etc so everyone that went had a spot and we all knew where each person was at, legally and for safety.

19. Spartygirl

Or they did NOT have permission to be on that particular property.

20. lgr

lgr New Member

Google says rifle-hunting seasons (for big game) in Colorado (in 2018) range from August 1 to November 18. And, the poachers self-identified as poachers, so they pretty much placed themselves in the woods in cold weather but not within the time of year thought of as "hunting season". Plus, the poachers themselves clearly connected the young man in restraints to Roger, so that in itself suggests they saw this at around the time Roger disappeared. If they saw what they saw six months before or after Roger's disappearance, or if it was a middle-aged woman being held, say, perhaps they would not have connected the two events. I guess what I'm laboring to say is, there had to be at least several factors that caused the poachers to associate Roger's disappearance with the sight of a young man held hostage in the woods by a gun-wielding person.

I still believe the poachers were particularly freaked out by what they saw because they recognized the person who was holding the gun. To add to the freakiness, it was not the local homeless guy: it was the president of the local bank or someone else who would fall into the "upstanding" category.