Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, Chaffee Co, 10 May 2020 #80 *arrest*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Per AM (SM’s brother) as discussed in PE, SM was very much planning on attending the virtual wedding of her BFF’s daughter(SO) scheduled for Sunday. There were text conversations (? Not sure if it was FB messenger) btw SM & SO according to AM on Saturday, May 9, 2020. Initially AM said the conversation was abruptly ended. Of course, SM didn’t attend the virtual wedding of BFF’s daughter on MD. We later learned in the PH, SM had conversations with JL that day. Prosecution hasn’t disclosed messages btw SM & SO dated May 9, yet. Iirc. Not to say they didn’t happen moo. I think this is right video. I know it’s in the media links.

So is it your take that both conversations were interrupted? Is there any special significance to the conversation with SO in terms of the murder prosecution?

NoSI’s notes about the dart mentioned “can euthanize with syringe in kit”.

If I’m sitting on a jury and had heard already heard about the staged bike ride, the trash runs, SM going radio silent Saturday, etc., then heard those words… euthanize..…. then he is done. Stick a fork in him.

As always, a terrific and introspective comment. Sorry to hear of your Aunt's so dying. :(

Thank you, MaryLamby. You have had some absolutely extraordinary and insightful posts in the past few days here (you're on a roll).

At least my aunt (who is very dear to me and almost my last remaining one) had 20 or more good years with that fellow (who always felt very embarrassed by the way that they met and what had happened).

Francis Bach at :34 seconds said he saw the car up on the road.
Authorities cordon off home of missing Chaffee County woman | FOX31 Denver

Thank you! Yes - FB. I'm sure he's on the witness list.

LE found the accounts through a statement in her email account. They don't mention email date. Account opened in April.

@AshleyKKTV
and
@KKTV11News
Defense now asking SA Harris about a statement sent to #SuzanneMorphew email about her alleged secret bank account. It was a GreenDot account. Defense says you can access the account and withdraw money without having to go to a bank.
@KKTV11News

9:01 AM · Aug 10, 2021

@LaurenScharfTV
In April, #SuzanneMorphew opened up an account with GreenDot bank and Royal Compass Management. Eytan asked Agent Harris he had looked into this and he said he hadn't. The state is now asking Agent Harris more questions.

9:03 AM · Aug 10, 2021

So it's possible Barry knew about the account - if he had any inkling of her email address. How much snooping did Barry do?

Someone surely "looked into it" and Eytan is going to have to figure out the roadmap here, on her own - the State has no obligation to provide a map. I have no sympathy for Eytan in terms of the avalanche of paper/data that the prosecution continues to provide (it will increase as trial approaches). Barry needs to pay her to go through all of this (especially since he "can't recall" how to guide her through it).

Until he runs out of money.

NoSI’s notes about the dart mentioned “can euthanize with syringe in kit”.

If I’m sitting on a jury and had heard already heard about the staged bike ride, the trash runs, SM going radio silent Saturday, etc., then heard those words… euthanize..…. then he is done. Stick a fork in him.
I believe that's probably what gave the DA's office the confidence to move forward with first-degree murder charges. What better defines extreme indifference to human life than euthanize your wife with a syringe kit. MOO

BM was a control freak. What she could do and what she could wear - via the spy pen. This wasn't new.
The reason this was even a thing was due to her lack of compliance to his wishes. This would not have been an issue if she'd 'behaved' as she normally would have - per his wishes. She'd had it and wasn't having it any longer, thus the recent argument.
He'd lost his control and wasn't taking it well, to say the least.
I do believe Suzanne did all of the business paperwork (or so she thought) but I'll bet my relatively new car that he looked over every single invoice, both accounts payable and receivable and, as I've said, every single receipt she spent HIS money on, including groceries etc even though they were living in a house that she bought but he felt entitled to because she was HIS wife, his property. All part of his plan but she wasn't having it anymore.
Probably the stack of papers he brought to the hotel was all business related. I personally think the grinch portrayal is a stretch. I highly doubt Suzanne was begging for money from Barry.

Macy probably knows if the MB door was broken prior too 5/9.

