CO CO - Shawny Lee Smith, 32, raped and beaten to death, Weld County, 8 Feb 2003

Discussion in 'Cold Cases' started by Cj2418, Jun 17, 2020.

1. Cj2418

Cj2418 New Member

Shawny Lee Smith was beaten, raped, and left for dead in 2003. She was living in Cheyenne WY but her body was found by a rancher just over the state line in Colorado. Her case remains unsolved today. She is family and it hurts me to know her killer is out there unpunished. I can't find any pictures of her and have no contact with immediate family.

2. Wowno17

Wowno17 Well-Known Member

I'm very sorry for your loss and this lady injustice.

You will need to provide an MSM link otherwise I think the thread will be closed.

Also a date of birth?

MOO

Reasonable & Just and 0101ABA like this.
  3. Cj2418

Cj2418 New Member

Reasonable & Just and Wowno17 like this.
  4. Daisy1980

Daisy1980 Well-Known Member

5. Cj2418

Cj2418 New Member

I've looked online in depth and can't find much about her case. There's only about 9 links that come up, most say the same thing. I know they have DNA somewhere, I just don't know if it's been tested recently or any details about it.

Reasonable & Just likes this.
  6. Daisy1980

Casper Star-Tribune from Casper, Wyoming on February 23, 2003 · 13

Police ask for help in death CHEYENNE - Laramie County sheriff's officials have asked the public for help in their investigation of the murder of a mother of two. The body of Shawny Smith, 32. was found by a rancher Feb. 8 just south of the Colorado line. Results of an autopsy were still pending, but officials have Mid she may have been sexually assaulted. Sheriffs officials want the public's help in finding the clothes they believe Smith was wearing at the time of her death. Items of interest include a dark bhie, thigh length "FUBU" brand jacket, a pair of brown "Sketchers" ankle shoes, a pair of white logics and a pair of jeans. Smith's drivers license could be in one of the back pockets, sheriff's Det Steve Reese said. Reese said detectives have collected evidence and interviewed several people in their investigation but rovided few details abOUl the crime. Smith lived in a mobile home in the Wetl Winds Trailer Park, which lias been the scene of domestic violence, stabbings, arson, gun threats, attempted murder and drug arrests.

Reasonable & Just and Cj2418 like this.
  7. Daisy1980

8. 0101ABA

0101ABA Former Member

I have a friend from childhood who is a reporter for Casper Star Tribune. I can see if he or a colleague would be willing to write an article featuring Shawny. I’m doubtful after all of this time any new information would come to light, but even just bringing visibility to her name would be a (small) step in the right direction.

Reasonable & Just and Wowno17 like this.
  9. Cj2418

Cj2418 New Member

That would be amazing! I know both her parents have passed and like I said before, I do not have any contact with her immediate family. My father is a first cousin but she tended to run with a dangerous crowd so we were never around that side of the family too much. I found a really good podcast about her case that was aired on March 29th so that was really cool. It's just heart breaking to me that she suffered so greatly and I can't even find a picture of her. Nobody deserves to be forgotten like she has been. I didn't know Shawny but something about her being family makes check into her case non stop.
    https://player.fm/series/true-crime.../shawny-lee-smith-and-jamie-christopher-kamai

Reasonable & Just and 0101ABA like this.
  10. Cj2418

Cj2418 New Member

I know she ran with a dangerous crowd. Drugs were definitely involved because they found cocaine in her urine but not her blood. There was also alcohol in her system when she was killed as well. She was beaten, raped and left for dead. She had broken bones in her neck and her jaw was broken in two places. She had bruises and lacerations all over her body and the medical examiner said that she was the worst case of beating he's ever seen.

Reasonable & Just likes this.
  11. CastlesBurning

CastlesBurning Well-Known Member