Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, Chaffee Co, 10 May 2020 #80 *arrest*

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mysti88c

Reaction score
A Chaffee County woman is missing after a neighbor said she went out for a bike ride Sunday and never returned
Chaffee County woman missing since Sunday after neighbor said she went out for bike ride

List of Case Players and Their Relationship to Discussion (Post #440)

————————————-
MEDIA, MAPS & TIMELINE *NO DISCUSSION*
Detailed timeline of events in the Morphew case:
CO - CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 , MEDIA, MAPS &TIMELINE *NO DISCUSSION*

—————————————
Suzanne Morphew Case Archive (developed and maintained by WS member AmandaReckonwith)
—————————————
Hearing Notes (Compliments of @NoSI)
Preliminary:
Day 1

————————————-
Suzanne Morphew FB page
Suzanne Morphew Twitter page

Verified Experts/Professionals/Insiders posting in this thread:

10ofRods is a Verified Anthropologist
Angleterre is a Verified LE from England
riolove77 is a Verified Attorney (prosecutor)
Alethea is a Verified Attorney (defense)
otto is a Verified Expert
Chomsky is a Verified Attorney
angelainwi is a Certified Trauma Counselor
gitana1 is a Verified Attorney
Cassidy is a Verified Attorney
lamlawindy is a Verified Attorney (former Prosecutor, now Defence)
NatureLover (Verified friend of the Moorman family)

Thread #41 Thread #42 Thread #43 Thread #44 Thread #45 Thread #46 Thread #47 Thread #48 Thread #49 Thread #50 Thread #51 Thread #52 Thread #53 Thread #54 Thread #55 Thread #56 Thread #57 Thread #58 Thread #59 Thread #60 Thread #61 Thread #62 Thread #63 Thread #64
Thread #65 Thread #66 Thread #67 Thread #68 Thread #69 Thread #70
Thread #71 Thread #72 Thread #73 Thread #74 Thread #75 Thread #76
Thread #77 Thread #78 Thread #79

Last edited by a moderator:
Please continue discussion here in accordance with The Rules:

Quick rundown of reminders from prior threads:

Rumors are not allowed.

Barry Morphew has been charged with Suzanne's murder and he and his businesses are open to sleuthing.

Do not sleuth or make accusations against anyone who is not an officially named POI/suspect.

If an approved source discusses rumors or family members, it is still NOT allowed to do so at Websleuths. WS has different standards.

Preview your posts to avoid broken quotes.

Lengthy personal anecdotes are off topic. Stay on topic.

Discuss the case and not each other; state your opinion and move one without arguing or bickering.

Random youtube videos or blogs are not allowed unless approval is given by Tricia or Admin.

Approved sources are MSM, LE, Profiling Evil podcast, Lauren Scharf podcast or social media, Investigation Discovery, Crimeonline, Tyson Draper (only the interview with Barry Morphew), public documents.

Do not discuss removed posts or question/challenge moderation on the thread. Doing so is subject to an automatic Time Out.

Last edited:
Don't you just love how Barry likes to shoot chipmunks when he's at home? Now when my dear hubby comes home from work, he likes to watch a bit of TV/read/potter in the garden - he's just weird that way! Many's the time I've said to him "For Pete's sake, can't you just go and shoot something?" :D

@NoSI
Thank you so much for making the trip, taking the notes, and assembling them for us. It's so much better than parsing through all the tweets.

The one thing that jumped out at me on my first read of your most recent notes post was this: "DNA mix of 2 individuals on cap with BM reportedly excluded". I don't think I knew this, but maybe I missed the tweets about it. Definitely not a great fact for the prosecution's tranquilizer dart theory.

@NoSI
Thank you so much for making the trip, taking the notes, and assembling them for us. It's so much better than parsing through all the tweets.

The one thing that jumped out at me on my first read of your most recent notes post was this: "DNA mix of 2 individuals on cap with BM reportedly excluded". I don't think I knew this, but maybe I missed the tweets about it. Definitely not a great fact for the prosecution's tranquilizer dart theory.

It's obfuscation. It means nothing and is literally the defense creating a shadow serial killer as the Real Killers™!

There isn't ANY relevant DNA in this investigation. Barry's DNA on the bike is also irrelevant, he is seen touching it in the body cam footage. A print under the seat has a little more weight but again, he was touching the bike at the scene.

The complete LACK of DNA in this case is much more damaging to BM than anything else. Why wasn't Barry's DNA in her RR? Does anyone seriously believe that he never drove her car? He never took it in for an oil change and a detailing? He's an appearances guy.

Do we know if LE pulled the geo/black-box data from Suzanne's car? It wasn't discussed at PH.

It's obfuscation. It means nothing and is literally the defense creating a shadow serial killer as the Real Killers™!

There isn't ANY relevant DNA in this investigation. Barry's DNA on the bike is also irrelevant, he is seen touching it in the body cam footage. A print under the seat has a little more weight but again, he was touching the bike at the scene.

