CO - Sol Pais, Threats to Columbine High and 20 other schools

Discussion in 'Up to the Minute' started by Pi Thoughts, Apr 16, 2019.

1. TatianaBarbie

TatianaBarbie Well-Known Member

2. Only4Justice

Only4Justice Well-Known Member

Thanks, @gitana1. Excellent post.

3. Only4Justice

I was thinking that too. Could be her mother in the pics imo

Hatfield, kkdj and x_files like this.
  4. Only4Justice

Absolutely. I work with a man who used to be with the SS. He went to Columbine after the event. It’s horrific what he saw.

5. Only4Justice

IMO it all comes down to mental
    Health. And drugs.

Hatfield, Subiechik21 and x_files like this.
  6. SeesSeas

SeesSeas FLORIDIAN

Pais - whose online handle is "Dissolved Girl" . . .
    Florida woman who threatened Columbine High School is dead, FBI...

By Washington Post Today at 9:50 a.m.
    DENVER - The frantic hunt for an armed young woman who threatened Columbine High ended Wednesday near the base of a mountain 40 miles west of the school. Sol Pais, an 18-year-old who was the target of a nearly 20-hour manhunt, was found dead of an apparent self-inflicted gunshot wound, authorities said.
    [...]
    Online postings and a journal that appear to have been written by Pais indicate that in the last year she's been grappling with a heightened sense of isolation and anger.

In an entry dated January 15, Pais - whose online handle is "Dissolved Girl" - hinted that she might carry out an attack. "My views and thoughts [are] becoming more extreme and solidified as time goes by," she wrote on her personal web site's diary. "I feel like a pot of scolding water on the verge of boiling over."

In late March, Pais wrote on the website of the National Gun Forum, asking how she could acquire a weapon in Colorado if she lived in another state.

"Hello everybody," she wrote. "Florida resident here. I am planning a trip to Colorado in the next month or so and wanna buy a shotgun while I'm there and I was wondering what restrictions would apply for me? I've found a few private sellers I might want to purchase from... Thank you for reading, I appreciate your response!"
    [...]
    Pais purchased three one-way plane tickets from Miami to Denver, for April 15, 16 and 17, said Dean Phillips, the special agent in charge of the Denver FBI office, in a Wednesday press briefing. She boarded a plane on Monday. Pais landed in Colorado later that day, Phillips said, and went looking for a weapon. The owner of Colorado Gun Broker, a shop two miles away from the high school, confirmed on Wednesday that his store sold Pais the shotgun two days earlier.

"We had no reason to suspect she was a threat to either herself or anyone else," said the shop owner, Josh Rayburn, in a Facebook post. Rayburn said that Pais passed a "full background check" and cleared the FBI's warning system. "We are very sorry to hear of the outcome in this situation," he said. "It is never good when someone loses their life."

Authorities believe Pais then traveled to the foothills of Mount Evans, where an Uber driver dropped her off. The car's driver told the FBI that Pais hadn't said anything suspicious during the ride, Phillips said at the briefing.That was the last time she was seen.After she got out of the car, Pais traveled about a half mile down a foot trail near the base of the mountain, said Rick Albers, the sheriff of Clear Creek County, about 30 minutes west of Denver. She then veered from the trail to walk uphill through a snow-packed forest of pine trees. When Albers and other law enforcement officers found her body, at around 10:50 local time Wednesday morning, she was dead from a self-inflicted gun shot. She was wearing a black shirt, a multi-colored plaid jacket, and camouflage pants. Her weapon was found close to her body.
    [...]

7. MsFacetious

MsFacetious What a Kerfuffle...

I am sorry you were so troubled young lady. However, thank you for not taking anyone else with you. Your family will struggle to mourn you but they won't have to carry the weight of you being a murderer too. So thank you.

8. Inthedetails

Inthedetails Well-Known Member

Snipped.

So she was not naked when she died. Where in the world did that report come from?

jmo

9. Jinkasaurus

Jinkasaurus Well-Known Member

I posted this in the thread about the thwarted mass shooting that was to occur at the Halifax mall.

In that case, the three people involved were obsessed with Columbine.

