GUILTY CO - Shanann Watts (34), Celeste"Cece" (3) and Bella (4), Frederick, 13 Aug 2018 *CW LWOP* #73

Discussion in 'Recently Sentenced and Beyond' started by ColoGirl, Aug 16, 2018.

1. NuttMegg

NuttMegg Well-Known Member

Dbm

Last edited: Oct 6, 2020

2. 7SJ707

7SJ707 Active Member

Apologies stand corrected got mixed up with the bank balance- remember thinking wow 1800 that must have been one hell of a night....

3. Nikynoo

Nikynoo Verified Attorney - United Kingdom

No, they did not.

4. Nikynoo

I don't see how. My understanding is that they were not allowed to visit him before his guilty plea. I'll see if I can find the court documents to support this.

A very closely monitored meeting before the hearing.
    see - https://www.courts.state.co.us/userfiles/file/Court_Probation/19th_Judicial_District/LETTER TO COURT.pdf

I would also like to remind posters that the paternal grandparents were granted victim status by the court - https://www.courts.state.co.us/userfiles/file/Court_Probation/19th_Judicial_District/ORDER CONCERNING VICTIM RIGHTS FOR PATERNAL GRANDPARENTS C-26.pdf

I am very interested to know when these meetings took place, so thank you for the heads up!

HayLouise, kkdj, misgrn and 3 others like this.
  5. NuttMegg

My own recollection is that Chris would not talk to the family that whole time between his first confession on about August 15 and the plea deal in November. IE his choice. And, that while in jail he had nearly accepted a call from his father, or had been cut off and not returned the call, or had missed that call altogether.
    Then, the family each got 1/2 hour of live screen time with him before the sentencing, according to my recollection. If he had wanted to change his mind, that would have been plenty of time. The gory, grisly, unfathomable details of what he did to his family he related in detail later. IIRC he did not even tell his own family before he met with CBI, FBI, Frederick Police to drop the bombshell that he had taken the girls alive to the tanks, nearly an hour drive, to snuff their lives out just a few minutes before stuffing them, while still warm, into the tanks. And that he had perched them with their feet on top of their dead mother in the back seat of the truck, and that Bella had claimed that something smelled badly.
    As far as I know the only way he can appeal now is to claim inadequate representation, whatever the correct term is. However, IIRC, if he were able to finagle an appeal on those grounds, then all correspondence, paperwork, and recorded conversations between him and those attorneys would be open to discovery. Including, most likely, the confession he made to his attorneys in early September, per his recorded interview on Feb 18 2019 with CBI, FBI, and Frederick police. He said, after confessing to his public defenders in early September 2018, they told him they would fight for him in any way he wanted, ie to trial, but he decided to accept the plea deal to avoid the death penalty.

6. mickey2942

mickey2942 Well-Known Member

Fine, let him appeal. Give him a trial.. Probably will be the quickest verdict of "guilty", in the history of jury deliberations. And a record breaking time for a death penalty decision.

Even people who don't believe in the death penalty, Probably won't have a problem with this one. He admits he killed his family. No question about guilt. He killed his two daughters, under the age of four. The most defenseless, children.

Having his hottie GF on the stand, asking her about the sexy pictures she sent to him, should go over well with the jury.

7. NuttMegg

I don't think they can still give the DP in Colorado, someone local could clear that up. I just don't see how he could get off. Presumably the FBI/CBI have saved the taped confession-interview from Feb 2019.
    I doubt he would even squirm in court, seeing the videos of how his children looked after he desecrated them.

PommyMommy, misgrn, 7SJ707 and 5 others like this.
  8. Nikynoo

I think the DA made it quite clear that eventhough Colorado has the Death Penalty, it would never be used - I suppose they can always make an exception, who knows. Even if the DP was given, there would be years and years of appeals and this would never be over. I have my doubts about the appeal thing BTW.

9. Specklesoffreckles

Specklesoffreckles New Member

I don't know if this has already been discussed but in the Netflix documentary, in the scene where the first police officer is talking to Chris in his home- when they FIRST start looking and questioning him, the camera pans to the back green room and you can see a child in there... did anyone notice this? It happens at around 7 minutes

10. mickey2942

I think that child is the child of the friend of Shanann's, who insisted on the "well check" for Shanann. It is pretty amazing, I think that she must have had some sense about Shanann. I don't think that I have any friends who would be that insistent for a "well check" for me, the absolute same day I was missing.

11. dgfred

dgfred Well-Known Member

Yes... that is the kid of the friend. Very brave that day... both of them.

12. MsBetsy

MsBetsy Well-Known Member

Nickole's son was pretty amazing, too. He was the one who found Shanann's cellphone hidden under a pillow on the couch. In the video you can see the guilt on Chris's face, and the suspicion in Nickole's eyes when she glances at him after her son hands her the phone.

Utsarah, Kittybunny, kkdj and 16 others like this.
  13. mickey2942

What a helpful child! I am sure that CW was just totally freaking out. He wasn't ready for the police department that fast. Or for the neighbor to basically have every move he made on video.

14. lonetraveler

lonetraveler Crime Addict

I'm watching American Murder, it is covering the Chris Watts Case. Wow, is all I can say right now. If you have been following this case, you absolutely need to watch this episode.

15. lonetraveler

Is it just me or does Chris's girlfriend seem totally uncaring and almost flippant while talking about Shanann and the little girls?

16. lonetraveler

I realize that I'm a bit late to the game. I followed this case from the beginning until the end of the trial. I left it because I was so disgusted and sick at what Chris Watts had done. I decided to watch this American Murder because it reportedly had much more details. Yes, it did. And now, I feel even more sick and disgusted than before.

EvaGreen, minusfour, CalmSeas and 4 others like this.
  17. oviedo

oviedo Well-Known Member

I felt the same way and then saw her pics that she posted and felt she was self absorbed and she probably didn’t care IMO

I could not follow here because of the treatment she received - I’ve now watched it twice and pick up new things each time so will likely watch it again- even now, some continue to criticize her and it is so unfair
    JMO

LeeAnnB, misgrn, CalmSeas and 6 others like this.
  18. they'll get you

they'll get you CHRIS. P. BACON

OCTOBER 7, 202012:43PM

Killer dad Chris Watts reveals sick details of how he murdered his family

Chris Watts has revealed the grisly details of exactly how he killed his pregnant wife and two daughters in a letter from prison.
    Killer dad Chris Watts revealed grisly details of his pregnant wife’s murder in a bombshell prison letter, according to reports.

Watts, 35, reportedly detailed the gruesome slaying of Shanann Watts in one of his prison letters – and he also revealed that he’d been thinking about killing her for “weeks.”, The Sun reports.
    He reportedly wrote that he surreptitiously gave Shanann the opiate painkiller Oxycodone to kill their unborn child, telling Cadle: “I thought it would be easier to be with Nichol if Shanann wasn’t pregnant.”

Describing her death, Watts wrote: “When she started to get drowsy, I somehow knew how to squeeze the jugular veins until it cut off the blood flow to her brain, and she passed out.”
    “I knew if I took my hands off of her, she would still keep me from Nikki. They asked me why she couldn’t fight back, it’s because she couldn’t fight back.
    Killer dad reveals sick details of murders

HayLouise, minusfour, kkdj and 7 others like this.
  19. they'll get you

they'll get you CHRIS. P. BACON

20. NuttMegg

Crude in Bella's stomach, but they are reporting the rest of the autopsy incorrectly, imo.

HayLouise, MsBetsy, misgrn and 5 others like this.