The complete LACK of DNA in this case is much more damaging to BM than anything else. Why wasn't Barry's DNA in her RR? Does anyone seriously believe that he never drove her car? He never took it in for an oil change and a detailing? He's an appearances guy.

Do we know if LE pulled the geo/black-box data from Suzanne's car? It wasn't discussed at PH.
The lack of BM's dna on the dart cap means something for the premeditated murder charge. Especially if other dna is present. If the other dna is from LE personnel, then that's sort of explainable (though still not great) and the lack of BM's dna can be explained by the washing. But if it's unidentified...

Don't get me wrong, I think BM is guilty as sin based on the evidence of a cover-up and his own terrible explanations. But from the PH, I also think the prosecution's evidence of premeditation is pretty weak, and this would weaken it further.

I think JL's testimony for the state is going to be limited and specific to proof of life and verification of his non involvement. I don't put much weight in what JL told LE about not believing Barry had anything to do with Suzanne's disappearance. Neither did alot of people close to Suzanne, at first. The defense, OTOH, will spend alot of time with JL...
He is more useful to them than he is to the state. He helps to villify Suzanne; and reinforce Barry's victimhood.

I think JL's testimony for the state is going to be limited and specific to proof of life and verification of his non involvement. I don't put much weight in what JL told LE about not believing Barry had anything to do with Suzanne's disappearance. Neither did alot of people close to Suzanne, at first. The defense, OTOH, will spend alot of time with JL...
He is more useful to them than he is to the state. He helps to villify Suzanne; and reinforce Barry's victimhood.
I think he goes to motive for BM to have murdered her and motive for busting down the door. Plus premeditation since I believe he suspected or knew about an affair for some time and I think SM would have shared BM's rants of suspicion/accusations with JL. Imo the dart tranquilizers go to premed also.
I think SM shared a lot with JL about BM. I doubt the defense wants to bring out too much of what he knows.
moo

Here I sit, on the other side of the world, reading, and watching, and wondering. Where is Suzanne, surely she deserves to be laid to rest properly? What happened -did BM learn about the affair, did he understand the marriage really was over, what made him do it? And will it be possible to prove it? Every day, when I get home from work, I start reading. I hope we will get some answers in the trial. All over the world, we are waiting for answers.

My thoughts are that Suzanne must have spoken to JL about quite a bit of the situation with Barry, enough that he wanted to help her get out on her own. Paraphrasing here because I don’t have the link that mentions JL saying that.

The lack of BM's dna on the dart cap means something for the premeditated murder charge. Especially if other dna is present. If the other dna is from LE personnel, then that's sort of explainable (though still not great) and the lack of BM's dna can be explained by the washing. But if it's unidentified...

Don't get me wrong, I think BM is guilty as sin based on the evidence of a cover-up and his own terrible explanations. But from the PH, I also think the prosecution's evidence of premeditation is pretty weak, and this would weaken it further.
They need to contact the manufacturer and find out if the employees wear gloves anywhere along the production line. If not the DNA is uselessness.

I wonder what Barry said on his two calls to Cassidy in the afternoon on Mother’s Day. Did he ask Cassidy to come to Broomfield, or did Morgan?

If Barry realized there wasn’t much work to be done on the Broomfield wall (according to him), why didn’t he go home? He had a crew coming up that he would be paying for the work. Why did he lounge at the HIE and drive around dumping trash, instead of turning around and spending the rest of Mother’s Day with the love of his life? Why did it take JR’s phone call to make him come back?

@NoSI - once again, we are deeply grateful for your participation in the search, attendance at the PH, your amazing notes, and dedication to justice for Suzanne.

I had “Morphew AA” on my calendar for today, expecting to set aside time to discuss after its release. Boooo. :(

In the meantime, these items stood out to me from the May 9 notes:

11:14 AM: Password change on SMs Facebook. (I CANNOT REMEMBER THIS BUT WROTE IT DOWN)

^Did we know this? This seems important.

May 9, 2020 – 2:44 PM and 4:44 PM driver door closed, slight drift in latitude, but no evidence that the F350 moved.

^How did Barry go to Salida Spa during this time? Lie. He has some splainin’ to do.

My thoughts are that Suzanne must have spoken to JL about quite a bit of the situation with Barry, enough that he wanted to help her get out on her own. Paraphrasing here because I don’t have the link that mentions JL saying that.

I wouldn't be so sure. I for one do not want to hear about any of my partner's past lovers. That's a HUGE turnoff. Especially if time is precious. They would have spent time talking about anything BUT bM. Yes, he might be encouraging her to leave him if she wasn't happy but as far as her telling him in great detail all the things that made her miserable about bM, I don't see. And I say that with first hand knowledge of a couple of affairs I've had. You're more interested in your own courtship instead of exploring the negative aspects of past relationships. Nothing ruins the mood more than complaining about your soon to be Ex.

Bringing your post over from the last thread @MassGuy
CO - CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #79 *ARREST*

I too think that they wil go with the 'gone girl' defence. You mentioned no ID, what about obtaining a fake ID? I don't know how to go about getting one or whether its easy or not (perhaps CBD Tim could have help with this o_O).