Did the Morphews have a light housekeeping help?

I didn't get that there was any evidence to allege that the master bedroom door frame was fractured on May 9-10 but rather that the state wanted it on the record that sometime during their residency, the door was forced open and the door lock no longer operable and/or secure. I think there were probably several incidents of unrest in that home including the night SM was allegedly pinned to the floor by BM. It was important enough that investigators contacted the previous owners to confirm the broken door frame did not exist prior to BM/SM purchase (two years earlier). MOO

Probably the stack of papers he brought to the hotel was all business related. I personally think the grinch portrayal is a stretch. I highly doubt Suzanne was begging for money from Barry.

Who is saying that Suzanne was begging for money from Barry? I'm completely confused. Barry himself ("I am the ATM") is leaving us with the impression that he controlled the money (and surely Suzanne didn't have a steady outside source of income?)

I'm guessing the stack of papers was previously stored in two pendaflex folders whose remains were found in the fireplace. Why would Barry be lugging business-related papers into a hotel for a brief stay in which he mostly cleaned his body (apparently), went twice to the job site, and went dumping trash? Surely he could have done this easier at home (where the accounting usually took place)? It would only have taken 20 minutes. At any rate, are you buying that's why he went so early to Broomfield? To organize his papers and clean out his truck?

It was a messy set of papers loosely held inside a large binder (according to LS). Then, about 20 minutes later, it was organized. We have no clue what those papers were, other than that Barry quickly organized them and took them back to the truck.

Barry himself says he's a cheapskate. He says he didn't like to pay for trash pick-up, so he used someone else's (who paid for it). He says Suzanne didn't have an ATM card. He took a contract to build an (expensive) retaining wall for the State of Colorado, botched it, and never fixed it (they weren't going to pay him more - I'm surprised they haven't sued him as someone else had to do it and the State of CO footed the bill). Why didn't Barry go ahead and arrange for the job to be done? Because he wasn't getting paid.

He was busy buying a new truck. Selling off an old Range Rover. Taking control of his wife's assets. He had time for that, but not to fulfill his obligation on a high dollar contract he'd undertaken.

I am not painting him as a grinch (the Grinch is lovable, at least my granddaughter loves him).

When someone shows you who they are (skinflint, cheapskate), believe 'em.

Well, it goes to premeditation to incapacitate someone before killing them. Doubt he would shoot her with a tranquilizer just for the fun of it. If she'd regained consciousness, he'd have a whole lot of explaining to do.
I don't think anyone's that stupid.
Yeah I guess that was a really stupid post. It's not like anyone would incapacitate someone to rape them or do anything else to them. And who would be so stupid as to do multiple trash dumps in major parking lots? JMO.

Last edited:
I wouldn't be so sure. I for one do not want to hear about any of my partner's past lovers. That's a HUGE turnoff. Especially if time is precious. They would have spent time talking about anything BUT bM. Yes, he might be encouraging her to leave him if she wasn't happy but as far as her telling him in great detail all the things that made her miserable about bM, I don't see. And I say that with first hand knowledge of a couple of affairs I've had. You're more interested in your own courtship instead of exploring the negative aspects of past relationships. Nothing ruins the mood more than complaining about your soon to be Ex.
But she did complain about him…that she was left alone again.

I have followed this case from the beginning and am wondering if there is any possibility she ever considered he would murder her - it’s a specific question I have for Suzanne but so many women die at the hand of their husband/significant other - when do you know to warn a friend that their relationship may possibly end in their murder ?

Really? He himself told LE that HE was her ATM. Multiple people have said he was controlling.
I'm POSITIVE that the 'stack of papers he brought to the hotel' was relative to finances, deeds, insurance, bank accts.
Not sure I'd seen it described as a STACK before but I'm good with that.
What are you inferring? I'm I bit confused.
Why didn't she have her own ATM card? Why was she beholden to him for shared money in their partnership?
That's what a marriage is, a partnership.
Back to your question, why did she not have her own atm/debit card? That's the better question.
Can you please justify why she'd have to go to him for money?