A Canadian podcaster has done a five-part series on the case, and it includes an interview with the American woman who is now in prison in Canada.

There are undoubtedly many similarities between her and the girl in this case.

This page has all the episodes- The Night Time Podcast Episodes — The Nighttime Podcast scroll down to 2/5/19 for the first one. You can also listen via a podcast app - its the Night Time Podcast.

---

This article is a few years old, but its a good read about what techniques are being used to identify these people before they commit their crimes - Inside the race to stop the next mass shooter

10. LadyL

LadyL Well-Known Member

I just scanned the whole thread and didn't see this answered anywhere. Why would she buy three one-way airline tickets for three consecutive days???

Pais purchased three one-way plane tickets from Miami to Denver, for April 15, 16 and 17, said Dean Phillips, the special agent in charge of the Denver FBI office, in a Wednesday press briefing.

Florida woman who threatened Columbine High School is dead, FBI...

Indy Anna, x_files, Hatfield and 2 others like this.
  11. MsFacetious

MsFacetious What a Kerfuffle...

My guess is back up plans. If a flight got cancelled, or if she missed a flight her plan wouldn't fail completely. It's not abnormal to make multiple flights, if you aren't sure what day you will leave.

Though, this is certainly more likely when you are using miles and can be refunded without penalty. To buy 3 non refundable one way tickets on consecutive days would be much stranger.

I'm surprised she didn't wait until the anniversary to do this.

12. Seattle1

Seattle1 #LiveLikeLizzy

By all accounts, Dad was performing in bands in Florida early 90's, and SP was born in the US -- attending elementary, middle, and HS in Surfside, Florida as reported by neighbors and friends. No reason for her age to be fabricated. I wouldn't be surprised if photo being circulated was her Mum-- Doesn't look like an 18 year old! MOO

Indy Anna, x_files, Hatfield and 2 others like this.
  13. kkdj

kkdj Well-Known Member

I wondered the same thing. I think, since she was a teen and living at home, she set it up so if one day didn’t work out the next day might, or the next day. She was determined imo.

Indy Anna, Subiechik21, LadyL and 4 others like this.
  14. kkdj

kkdj Well-Known Member

I think this is more than likely correct. It’s probably her mom. Jmo

15. SharonNeedles

SharonNeedles Verified No Filter

After skimming though her journal (hard reading for me, her handwriting is difficult to decipher) I’m getting a picture of a really tortured young lady spiraling down into a frightening suicidal depression - but I’m not seeing her project that on others. I don’t at all see anything to indicate she might be a threat to anyone but herself, and I don’t see any reference to Columbine. Not even close.

Not sure why she went to Colorado, but it’s obvious to me that she was on a mission to end her life there - exactly where and how she did. Which isn’t even really all that close to Columbine.

Question: has anybody seen anything to suggest she was even familiar with what happened at Columbine? Is there even a connection?

It’s sad beyond words how bad everybody failed this girl.

16. Angela_Beckett

Angela_Beckett Lurker Extraordinaire

Have we learn who reported the alleged threats? Been reading her alleged blog. Her posts talk of isolation. Anxiety and feeling out of place. I haven’t found anything that may point toward a possible attack to Columbine specifically.

A tragedy really. Good no one else got hurt.

17. Angela_Beckett

Angela_Beckett Lurker Extraordinaire

I just posted almost the same as you.
    After reading her journal I believe she was planning suicide, what she finally did. So sad, poor girl

18. SharonNeedles

SharonNeedles Verified No Filter

I don’t doubt there was a Columbine connection... Lots of places to buy guns in the area and she just happened to go to one just 1.7 miles from Columbine High School a few days before the anniversary? But I question whether the connection she felt with the shooters or the victims. In her own mind she was already dead before she even got to Colorado.

19. K9Enzo

K9Enzo Well-Known Member

I believe the FBI agent said in the press conference yesterday she had made disturbing comments about Columbine to family and friends. I also believe her parents reported her missing which of course would start a LE conversation about her and what she had been up to prior to taking off.

20. x_files

x_files Well-Known Member

She refers to Columbine on her personal blogs/online journals and websites. I'm sorry I misread your comment. Please disregard!

Subiechik21 and LadyL like this.