Seriously though, fake ID and/or transport of some kind and living elsewhere within the US is a possible route I can see the defence possibly using. But realistically, would a defence really take this route, when they can use the SADDI defence?

I wouldn't be so sure. I for one do not want to hear about any of my partner's past lovers. That's a HUGE turnoff. Especially if time is precious. They would have spent time talking about anything BUT bM. Yes, he might be encouraging her to leave him if she wasn't happy but as far as her telling him in great detail all the things that made her miserable about bM, I don't see. And I say that with first hand knowledge of a couple of affairs I've had. You're more interested in your own courtship instead of exploring the negative aspects of past relationships. Nothing ruins the mood more than complaining about your soon to be Ex.
There is a difference between chatting about your ex, or soon to be ex, and sharing fears of abuse or instances of domestic violence. IMO.

I think there is a very real possibility that she confided her fears of Barry to JL.

I just wanted to do a quick write-up of what Linda Stanley appeared to be saying on PE this week. She was very upbeat and confident that at trial, we will be seeing a case against Barry Morphew that will result in his conviction.

The thing she mentioned that I thought was most interesting is that the DA's office didn't get the 4Tb of evidence any earlier than the defense did. Up until May 5, 2021 (date of Barry's arrest) the prosecution was not entitled to all the evidence. So, what they had were investigative reports (documents) from FBI, CBI and CCSO. She and her staff also had many conversations with those LE agencies, but the actual evidence and the accounts of all the witness interviews and the contents of all the search warrants were not available to her office until May 5. Apparently, this is so that the defense and the prosecution are more or less on equal footing.

Once the arrest occurs, the DA's office takes the investigation from LE and proceeds forward (and is responsible for providing all discovery to the defense, as we have seen. I believe she said something like "And we're still working hard to go over all of it and put it together."

My own take on this is that the DA's office thought there was enough for Proof Evident/Presumption Great (she talked about this at length) with what they were able to glean from the reports (initially wanting to present 18 members of the investigative team, who would have been able to testify to a large portion of available evidence). Apparently, the Court did not want 18 witnesses nor have time for them. I got the feeling that she's pretty confident in what they presented, or else she could have and would have insisted on more witnesses.

She did speak about the possibility of Barry getting bonded out.

At any rate, I think there's a bunch of evidence in those witness reports which, depending on who the witness might be, could be quite surprising to us at trial. If, among all those witnesses, there's an affair partner of Barry's, there was no reason for the prosecution to bring that witness forward (and upturn their life) at this point in time. The FBI guy said they had no evidence of affairs by Barry - but that's likely not what they were trying to collect (mostly electronic subpoenas, it seems to me). CBI and CCSO might have more. I believe there were only 2 CCSO individuals on the stand (and one of those was called by the defense). Defense was focused on that DNA evidence, and since prosecution didn't bring up Barry's affairs (if any), there was no reason to go into that.

Right now, DA seems to want the evidence presented to stand for itself. She showed her standard jury instruction about circumstantial evidence being equal to and as good as direct evidence. Prosecution is clearly going to help the jury understand that, as well as the fact that missing evidence doesn't mean the jury can't decide, using reason, what actually happened.

They need to contact the manufacturer and find out if the employees wear gloves anywhere along the production line. If not the DNA is uselessness.
If there was a DNA sample from anywhere in or around that house, that with high probability did not exclude a male known to have committed a violent sexual crime, then BM would not be in jail. To be clearer- DNA that "matched" a suspect 1 billion to 1. That would exculpatory information, more than reasonable doubt, no arrest, BM would not be in jail. I haven't seen the full report of course but this DNA is certainly not that. The analysis cannot exclude some known criminal sample(s), but with a low probability.

The DNA evidence was brought up to be sensational and to influence a potential jury pool.

Good morning all, it's been a good while since I posted here, but by no means have I not been devouring every word posted here during and after the second part of the (somewhat anticlimactic, IMO) preliminary hearing. That said I feel confident BM will go to trial, at least.

Suzanne has been front and center for me in the last week as well. I had the opportunity to spend time in Denver, CO for work and took a few days off for some recreation. During my travels around the area, I passed through many key points of interest in this case. Drove through/near Broomfield on my way to Boulder, saw signs to Salida on our way to Bighorn Canyon/Royal Gorge. I really wanted to detour but alas was really short on time. Such a beautiful, vast terrain...I kept thinking about all the similar places BM could have put Suzanne. Praying for a miracle that she will be found, but it will definitely take one. IMO she is likely somewhere no human could access.

On a lighter note, every landmark/sign I passed (including Garden of the Gods Rd which I remembered from little Gannon Stauch's case) I filled my boyfriend in on the details of the true crime connection. At one point he looked at me and said, "I'm not coming back from this trip alive, am I?"

I'm thinking of leaving corporate America and starting the Colorado Crime Tour Company...who's in?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hannahdunnam