Yeah I guess that was a really stupid post. It's not like anyone would incapacitate someone to rape them or do anything else to them. And who would be so stupid as to do multiple trash dumps in major parking lots? JMO.
Not a stupid post. I wonder what he did with her after she was either incapacitated or dead but I don't want to think about it.
IMO, he killed her and only he knows what happened. That's why I'd be game for a sentence of 30+ years if he'd give up the location of her body. Her family deserves to give her a proper burial.

I have followed this case from the beginning and am wondering if there is any possibility she ever considered he would murder her - it’s a specific question I have for Suzanne but so many women die at the hand of their husband/significant other - when do you know to warn a friend that their relationship may possibly end in their murder ?
As soon as you have that suspicion, whether that strains your friendship or not.

Ha, I was in Colorado a couple of times recently and you could almost do a crime tour in Boulder.

Ok, you guys... Starting to get a bit concerned about my home state. I pass right by Frederick and could easily detour to Boulder and then head to Colorado Springs and Woodland Park before finishing in Salida... :oops:

Oh... And can't forget Westminster, of course...:(

Last edited:
I'm guessing the stack of papers was previously stored in two pendaflex folders whose remains were found in the fireplace. Why would Barry be lugging business-related papers into a hotel for a brief stay in which he mostly cleaned his body (apparently), went twice to the job site, and went dumping trash? Surely he could have done this easier at home (where the accounting usually took place)? It would only have taken 20 minutes. At any rate, are you buying that's why he went so early to Broomfield? To organize his papers and clean out his truck?
^^RSBM

Both the business and the environment are not foreign to me and I had two thoughts when I read about the messy stack of papers entering the hotel with BM that soon appeared organized.

We previously learned from AM quizzing BM about his business practices that he also uses his home address for business. USPS mail addressed to PP is not delivered at the doorstep but at a row of postal boxes physically located on Hwy 50 near the entrance to their subdivision.

Just as SM was fearful of BM intercepting her spy pen mail, I'm sure BM is responsible for collecting the incoming mail that most likely gets heaped inside his vehicle /mobile office for a few days before he opens, sorts, and job-costs the invoices he wants to be paid before handing it over to SM. BM likes this system: SM never gets what he does not want her to see.

As for Sunday, I think BM had a little bit of both the mail and pending docs in his possession entering the hotel on Sunday. BM would have anticipated not being able to enter PP once SM was reported missing so he was duly prepared. We already know how not even allegedly killing your wife stops BM from wheeling and dealing. It's business as usual for that one. MOO

I agree on the phone. There is nothing that says Barry took her phone except conjecture. Same with the journal in the fireplace-conjecture. And why did they not find Suzanne’s meds that she had just filled? My point is simply that LE has a tough road ahead of them and anything they know defense knows. It is truly bizarre to think she might have bolted but I personally think the defense is on the 30 yard line in terms of proving she is deceased let alone Barry did it. I am a very patient person but the prosecution is giving me more frown wrinkled.

"It is truly bizarre to think she might have bolted but I personally think the defense is on the 30 yard line in terms of proving she is deceased let alone Barry did it."

So you think there is only a 30% of a chance of convincing a jury that she is deceased? What evidence is there that she somehow ran off, during the pandemic, taking nothing and making no calls about doing so?

Is there a 70% chance that the jurors will believe she ditched her oncology treatments, her daughters and her new boyfriend, and vanished into thin air?

The defense tried that charade in the Mollie Tibbetts murder too. Her blood and DNA was found in his car trunk, and he confessed to throwing her in his trunk when he abducted her. But at trial, the defense trotted out DNA from various items in his trunk, saying none of it was attributed to the killer/defendant. And it was smoke and mirrors because it didn't mean he didn't kill her. It just means other people had at some time touched things in his car trunk.

Just like the DNA profiles in Suzannes glove box. Big deal. Someone, sometime, touched something in there. Maybe a car detailer?
I was just going to post the same thing regarding the defense assertions in the Mollie Tibbets trial. I can’t imagine how many DNA profiles are in the trunk of my car. However, I wonder if such claims will cause reasonable doubt.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hannahdunnam